The Walking Dead

vital signz

Can I just jump into this season, or shall I force myself to watch the prior two?

Can I just jump into this season, or shall I force myself to watch the prior two?

I haven't seen any of this season BUT if you skip the two prior, I imagine there will be some big pieces you'll be missing. That is, some key characters died that you didn't know about...and there are some new characters that were introduced and became main characters in those two seasons.

• Like 1

What a horrible episode.

Exactly

My thoughts: And don't worry, you can't spoil a crap episode where only 1 character is shown.

Soooo... Morgan's "code" was to clear, right? He was killing zombies all over the place and burning their bodies, and he knows that people who die become zombies until they get a head wound, right? Then he kills the two regular human guys. So if his mission is to clear, then why didn't he put them down right away with a head wound, right after they died, and then burn their bodies also? He was already burning the bodies. Why stop now? Clearly he didn't do this, because the one guy's zombie is the one that gets Eastman. One more instance of a character inconsistency.

Nothing worked for me. The casting was horrible. An overweight doughy vegan martial arts philospher? Eastman! Get it?! The dialoge was cliched and predictable. Amateurish. Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 1

Nothing worked for me. The casting was horrible. An overweight doughy vegan martial arts philospher? Eastman! Get it?! The dialoge was cliched and predictable. Amateurish.

An overweight doughy vegan martial arts philospher who kidnaps people off the side of Interstates and starves them to death.

http://www.exploregeorgia.org/

Hey, just because you're fat doesn't mean you can't go physically. I think a lot of pro wrestlers back in the 70s and 80s proved that :P

I guess. If it's loosely choreographed! I may be projecting my bias, but the actor who played Eastman (Get it!?!) wasn't very convincing physically doing Aikido. Just an awful episode.

I thought the episode was decent. I give credit to both actors because it was just them two carrying the whole episode with very little help from anything or anyone else.

As for the whole Aikido thing, Eastmen explained it as being about redirection. If you know how to counter an attack by doing that, I don't think you have to be that physically fit to pull off the basics of it. In fact it would probably work well in the world of the walking dead because even a person with basic knowledge of it can catch someone off guard with that kind of defense.

• Like 2

I really enjoyed the episode.

I think the point was that Eastman was a normal guy--overweight, flawed--but he had found how he wanted to live his life or die...on his terms.

To much reactive living in the walking dead world--most of us would be the same--but the ones to keep their humanity and be content(if not happy) would be the one who could learn to live their lives the way they want to.

• Like 1

How long was he at the cabin? Eastman (Get it!?!) has been eating tomatoes and oatmeal burgers, trying to make goat cheese, being active maintaining a cabin in the middle of nowhere and he's still overweight? He can take down a very capable man with a machine gun, but can't avoid being biten by a slow moving walker? The idealism was cliched. The acting, in my opinion, did not carry the episode or make up for the sophomoric writing. KILLLL MEEE!!!! The cell has always been unlocked!!! A third rate episode. At best.
  • Like 1

I quite liked it. Two very good actors at play. As for fat vegans, I know two of them. Remember too that they address this with Eastman's penchant for those pre-packaged sweets. He might also have been 100 pounds heavier prior to the apocalypse. Maybe he's already lost 100 pounds for all we know. Either way I find that "logic gap" a pretty absurd complaint when faced with two of the more talented actors to play roles on this often woefully-acted show. I'd rate this in the top 5-to-7 episodes the show has aired, truth be told....but that's just me. I'm sure the mindless action will commence again next week on cue for folks who are bored. :D Edited by Presto-digitation
  • Like 2

Funny how all this works. I thought the episode was terribly acted. I guess I could blame that on what I think is a predictable and cliched script. Nothing surprised me. Nothing challenged me.

Also, it's not like I called the guy obese, just overweight.

He has to be dead or the show has jumped the shark. Who's internal organs were being feasted on? Who is coming to rescue Glen from that hoard? He is dead.

He has to be dead or the show has jumped the shark. Who's internal organs were being feasted on? Who is coming to rescue Glen from that hoard? He is dead.

Well, that guy did fall on top of Glenn so the guts could have been his. But that doesn't explain why Glenn was screaming? Seeing someone getting ripped apart by a zombie is not among the worst things he's seen or been through. So, that couldn't have been the cause of his reaction.

There are several compelling theories going around the internet that he's alive. Including fan pictures taken where Glenn is shooting scenes for the show with a yet to be introduced character. It's possible Glenn could have gotten under the dumpster and will hide until the horde leaves but the zombies were swarming too heavily for me to believe that.

Glenn isn't "dead" yet but he is dead. My guess is that Rick gets a search group together to find him and that's where Maggie will run into walker Glenn and has to kill him.

I'm sure the mindless action will commence again next week on cue for folks who are bored.

This episode wasn't boring-- but was pretty useless and completely NOT worthy of having an extended runtime. What did they show us? Morgan was crazy just like he was when we last saw him fully in that episode in season 3(?). Then they showed that he met someone who tamed him and showed him how to use an Aikido(sp?) staff and that's why he's done a 180 and is now peacefully just as crazy. All this was obvious already. When the show opens with Morgan talking into the camera the viewer should think, 'Who's he talking to? That Wolf that people thought he killed 2 episodes ago?' Then when Eastman knocks out Morgan in exactly the same way as we saw Morgan with the Wolf it becomes obvious that Morgan never killed the Wolf. They really needed an extended episode for all this? This is what you get when someone (AMC) gets greedy and starts putting out 16 episode seasons but doesn't have quality writers to actually give us something worthwhile. This show is so infuriating with it's inconsistent writing of characters and pacing.

How long was Morgan with Eastman? Cause it takes years to get really proficient with that stick , the way he uses it now. I just don't see training with a passive vegetarian for a year or two could make you some f***in ninja. And akido isn't really all that effective as a self defense, not like say, Muay Thai or BJJ.. The scenes of them training on the shoreline were cheesy abd very karate kid like.. But overall, was a decent episode.