The Walking Dead

vital signz

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Mar 15 2012, 04:22 AM)
SPOILERS:

I figured the second Shane took the kid from the barn his plan was to kill Rick. I thought Rick was gonna shoot Shane with the gun as he held it upside down. I figured that's why he was holding it like that. But I did see that one coming.

Here is my take on the show at this point. One, it has made a great turn around from the first 6 episodes of this season. While I still think the writing could be better if any of us from this thread who have been posting through out the show got together on a weekend and they gave us the plot points, we could write better scenes and better dialogue than they do on this show. But it is getting way better by the episode.

I do like that they are killing main characters, especially a really main character, like Shane. While I'm not happy he is gone because of the all the points made in previous posts on the tension he created and agree that made his character worthwhile to keep around. That said, it was only a matter of time before Rick killed Shane. It was gonna happen and I figured it would be early next season, but was not surprised in the least they did it now. I like the killing of main characters because it makes the show unpredictable. That said, if they start doing it all the time just for shock value, that would suck, but wouldn't surprise me because of the less than stellar writing.

Even though I think the writing could be worlds better (have I mentioned that before tongue.gif), I still think they hit the mark at times, for instance the scenario that got Rick and Shane out there alone and Shane's plan to kill Rick (or to have Rick kill him???) was pretty good.

Now for things about the character that annoys the shit out of me, Lori, Rick's wife. And this is NOT criticism of the show, more just Lori as a character. That actually is a compliment to the writers because when they can get you to either love or hate a character, or both, they are doing their job.

1. Lori is by far the most annoying and worst Mom in history. Throughout this episode and the season, Carl is off trotting alone so many times by himself, he really should be dead and almost was! When he is up in the barn on "lookout," I'm thinking, "Really?" Dale is just killed by zombies on the farm and your gonna just let him go off on his own, up into a barn where he is isolated and trapped if a zombie were to show up. Then at the end, Carl somehow is able to get out of that house at night while there is a dangerous (or at least someone they thought was dangerous) Randall out in the woods, not to mention the zombies.

2. Lori is one of the worst wives in history. She first starts sleeping with Shane not so long after she thought Rick died. Now I get the whole end of the world scenario and know that stuff like that happens in real life, but I don't think the time frame between Rick dying (so she thought) and her shacking up with Shane was sufficient for a loving wife to greive. I mean, after a year, ok. But as far as I can remember and tell from the timeline, she hooked up with Shane pretty quickly. (I could be wrong on that)

3. Lori plants the seed in Rick's mind at the end of one of the earlier episodes this season that Shane needs to go. It was pretty obvious she was alluding to him to kill Shane, at least to me. Then, knowing how much Shane is in love with her AND how unstable Shane has become, she goes up to him while he's working on that tower and gives him just enough of a "thank you" which IMO, is why Shane planned to kill Rick. I think if she doesn't have that conversation, Shane does not hatch that plan, at least that night. Granted maybe he had it planned all along as he did have that argument with Rick about not talking to Carl and being a bad father, but that conversation she had with Shane surely didn't help matters at all.

4. Lori is responsible for multiple deaths. She is responsible for Dale's death for not watching her freaking son. And responsible for Shane's death for planting a seed of hope in Shane's mind, a mind that she knows is unstable AND she knows that Shane is in love with her. And for that matter, I blame her for Carl getting shot. Granted, Rick gave the ok for Carl to go out in the woods that day, but if I'm the mother, I just say NO!

5. Then that night she went out by herself looking for Rick when Rick went to find Hershel, and then wrecks one of their good cars and needs to be rescued by Shane. Again, another great Mother moment for her. Her husband might be dead, so she is gonna go risk her life and possibly leave Carl without a Mom. Not to mention putting Shane at risk because he had to go look for her dumb ass. Then, even if she finds them, wtf is she gonna do besides become a hindrance as they then have one more idiot to look after. I was hoping she'd get eaten by that zombie in the car!

Lori is now the only remaining character on the show that I will be glad to see go. My guess is it happens during the birth of her baby, but I hope she gets eaten by zombies!

There...I feel better getting that off my chest!

On the show overall, it is really picking up steam and I am glad that I stuck thru it when I was not enjoying it.

Lastly, I love these ideas that everyone is infected and that it could be a matter of time before they all turn into zombies. With the way Shane unraveled during this season, it could very well be that he was slowly turning into a zombie. The foreshadowing of him seeing himself in the window, when he and Rick went to drop off Randall and got into that fight, he looked like a zombie. I also buy into the idea that he wanted Rick to kill him. His brain was so messed up, I think he both wanted to kill Rick, but at the same time knew he was losing it and basically committed "suicide by cop."

TWD, while not as great as I thought it would be considering it was done by AMC, is starting to earn the huge audience it has. Hopefully it continues to go down that road! (And hopefully that road includes watching Lori get eaten by zombies! laugh.gif)

I think all these dumb things that Lori has done will catch up with her and a zombie will get her. Hopefully it happens in the season finale. The reason i'm thinking this is becuase of that conversation she had with Andrea a few episodes back where she was telling Lori how easy she had it so far. Telling her that even though she lost Rick she got Shane, then Rick came back and how her son survived his gunshot and that she's pregnant.

I think this is forshadowing that something bad is gonna happen to her. I know she's pregnant and can't do much but she's become almost as useless as Sophia's mom and Herschels son (yes, I did see him in this episode laugh.gif ) Honestly, nobody can be as stupid as Lori is and not have it comeback to bite them at some point.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Mar 15 2012, 04:31 AM)
SPOILERS:

I figured the second Shane took the kid from the barn his plan was to kill Rick.  I thought Rick was gonna shoot Shane with the gun as he held it upside down.  I figured that's why he was holding it like that.  But I did see that one coming. 

Here is my take on the show at this point.  One, it has made a great turn around from the first 6 episodes of this season.  While I still think the writing could be better if any of us from this thread who have been posting through out the show got together on a weekend and they gave us the plot points, we could write better scenes and better dialogue than they do on this show.  But it is getting way better by the episode.

I do like that they are killing main characters, especially a really main character, like Shane.  While I'm not happy he is gone because of the all the points made in previous posts on the tension he created and agree that made his character worthwhile to keep around.  That said, it was only a matter of time before Rick killed Shane.  It was gonna happen and I figured it would be early next season, but was not surprised in the least they did it now.  I like the killing of main characters because it makes the show unpredictable.  That said, if they start doing it all the time just for shock value, that would suck, but wouldn't surprise me because of the less than stellar writing.

Even though I think the writing could be worlds better (have I mentioned that before tongue.gif), I still think they hit the mark at times, for instance the scenario that got Rick and Shane out there alone and Shane's plan to kill Rick (or to have Rick kill him???) was pretty good.

Now for things about the character that annoys the shit out of me, Lori, Rick's wife.  And this is NOT criticism of the show, more just Lori as a character.  That actually is a compliment to the writers because when they can get you to either love or hate a character, or both, they are doing their job.

1.  Lori is by far the most annoying and worst Mom in history.  Throughout this episode and the season, Carl is off trotting alone so many times by himself, he really should be dead and almost was!  When he is up in the barn on "lookout," I'm thinking, "Really?"  Dale is just killed by zombies on the farm and your gonna just let him go off on his own, up into a barn where he is isolated and trapped if a zombie were to show up.  Then at the end, Carl somehow is able to get out of that house at night while there is a dangerous (or at least someone they thought was dangerous) Randall out in the woods, not to mention the zombies. 

2.  Lori is one of the worst wives in history.  She first starts sleeping with Shane not so long after she thought Rick died.  Now I get the whole end of the world scenario and know that stuff like that happens in real life, but I don't think the time frame between Rick dying (so she thought) and her shacking up with Shane was sufficient for a loving wife to greive.  I mean, after a year, ok.  But as far as I can remember and tell from the timeline, she hooked up with Shane pretty quickly.  (I could be wrong on that)

3. Lori plants the seed in Rick's mind at the end of one of the earlier episodes this season that Shane needs to go.  It was pretty obvious she was alluding to him to kill Shane, at least to me.  Then, knowing how much Shane is in love with her AND how unstable Shane has become, she goes up to him while he's working on that tower and gives him just enough of a "thank you" which IMO, is why Shane planned to kill Rick.  I think if she doesn't have that conversation, Shane does not hatch that plan, at least that night.  Granted maybe he had it planned all along as he did have that argument with Rick about not talking to Carl and being a bad father, but that conversation she had with Shane surely didn't help matters at all.

4.  Lori is responsible for multiple deaths.  She is responsible for Dale's death for not watching her freaking son.  And responsible for Shane's death for planting a seed of hope in Shane's mind, a mind that she knows is unstable AND she knows that Shane is in love with her.  And for that matter, I blame her for Carl getting shot.  Granted, Rick gave the ok for Carl to go out in the woods that day, but if I'm the mother, I just say NO!

5. Then that night she went out by herself looking for Rick when Rick went to find Hershel, and then wrecks one of their good cars and needs to be rescued by Shane.  Again, another great Mother moment for her.  Her husband might be dead, so she is gonna go risk her life and possibly leave Carl without a Mom.  Not to mention putting Shane at risk because he had to go look for her dumb ass.  Then, even if she finds them, wtf is she gonna do besides become a hindrance as they then have one more idiot to look after.  I was hoping she'd get eaten by that zombie in the car!

Lori is now the only remaining character on the show that I will be glad to see go.  My guess is it happens during the birth of her baby, but I hope she gets eaten by zombies!

On the show overall, it is really picking up steam and I am glad that I stuck thru it when I was not enjoying it.

Lastly, I love these ideas that everyone is infected and that it could be a matter of time before they all turn into zombies.  With the way Shane unraveled during this season, it could very well be that he was slowly turning into a zombie.  The foreshadowing of him seeing himself in the window, when he and Rick went to drop off Randall and got into that fight, he looked like a zombie.  I also buy into the idea that he wanted Rick to kill him.  His brain was so messed up, I think he both wanted to kill Rick, but at the same time knew he was losing it and basically committed "suicide by cop."

TWD, while not as great as I thought it would be considering it was done by AMC, is starting to earn the huge audience it has.  Hopefully it continues to go down that road! (And hopefully that road includes watching Lori get eaten by zombies!  laugh.gif)

I think all these dumb things that Lori has done will catch up with her and a zombie will get her. Hopefully it happens in the season finale. The reason i'm thinking this is becuase of that conversation she had with Andrea a few episodes back where she was telling Lori how easy she had it so far. Telling her that even though she lost Rick she got Shane, then Rick came back and how her son survived his gunshot and that she's pregnant.

I think this is forshadowing that something bad is gonna happen to her. I know she's pregnant and can't do much but she's become almost as useless as Sophia's mom and Herschels son (yes, I did see him in this episode laugh.gif ) Honestly, nobody can be as stupid as Lori is and not have it comeback to bite them at some point.

^^^ Agree 100%. If I knew zombies were lurking about, I sure as hell wouldn't let my kid out of my sight, yet Carl is everywhere he's not supposed to be!

I was really hoping the zombie would get her when she was in that car crash, she really needs to go!

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Mar 15 2012, 07:16 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Mar 15 2012, 03:21 AM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Mar 14 2012, 06:37 PM)
I hope this girl from the comic shows up. she looks like a badass.

A lone woman later came upon the prison by the name of Michonne, seemingly having survived alone using a katana and two armless, jawless walkers.

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/5/55549/1179588-6a00d83452300269e2010535b750d3970b_800wi_super.jpg

Again, not to be a dick, but please put something on posts like this about it being a "comic book spoiler". I don't want to know anything about what may be coming.

Just asking.

trink39.gif

Now you're just starting to get really anal about these spoiler alerts. The post didn't reveal any storylines or plot twists or anything. All it did was mention the potential of a possible new character. If anything from the way she's being described it should be making you look forward to the addition of a new and interresting character.

I know it's peaked my interrest wink.gif

Just so you understand, I wasn't necessarily talking about that particular pic or anything else in particular, although I seem to remember a few comments that gave possible future plot points away. Then again, even on that new pic, I don't want to have any idea what or who may come. I get your point, but I just don't want to be reading along and then have someone spoil something. I never go into a thread until I am caught up for the very reason I don't want to have something I didn't know revealed.

So I'm not trying to get crazy with the spoilers, just want people to be careful what they share from the comics.

And on my review on hating Lori...I am shocked! I figured there would be some people sticking up for her for some reason. But evidentially, everyone is getting the same vibe from her. She sucks!

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Mar 15 2012, 07:31 AM)
SPOILERS:

I figured the second Shane took the kid from the barn his plan was to kill Rick.  I thought Rick was gonna shoot Shane with the gun as he held it upside down.  I figured that's why he was holding it like that.  But I did see that one coming. 

Here is my take on the show at this point.  One, it has made a great turn around from the first 6 episodes of this season.  While I still think the writing could be better if any of us from this thread who have been posting through out the show got together on a weekend and they gave us the plot points, we could write better scenes and better dialogue than they do on this show.  But it is getting way better by the episode.

I do like that they are killing main characters, especially a really main character, like Shane.  While I'm not happy he is gone because of the all the points made in previous posts on the tension he created and agree that made his character worthwhile to keep around.  That said, it was only a matter of time before Rick killed Shane.  It was gonna happen and I figured it would be early next season, but was not surprised in the least they did it now.  I like the killing of main characters because it makes the show unpredictable.  That said, if they start doing it all the time just for shock value, that would suck, but wouldn't surprise me because of the less than stellar writing.

Now for things about the character that annoys the shit out of me, Lori, Rick's wife.  And this is NOT criticism of the show, more just Lori as a character.  That actually is a compliment to the writers because when they can get you to either love or hate a character, or both, they are doing their job.

1.  Lori is by far the most annoying and worst Mom in history.  Throughout this episode and the season, Carl is off trotting alone so many times by himself, he really should be dead and almost was!  When he is up in the barn on "lookout," I'm thinking, "Really?"  Dale is just killed by zombies on the farm and your gonna just let him go off on his own, up into a barn where he is isolated and trapped if a zombie were to show up.  Then at the end, Carl somehow is able to get out of that house at night while there is a dangerous (or at least someone they thought was dangerous) Randall out in the woods, not to mention the zombies. 

2.  Lori is one of the worst wives in history.  She first starts sleeping with Shane not so long after she thought Rick died.  Now I get the whole end of the world scenario and know that stuff like that happens in real life, but I don't think the time frame between Rick dying (so she thought) and her shacking up with Shane was sufficient for a loving wife to grieve.  I mean, after a year, ok.  But as far as I can remember and tell from the timeline, she hooked up with Shane pretty quickly.  (I could be wrong on that)

3. Lori plants the seed in Rick's mind at the end of one of the earlier episodes this season that Shane needs to go.  It was pretty obvious she was alluding to him to kill Shane, at least to me.  Then, knowing how much Shane is in love with her AND how unstable Shane has become, she goes up to him while he's working on that tower and gives him just enough of a "thank you" which IMO, is why Shane planned to kill Rick.  I think if she doesn't have that conversation, Shane does not hatch that plan, at least that night.  Granted maybe he had it planned all along as he did have that argument with Rick about not talking to Carl and being a bad father, but that conversation she had with Shane surely didn't help matters at all.

4.  Lori is responsible for multiple deaths.  She is responsible for Dale's death for not watching her freaking son.  And responsible for Shane's death for planting a seed of hope in Shane's mind, a mind that she knows is unstable AND she knows that Shane is in love with her.  And for that matter, I blame her for Carl getting shot.  Granted, Rick gave the ok for Carl to go out in the woods that day, but if I'm the mother, I just say NO!

5. Then that night she went out by herself looking for Rick when Rick went to find Hershel, and then wrecks one of their good cars and needs to be rescued by Shane.  Again, another great Mother moment for her.  Her husband might be dead, so she is gonna go risk her life and possibly leave Carl without a Mom.  Not to mention putting Shane at risk because he had to go look for her dumb ass.  Then, even if she finds them, wtf is she gonna do besides become a hindrance as they then have one more idiot to look after.  I was hoping she'd get eaten by that zombie in the car!

Lori is now the only remaining character on the show that I will be glad to see go.  My guess is it happens during the birth of her baby, but I hope she gets eaten by zombies!

Lastly, I love these ideas that everyone is infected and that it could be a matter of time before they all turn into zombies.  With the way Shane unraveled during this season, it could very well be that he was slowly turning into a zombie.  The foreshadowing of him seeing himself in the window, when he and Rick went to drop off Randall and got into that fight, he looked like a zombie.  I also buy into the idea that he wanted Rick to kill him.  His brain was so messed up, I think he both wanted to kill Rick, but at the same time knew he was losing it and basically committed "suicide by cop."

TWD, while not as great as I thought it would be considering it was done by AMC, is starting to earn the huge audience it has.  Hopefully it continues to go down that road! (And hopefully that road includes watching Lori get eaten by zombies!  laugh.gif)

Let's hope that a zombie literally takes a "bite" out of her! laugh.gif

On top of that, I think there was some foreshadowing involved when Rick was telling Carl in the Barn, again when Lori just let him out of the house, that he and Lori would both eventually die. While that is a normal fact of life even in regular life, I think this may have been a bit of foreshadowing that Lori's time is drawing near!

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Mar 16 2012, 09:58 AM)

I read in a magazine yesterday Lori is ready and waiting to be killed off. "After all it is The Walking Dead" she said. Can't come soon enough!

won't happen til after the birth

QUOTE (furie @ Mar 16 2012, 12:37 PM)
QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Mar 16 2012, 09:58 AM)

I read in a magazine yesterday Lori is ready and waiting to be killed off. "After all it is The Walking Dead" she said.  Can't come soon enough!

won't happen til after the birth

POSSIBLE SPOILER...MY THEORY...MAYBE?

Lori ends up starting to give birth to the baby while they are under attack from zombies. Lori ends up getting bit by a zombie right BEFORE the umbilical cord is cut or maybe she gets bit like a half hour before she has the baby. Then the baby becomes a human-zombie hybrid and maybe the key to finding the cure????

I'm telling you, if those of us who have been posting in this forum got together one weekend, we could end up writing a better story and dialogue than they currently do!

SPOILER

I'm disappointed. Only 2 people died so far. And only the very minor characters. I was hoping to get rid of someone like Charol or Andrea. Somebody major. But there is still 20 minutes, hopefully I'm speaking too soon

And I call shenanigans on all of them meeting up at once. Especially since T-Dogg and Lori were going in the opposite direction

A lone woman later came upon the prison by the name of Michonne, seemingly having survived alone using a katana and two armless, jawless walkers.

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/5/55549/1179588-6a00d83452300269e2010535b750d3970b_800wi_super.jpg

I wonder how they'll throw her into the show.

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Mar 18 2012, 08:57 PM)

Unless you missed it, she saved Andrea from a zombie on tonight's show.

This was a really good season finale. It doesn't bother me that nobody major was killed off in this episode since Shane and Dale already died this season. You've gotta save some things for next season. I liked the opening scene with the helicopter flying over the city to show how the noise drew the zombies out of their and helped lead them to the farm.

Rick has really established himself as the unquestionable leader now. It looks like from that ending scene that they'll find the prison and make that their new home.

I'm asking that after. I'm still wondering how they'll include her while the others go to the prison. Will they eventually join them, or will they just survive on their own for a while and come back to the others near the end somehow.

if you don,t have to be bite to be a walker.you only have to die. Then why in the traffic jam up were there dead people with no trauma to their brains sitting in cars?

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Mar 18 2012, 08:57 PM)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/custom/LESLEY/Walking_Dead_Full_Story.jpg

QUOTE (furie @ Mar 19 2012, 11:02 AM)
if you don,t have to be bite to be a walker.you only have to die. Then why in the traffic jam up were there dead people with no trauma to their brains sitting in cars?

They didn't turn yet would be my guess. Plus, we can't say that there wasn't any head trama. There may have been something like a small knife wound to the head or whatever that was never shown.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Mar 19 2012, 11:22 AM)

They didn't turn yet would be my guess. Plus, we can't say that there wasn't any head trama. There may have been something like a small knife wound to the head or whatever that was never shown.

it can't be that that haven't turned yet. the outbreak was weeks ago at this point and the cdc doctor said it took anywhere from a few minutes to 3 days to turn.

Small knife wound? some of them were locked in their cars alone, like the one karl got the hatchet from. No. it's a movie mistake.

QUOTE (furie @ Mar 19 2012, 12:33 PM)

it can't be that that haven't turned yet. the outbreak was weeks ago at this point and the cdc doctor said it took anywhere from a few minutes to 3 days to turn.

Small knife wound? some of them were locked in their cars alone, like the one karl got the hatchet from. No. it's a movie mistake.

You are so nitpicking with this criticism. It's been explained sufficiently. With the major problems this show is trying to overcome you're complaining about this?

QUOTE (furie @ Mar 19 2012, 11:33 AM)

Plus, who knows, maybe the disease wasn't airborne yet, or even if it was...some of the car windows and doors were most likely probably closed and I'm not too sure but I don't think a virus can easily get through that. There are a lot of possibilities man.

where's the complaint? How is anything i've said complaining?

I'm just trying to either reconcile an inconsistency or looking at the show on a deeper level.

There could be a real reason why these corpses never turned and it's something that the writers will reveal later, maybe the sourse of a cure. Or it could be a mistake. i'm bringing it up for discussion so that we might devise that answer. This is what a fan does.

Edited by furie

QUOTE (furie @ Mar 19 2012, 06:18 PM)
I'm just trying to either reconcile an inconsistency or looking at the show on a deeper level.
There could be a real reason why these corpses never turned and it's something that the writers will reveal later, maybe the sourse of a cure. Or it could be a mistake. i'm bringing it up for discussion so that we might devise that answer. This is what a fan does.

Or maybe they suffered head trauma!

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Mar 19 2012, 04:14 PM)
QUOTE (furie @ Mar 19 2012, 06:18 PM)
There could be a real reason why these corpses never turned and it's something that the writers will reveal later, maybe the sourse of a cure. Or it could be a mistake. i'm bringing it up for discussion  so that we might devise that answer. This is what a fan does.

Or maybe they suffered head trauma!

I remember seeing a Talking Dead episode where they said that all the people in the cars had some kind of head trauma and that the writers had taken into account that everyone was already infected.