The Walking Dead

vital signz

That was a really good episode.

Big difference from what we all complained about a few months ago.

Too bad about Shane but I'm glad he's gone. I was tired of the crap between him and Rick.

Don't know whay this group never went out to find assault rifles automatic weapons. Withh all the military presence at the time of the outbreak I'm surprised they are not everywhere.

Interesting to se what happens when the zombie hoard arrives.

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Mar 11 2012, 10:22 PM)
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
SPOILER ALERT

GOD DAMMIT! The best character and actor (imho) has been killed off. He had so much more potential for conflict with Rick and the rest of the group. Shane could have been dealt with in Season 3 as he progresses to be more and more unstable, but now who will oppose Rick? It would have been much more interesting to see the two fight over the fatherhood of the baby after it was born. I agree that Rick had no other choice, but Shane was too good of a villian in this series and would be a great help in this final battle.

While I agree with most of your comment, I have to disagree on Shane's acting ability. Then again, if the writers wanted someone to imitate Billy Bob Thornton's character in the movie "Sling Blade" then he has nailed it! laugh.gif

COMIC BOOK READERS,

One thing I'd like to ask to those of you who have read the comics, please don't include any future plot info from the comics into a general comment on the show unless you put something like "comic book spoiler" first.

While I've heard that the show and the comics are different, I'm sure there are some things that are going to remain true to the comics and it would suck to have a future plot point revealed. I'm just kindly asking to please just add something like "comic book spoiler" if it's something regarding a future event.

If it's something that has already taken place, that would be cool and interesting to hear about, and wouldn't bother me at all. But if it's a future thing, that would suck if it revealed something about to happen.

And please don't think I'm ripping on anyone who has mentioned stuff from the comics. I know you wouldn't do it intentionally.

Thanks!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Mar 13 2012, 12:32 AM)
COMIC BOOK READERS,

One thing I'd like to ask to those of you who have read the comics, please don't include any future plot info from the comics into a general comment on the show unless you put something like "comic book spoiler" first.

While I've heard that the show and the comics are different, I'm sure there are some things that are going to remain true to the comics and it would suck to have a future plot point revealed. I'm just kindly asking to please just add something like "comic book spoiler" if it's something regarding a future event.

If it's something that has already taken place, that would be cool and interesting to hear about, and wouldn't bother me at all. But if it's a future thing, that would suck if it revealed something about to happen.

And please don't think I'm ripping on anyone who has mentioned stuff from the comics. I know you wouldn't do it intentionally.

Thanks!

trink39.gif

This^^^^^^^^^^^

yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif

My co-worker has read the comics and from what he tells me it's nothing like the show. They've taken some general ideas from the comic and used them on the show but the way the stories play out are different.

Here's a few things that are different (I don't spoil future storylines):

Shane is killed very early in the comics. He pulls a gun on Rick and Carl shoots Shane dead. Shane never even makes it to the farm.

Herschel invites them to stay on the farm.

The zombies in Herschels barn escape and end up killing several of the survivors which causes them to flee the farm.

Dale is killed much later in the comics then on the show.

In the comic book Maggie is nowhere near as cute as Lauren Cohen, the actress who plays her on TV.

OK, that last one isn't really a spoiler laugh.gif

More than that happens in the comics but this is all I can tell you in case the show does take some more stories from it. Hopefully my co-worker did a good job explaining everything to me. i could be wrong on some things since I haven't read the comics myself.

Edited by J2112YYZ

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Mar 12 2012, 03:18 PM)
QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Mar 12 2012, 01:42 PM)

I hope Daryl's last.

Time for Daryl's bro to come back.

I'm wondering if his bro is with the other group that is nearby and if they will ride in to the rescue. It was mentioned on the Talking Dead more characters would be revealed. Having others help this group and now become part of it would set up the next season with how they relate to each other, etc. I think this could become a real possibility if they kill off more of the group in the season finale

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Mar 13 2012, 10:26 AM)

I hope Daryl's last.

I'm wondering if his bro is with the other group that is nearby and if they will ride in to the rescue. It was mentioned on the Talking Dead more characters would be revealed. Having others help this group and now become part of it would set up the next season with how they relate to each other, etc. I think this could become a real possibility if they kill off more of the group in the season finale

Let's start with Lori.

QUOTE (Ultra @ Mar 12 2012, 11:31 AM)
QUOTE (Khan @ Mar 12 2012, 07:30 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Mar 11 2012, 10:41 PM)
QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Mar 11 2012, 10:37 PM)
Well in the preview, Daryl is driving a motorcycle. I assume he'll be alright.

When else has a zombie come back to life without being bit? So far Shane & Randall are the only two that ever have.

All dead people become zombies, you don't have to be bit by a zombie to be a zombie.

Yes...wonder if they will ever explain how it is happening?

Spoiler*

I think it is pretty clear now what Dr. Jenner had whispered into Rick's ear at the end of the Season 1 before the CDC blew up. Everyone is already infected. This would explain why both of them came back as zombies after being killed and why Dr. Jenner had no hope of finding a cure.

that's not a spoiler, it's your opinion.

How would the doctor know the virus was everywhere, when he was stuck in that building without contact with anyone and no samples from the outside world?

QUOTE (furie @ Mar 13 2012, 06:34 PM)
QUOTE (Ultra @ Mar 12 2012, 11:31 AM)
QUOTE (Khan @ Mar 12 2012, 07:30 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Mar 11 2012, 10:41 PM)
QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Mar 11 2012, 10:37 PM)
Well in the preview, Daryl is driving a motorcycle. I assume he'll be alright.

When else has a zombie come back to life without being bit? So far Shane & Randall are the only two that ever have.

All dead people become zombies, you don't have to be bit by a zombie to be a zombie.

Yes...wonder if they will ever explain how it is happening?

Spoiler*

I think it is pretty clear now what Dr. Jenner had whispered into Rick's ear at the end of the Season 1 before the CDC blew up. Everyone is already infected. This would explain why both of them came back as zombies after being killed and why Dr. Jenner had no hope of finding a cure.

that's not a spoiler, it's your opinion.

How would the doctor know the virus was everywhere, when he was stuck in that building without contact with anyone and no samples from the outside world?

Ok, I can't let this one go by.

You do realize that "that building" that Dr. Jenner was locked up in was the Center for Disease Control, right? He was the last one left, but there had been many people there working to discover the cause of people turning after they died. He said that many doctors/workers began committing suicide when they felt all hope was lost. If they didn't kill themselves by destroying their brain, they would come back. You would have to think that the CDC, of all places in the U.S., would have heard that people were turning without being bitten or scratched.

When Carl shot Shane after he had turned, Rick didn't seem the least bit surprised that Shane had become a Walker. Also, I can't recall if Rick was walking away from Shane when he encountered Carl, or if Carl had come upon the scene with Rick hovering over Shane. If it was the later, then the argument could be made that Rick was waiting for Shane to turn so he could killer him again. Although one could also make the argument that if Rick knew Shane would turn, he could have just stabbed Shane in the head while Shane was dead.

My guess is (and it's probably wrong) that Rick will reveal to the group that Jenner told him that whatever virus or bacteria it is that causes people to turn after they die, it is not transmitted by a zombie bite, but rather it is something that everyone already has.

Bites, and maybe even scratches, will infect you with something that will kill you in time. But everyone who dies will turn, unless their brain is destroyed.

As far as I know, this is the only zombie series with this twist.

Two things struck me about how the whole Shane killing went down.

1) Shane did everything he did, beginning with killing Randall, with and eye towards being killed by Rick. There were too many things he would have had to have botched (really botched) in order for him to not have intended it. It was just believable enough at first to get people out looking for Randall. But as soon as Rick started to ask questions, it was all over. He just had to get Rick out in the woods alone, threaten to kill him, and taunt him by talking about Lori and Carl. Shane had had enough of that world, and that life.

2) When Lori went to Shane and apologized for for everything that had happened, she knew she was telling him that nothing that had happened between them had been real. That crushed Shane and pushed him over the edge. Lori knew that would happen. She had basically instructed Rick to kill Shane a few episodes prior. Rick had his chance, but didn't follow through. Shane had saved his life before, and Rick felt indebted. Lori was probably really disappointed to see Shane return, especially after hearing what had happened. So she went and pushed Shane over the edge.

That was a pretty good bit of writing in that episode.

QUOTE (Django @ Mar 13 2012, 07:24 PM)

1) Shane did everything he did, beginning with killing Randall, with and eye towards being killed by Rick. There were too many things he would have had to have botched (really botched) in order for him to not have intended it. It was just believable enough at first to get people out looking for Randall. But as soon as Rick started to ask questions, it was all over. He just had to get Rick out in the woods alone, threaten to kill him, and taunt him by talking about Lori and Carl. Shane had had enough of that world, and that life.

2) When Lori went to Shane and apologized for for everything that had happened, she knew she was telling him that nothing that had happened between them had been real. That crushed Shane and pushed him over the edge. Lori knew that would happen. She had basically instructed Rick to kill Shane a few episodes prior. Rick had his chance, but didn't follow through. Shane had saved his life before, and Rick felt indebted. Lori was probably really disappointed to see Shane return, especially after hearing what had happened. So she went and pushed Shane over the edge.

These are pretty much my thoughts on it to. They even brought it up on Talking Dead after the show. They mentioned how it seemed as though Shane was at the point where he wanted to die after what Lori told him and that's why he did and said the things he did.

You're right, it was a very good piece of writing on the show.

QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Mar 13 2012, 03:24 PM)
QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Mar 13 2012, 10:26 AM)

I hope Daryl's last.

Let's start with Lori.

^^^ agree

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Feb 22 2012, 10:03 PM)
QUOTE (Archangel717 @ Feb 22 2012, 10:54 AM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Feb 21 2012, 05:54 PM)
Showing what's happening in the rest of the world isn't a good idea because the cast is already overloaded. If they showed what was happening in other places there would be too many characters lost in the shuffle and the show already has that problem with the current cast.

I'm guessing everyone else in the world is probably going through similar situations that this group is. If the show goes for awhile then they should expand to other parts of the world and other people. But the story of this group is still yet to be told, so there's no need for it yet.

There's plenty of things they could do to show what's happening in the world. If the cast gets too overloaded, all they have to do is kill off the unlikeable characters.

After that, they could pick up a signal on the CB, and go investigate.

It would certainly add some excitement. Season 2 has been boring as sh*t.

True, they could do it like that but like I said, what's happening with this group is probably very similar to what the other survivors are going through. So there's no need to tell the same story twice with different people.

I could think of a few things. They could have something similar to the season 1 finale. Have them find a group of people that are working to find a cure, or something similar.

It would work if they did it right, and it would make the show exciting again.

QUOTE (Django @ Mar 13 2012, 08:24 PM)

1) Shane did everything he did, beginning with killing Randall, with and eye towards being killed by Rick.  There were too many things he would have had to have botched (really botched) in order for him to not have intended it.  It was just believable enough at first to get people out looking for Randall.  But as soon as Rick started to ask questions, it was all over.  He just had to get Rick out in the woods alone, threaten to kill him, and taunt him by talking about Lori and Carl.  Shane had had enough of that world, and that life.

2) When Lori went to Shane and apologized for for everything that had happened, she knew she was telling him that nothing that had happened between them had been real.  That crushed Shane and pushed him over the edge.  Lori knew that would happen.  She had basically instructed Rick to kill Shane a few episodes prior.  Rick had his chance, but didn't follow through.  Shane had saved his life before, and Rick felt indebted.  Lori was probably really disappointed to see Shane return, especially after hearing what had happened.  So she went and pushed Shane over the edge.

I agree with most of what you said.

I have been wanting to finish my review on the last episode, but I am so wrapped up in other threads, I haven't had time. (I know you are all just chomping at the bit waiting to hear what I think!! tongue.gif)

But I have a half finished review and it discusses a couple things you brought up. I will finish it today so you guys will all stop PMing me for my review!!! tongue.gif laugh.gif (Just so I am clear...I have received exactly...0 requests for my review!!! wacko.gif )

QUOTE (Archangel717 @ Mar 14 2012, 01:48 PM)
Showing what's happening in the rest of the world isn't a good idea because the cast is already overloaded. If they showed what was happening in other places there would be too many characters lost in the shuffle and the show already has that problem with the current cast.

I'm guessing everyone else in the world is probably going through similar situations that this group is. If the show goes for awhile then they should expand to other parts of the world and other people. But the story of this group is still yet to be told, so there's no need for it yet.

There's plenty of things they could do to show what's happening in the world. If the cast gets too overloaded, all they have to do is kill off the unlikeable characters.

True, they could do it like that but like I said, what's happening with this group is probably very similar to what the other survivors are going through. So there's no need to tell the same story twice with different people.

I could think of a few things. They could have something similar to the season 1 finale. Have them find a group of people that are working to find a cure, or something similar.

Just to refresh my memory. Didn't the second season start with Rick talking on a radio trying to contact the black guy who saved him in the very first episode? If I remember correctly that guy and his son went out in search of another group of survivors or something like that.

I agree that showing event in the rest of the world could be confusing. If anything they could show show brief glimpses of the chaos (or peace if a successful stronghold had been created) but without focussing on anyone or anyplace in particular and not for very long as there is plenty of story with this group that needs to be worked on.

QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Mar 14 2012, 04:47 PM)
QUOTE (Archangel717 @ Mar 14 2012, 01:48 PM)

Just to refresh my memory. Didn't the second season start with Rick talking on a radio trying to contact the black guy who saved him in the very first episode? If I remember correctly that guy and his son went out in search of another group of survivors or something like that.

I agree that showing event in the rest of the world could be confusing. If anything they could show show brief glimpses of the chaos (or peace if a successful stronghold had been created) but without focussing on anyone or anyplace in particular and not for very long as there is plenty of story with this group that needs to be worked on.

The thing about tv, is that people don't want to see the same thing every week. They want to see something new.

What I would do, is kill off a couple of characters, have them pick up a radio transmission while travelling, have them go investigate to find a stronghold. (That military base they mentioned at the end of the first season)

The third season could be about them travelling to the stronghold, then they could get there at the end of the season. At that point, they could either find a stronghold full of survivors, or the smoldering remains of the stronghold with a few survivors.

They could either end the show on that note, have a scientist request help from them to find a cure, or just have a new location with a couple of new characters. No matter where they go with it from that point, it would make the show a lot more interesting, and suspensful if they have a goal.

I hope this girl from the comic shows up. she looks like a badass.

A lone woman later came upon the prison by the name of Michonne, seemingly having survived alone using a katana and two armless, jawless walkers.

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/5/55549/1179588-6a00d83452300269e2010535b750d3970b_800wi_super.jpg

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Mar 14 2012, 05:37 PM)

A lone woman later came upon the prison by the name of Michonne, seemingly having survived alone using a katana and two armless, jawless walkers.

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/5/55549/1179588-6a00d83452300269e2010535b750d3970b_800wi_super.jpg

I read an interview with the producers last year that the gal with the katana will show up eventually.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Mar 14 2012, 06:37 PM)

What does she do with the walkers?

I just did a Wiki search and found out who the walkers are, but it doesn't really explain the meaning of what the deal is with them.

Edited by Invisible To Telescopic Eye

Again, not to be a dick, but please put something on posts like this about it being a "comic book spoiler". I don't want to know anything about what may be coming.

Just asking.

trink39.gif

SPOILERS:

I figured the second Shane took the kid from the barn his plan was to kill Rick. I thought Rick was gonna shoot Shane with the gun as he held it upside down. I figured that's why he was holding it like that. But I did see that one coming.

Here is my take on the show at this point. One, it has made a great turn around from the first 6 episodes of this season. While I still think the writing could be better if any of us from this thread who have been posting through out the show got together on a weekend and they gave us the plot points, we could write better scenes and better dialogue than they do on this show. But it is getting way better by the episode.

I do like that they are killing main characters, especially a really main character, like Shane. While I'm not happy he is gone because of the all the points made in previous posts on the tension he created and agree that made his character worthwhile to keep around. That said, it was only a matter of time before Rick killed Shane. It was gonna happen and I figured it would be early next season, but was not surprised in the least they did it now. I like the killing of main characters because it makes the show unpredictable. That said, if they start doing it all the time just for shock value, that would suck, but wouldn't surprise me because of the less than stellar writing.

Even though I think the writing could be worlds better (have I mentioned that before tongue.gif), I still think they hit the mark at times, for instance the scenario that got Rick and Shane out there alone and Shane's plan to kill Rick (or to have Rick kill him???) was pretty good.

Now for things about the character that annoys the shit out of me, Lori, Rick's wife. And this is NOT criticism of the show, more just Lori as a character. That actually is a compliment to the writers because when they can get you to either love or hate a character, or both, they are doing their job.

1. Lori is by far the most annoying and worst Mom in history. Throughout this episode and the season, Carl is off trotting alone so many times by himself, he really should be dead and almost was! When he is up in the barn on "lookout," I'm thinking, "Really?" Dale is just killed by zombies on the farm and your gonna just let him go off on his own, up into a barn where he is isolated and trapped if a zombie were to show up. Then at the end, Carl somehow is able to get out of that house at night while there is a dangerous (or at least someone they thought was dangerous) Randall out in the woods, not to mention the zombies.

2. Lori is one of the worst wives in history. She first starts sleeping with Shane not so long after she thought Rick died. Now I get the whole end of the world scenario and know that stuff like that happens in real life, but I don't think the time frame between Rick dying (so she thought) and her shacking up with Shane was sufficient for a loving wife to greive. I mean, after a year, ok. But as far as I can remember and tell from the timeline, she hooked up with Shane pretty quickly. (I could be wrong on that)

3. Lori plants the seed in Rick's mind at the end of one of the earlier episodes this season that Shane needs to go. It was pretty obvious she was alluding to him to kill Shane, at least to me. Then, knowing how much Shane is in love with her AND how unstable Shane has become, she goes up to him while he's working on that tower and gives him just enough of a "thank you" which IMO, is why Shane planned to kill Rick. I think if she doesn't have that conversation, Shane does not hatch that plan, at least that night. Granted maybe he had it planned all along as he did have that argument with Rick about not talking to Carl and being a bad father, but that conversation she had with Shane surely didn't help matters at all.

4. Lori is responsible for multiple deaths. She is responsible for Dale's death for not watching her freaking son. And responsible for Shane's death for planting a seed of hope in Shane's mind, a mind that she knows is unstable AND she knows that Shane is in love with her. And for that matter, I blame her for Carl getting shot. Granted, Rick gave the ok for Carl to go out in the woods that day, but if I'm the mother, I just say NO!

5. Then that night she went out by herself looking for Rick when Rick went to find Hershel, and then wrecks one of their good cars and needs to be rescued by Shane. Again, another great Mother moment for her. Her husband might be dead, so she is gonna go risk her life and possibly leave Carl without a Mom. Not to mention putting Shane at risk because he had to go look for her dumb ass. Then, even if she finds them, wtf is she gonna do besides become a hindrance as they then have one more idiot to look after. I was hoping she'd get eaten by that zombie in the car!

Lori is now the only remaining character on the show that I will be glad to see go. My guess is it happens during the birth of her baby, but I hope she gets eaten by zombies!

There...I feel better getting that off my chest!

On the show overall, it is really picking up steam and I am glad that I stuck thru it when I was not enjoying it.

Lastly, I love these ideas that everyone is infected and that it could be a matter of time before they all turn into zombies. With the way Shane unraveled during this season, it could very well be that he was slowly turning into a zombie. The foreshadowing of him seeing himself in the window, when he and Rick went to drop off Randall and got into that fight, he looked like a zombie. I also buy into the idea that he wanted Rick to kill him. His brain was so messed up, I think he both wanted to kill Rick, but at the same time knew he was losing it and basically committed "suicide by cop."

TWD, while not as great as I thought it would be considering it was done by AMC, is starting to earn the huge audience it has. Hopefully it continues to go down that road! (And hopefully that road includes watching Lori get eaten by zombies! laugh.gif)

goodpost.gif

I agree with almost all.

I don't think Shane wanted to die. I think he wanted to take Lori (I don't know why) and Carl and live as they had when they thought Rick was dead. The talk between Lori and Shane gave him hope there was a chance at a future. Even though it ended on a low note for him, there was enough of a high note in the talk to give him hope.....That's what I think.

And I agree. Can people please stop posting things that are going to, or supposed to, or hope to see happen based on the comics in this thread.

Start a TWD thread in "Turn The Page" if you want to post about the comics.

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Mar 15 2012, 03:21 AM)

Again, not to be a dick, but please put something on posts like this about it being a "comic book spoiler". I don't want to know anything about what may be coming.

Just asking.

trink39.gif

Now you're just starting to get really anal about these spoiler alerts. The post didn't reveal any storylines or plot twists or anything. All it did was mention the potential of a possible new character. If anything from the way she's being described it should be making you look forward to the addition of a new and interresting character.

I know it's peaked my interrest wink.gif