The Walking Dead

vital signz

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Mar 6 2012, 08:47 AM)
Shane is crazy, selfish and a hot head. While his descisions do come from a selfish place they've all still benefited the group. Taking out Otis was a hard choice but it needed to be made, not only to save himself but to make sure he got the medical supplies needed for Carl to survive.

He's also the reason that Herschel realised he was wrong about the zombies and that they were dead and not sick like he thought. Shane breaking open the barn to let the zombies get out so they could kill them all was to protect the group to. The same with wanting to leave Randall on his own at first and then wanting to kill him so he couldn't do anything to hurt the group.

Now, for the talk about the winter coming and possibly freezing the zombies, does winter really get that bad in the Atlanta area? I was born, raised and have lived my whole life in Buffalo, NY and i've got a good idea how bad a winter can get sometimes. But isn't Atlanta known for it's warmer weather? I figured that even in the winter it probably doesn't get that bad.

That's a good question. I'm going based on what Rick said in last weeks episode. Remember he said something about his brother-in-law (or someone) getting stuck in the winter?

I can't believe I just looked on Wikipedia for the climate of Georgia, but I did and here is what it says. They must be around the mountains.

The mountains of Georgia have the coolest climate and most frequent snowfall in the state, although snowfall is less than any other part of the Appalachian Mountains. The main winter weather hazard in northern Georgia is "freezing rain - or rain which freezes upon contact with the ground - which is 2 inches (5.1 cm) or more of snow falling in a 12 hour period, or 4 inches (10 cm) or more in a 24 hour period." The exception to this is the mountain areas of Fannin, Gilmer, Pickens, and other surrounding counties heavy snow is "3 inches (7.6 cm) or more of snow in a 12 hour period or 4 inches (10 cm) or more of snow in a 24 hour period".

QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Mar 6 2012, 05:36 AM)
I don't support most of what he does 'cuz I wouldn't back a crazy guy like him if I was in the situation and it was real, but he seems to have a plan and is able to act on it, whereas Rick can't make up his mind about anything...Who do want leading a guy with ideas who takes action, or a guy who can't make up his mind?

Rick makes up his mind, he's just struggling with what is right and what is wrong. That takes a conscience and compassion. Shane only does what is good for himself. Seriously, what "plan" does Shane have? I'm baffled that people actually think Shane does what he does for the good of the group. The man is a psychopath. Let's not forget he tried to kill Rick, not for the good of the group but because Rick is in his way. Shane doesn't give a shit about Lori and Carl. Only himself. Also, Rick saved Shane because Rick realized there may be a shred left of his old partner, a decent man and friend. What's the hard choice? Shane is a coward who always takes the easy way out. Watch the show, Rick makes the hard decisions. Sheesh...

Edited by ReRushed

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Mar 6 2012, 10:17 AM)
QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Mar 6 2012, 05:36 AM)
I don't support most of what he does 'cuz I wouldn't back a crazy guy like him if I was in the situation and it was real, but he seems to have a plan and is able to act on it, whereas Rick can't make up his mind about anything...Who do want leading a guy with ideas who takes action, or a guy who can't make up his mind?

Rick makes up his mind, he's just struggling with what is right and what is wrong. That takes a conscience and compassion. Shane only does what is good for himself. Seriously, what "plan" does Shane have? I'm baffled that people actually think Shane does what he does for the good of the group. The man is a psychopath. Let's not forget he tried to kill Rick, not for the good of the group but because Rick is in his way. Shane doesn't give a shit about Lori and Carl. Only himself. Also, Rick saved Shane because Rick realized there may be a shred left of his old partner, a decent man and friend. What's the hard choice? Shane is a coward who always takes the easy way out. Watch the show, Rick makes the hard decisions. Sheesh...

These are DIFFICULT decisions Rick makes. It's easy to just try and be black and white about things. On one hand they all have a point, that laws of society the way it used to be don't seem to apply anymore, but they do apply -- as Dale pointed out -- to THEM as PEOPLE. For humanity sake.

It's really easy to say "oh this is the RIGHT decision" and there's no two ways about it because it's more difficult to consider consequences and how that might affect you (individually or as a group). That's the hard stuff. The kid becomes the shining example of desensitization. It rocks Rick pretty hard when his kid encourages him to kill the guy and is resolved to watch it.... and it SHOULD. These aren't light or easy decisions, made more difficult by how the times and circumstances of their society has gone out the window. But you still have a conscience.

I see the things Shane says. They're logical, practical, and they make sense. They're not even necessarily wrong either...but they're also not entirely right. That's the dilemma. And it is just that...a moral and ethical and human tug. You may be able to rationalize executing someone who might bring you harm down the line, but you have to live with that.

Personally I believe in moral relativism over absolutism anyhow, and the very definition of the former is to consider the circumstances and context of things. If only these were easy things to consider. Murder shouldn't be easy, even if ultimately that's the decision you come to.

They're all right to some degree. Even the most selfish of the decisions serves another good, but it's not always the best decision...even when it makes the most sense on the surface. At the very least, none of this is simple. I can't imagine being in that position.

Edited by Presto-digitation

^^ This shit, by the way, is WHY season 2 is so much better than season 1, where I almost never asked myself these questions. If you like rampant video game level cool zombie killing shit, yeah, season 1 rocked. If you like this kind of drama and insight with your eye candy, then season 2 just might be for you. At the end of season 1 I still didn't give a shit about anyone because it was all so poorly written. Now I do. Now I'll be around for another season.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Mar 6 2012, 11:12 AM)
^^ This shit, by the way, is WHY season 2 is so much better than season 1, where I almost never asked myself these questions. If you like rampant video game level cool zombie killing shit, yeah, season 1 rocked. If you like this kind of drama and insight with your eye candy, then season 2 just might be for you. At the end of season 1 I still didn't give a shit about anyone because it was all so poorly written. Now I do. Now I'll be around for another season.

The big reason I didn't care about the characters that much is because the first season was only about six or seven episodes. It didn't last long enough for any of the characters to develope and get you to care one way or the other about them.

This season they are slowly improving on that though.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Mar 6 2012, 07:50 PM)
Both

I agree. Both are better, but really, I think the actors/actresses were limited by the lines they were given. So while their may have been bad acting, I blame that on the terrible writing. This season, even though the first half was so slooooww at times, has been light years better in writing, which in turn makes the acting better.

It's still not on par with the great shows like Breaking Bad, but like Presto-digitation once pointed out to me, if I compare every show to BB, I will be very disappointed. I think initially because this show was on AMC and there are so many great shows on AMC, that it would also be great from the get go. In the case of TWD, it took them time to get it right. In fact, they fired all the writers from season 1, so that should tell you something.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Mar 7 2012, 11:01 PM)
Herschel has a son? Really? I don't recall every seeing him confused13.gif

Exactly!!! And yes he does. He has been in the background in a few episodes. I think he was also there when they had to go get the walker out of the mud and put him in the barn...remember, with those poles they use to wrangle wild dogs or animals? He was also in a few other episodes. I think when they were all meeting to discuss what to do with Randall, they said something like "Joe (I have no idea what his name is) is with the girl in the bed who tried to kill herself (have no idea what her name is either)" So they kinda reminded us that he was on the show.

Anyone know this kids name?

Edited for spelling

Edited by Presto-a RUSH fan!

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Mar 7 2012, 06:02 PM)
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/432044_3152645169595_1069134437_3084495_168349791_n.jpg

It almost shocked me when I saw that guy in the last episode. I'd TOTALLY forgotten about him. So too had the writers, it turns out.

Yeah the black dude hasn't had much action for quite a while. Was thinking he would be next to get it, then I thought no way because there would probably be a protest that there were no black people left in the show.

This show asks more 'morality' questions than anything I've ever seen on the tube...Euthanasia and such, just this last go 'round...In which circumstances is 'murder' permissible...If one person's existence jeopardizes the continued existence of the group, should that person be terminated?...If someone is suffering extensibly, can they be put out of their misery?...Wow, this is even heavier subject matter than that 'very special episode' of Diff'rent Strokes...

QUOTE (gleeclub @ Mar 9 2012, 01:40 PM)
This show asks more 'morality' questions than anything I've ever seen on the tube...Euthanasia and such, just this last go 'round...In which circumstances is 'murder' permissible...If one person's existence jeopardizes the continued existence of the group, should that person be terminated?...If someone is suffering extensibly, can they be put out of their misery?...Wow, this is even heavier subject matter than that 'very special episode' of Diff'rent Strokes...

rofl3.gif z7shysterical.gif

I remember that episode...if it's the one I'm thinking of with the girl in the wheelchair! I remember that line she said to Arnold when he invited her up to his room but he forgot she was in a wc. She said, "I'm not handicapped, I'm handicapable"!

And I'm not making fun of "handicapped" people when I say that...but then again, I do have a card that allows me to make fun of the handicapped! smile.gif Trust me, I really do.

QUOTE (gleeclub @ Mar 9 2012, 12:40 PM)

Well what else are you going to do or talk about on a show about zombies? It's a pretty brainless premise to begin with. It's fun, but unless you get into the fundamentals of a reshaped society and morality questions, it's just a glorified video game. The enemy/threat can't think, talk, reason, etc....so the REAL enemies are themselves.

There is NO SHOW without these internal questions.

What is Breaking Bad but constantly asking morality questions? It's just a more conventional and less limiting setting. Oh and it's a much better show too, but that's beside the point. wink.gif