The Walking Dead

vital signz

QUOTE (Presto_a RUSH fan_06-08-90 @ Oct 29 2011, 09:52 PM)
Walking Dead didn't blow me away last year, but so far this year, I am liking what I see.  I believe they fired the writers from last year, if I am remembering correctly and if true, I can tell because it's alot better so far.

This !! ^ So glad someone agrees.

Edited by Presto-digitation

****HAS SLIGHT SPOILER**** Those not caught up beware.

Ok. I preface this with I like The Walking Dead. I will watch every episode. But the last episode that just aired Sunday Oct 30th although it had the wtf moment at the end, it was flat out boring. And on top of that, the wtf moment to me, didn't make sense. I thought they could both make it.

I understand character development. I understand what a great show is....Breaking Bad. But there were times where I was just "ok...let's move this along." Maybe it's because there are so many characters they have to develop, whatever, I almost fast forwarded thru a few scenes. Not like I even thought about it, I just almost instinctively pushed ff because I was like ok...get on with it.

For those of you who watched last season of Breaking Bad (season 3, not the one that just finished, season 4) remember the episode with the fly in Walt's lab? (btw, that is not a spoiler in anyway so feel free to read on if you didn't see season 3 of Breaking Bad yet)

A whole episode dedicated to a simple premise and I was freaking glued. In fact, I don't think I could point at one boring moment of Breaking Bad or one bad episode.

The Walking Dead still has potential to be great, but to me it is still lacking. Again, maybe it's because I expected more because of Breaking Bad being so amazing but I love Zombie movies. Love them. Even some of the bad ones. And I think a show about Zombies needs to have more than one wtf moment. It should be filled with them. But again, I am giving it time and I will watch it no matter what because at it's worst, it's still ALMOST as good as anything else on tv, ie. (Sons of Anarchy, Justified, American Horror Story)

Again, just my opinion.

Last year started with a bang. It was awesome. By the end of the season it was starting to reveal a bit of the weaknesses of some of the acting and writing, IMHO...and

This season...(spoilers)

Wow, I am so disappointed. The actor that plays Shane, Jon Bernthal, I honestly believe he could not act his way out of a paper bag. Andrew Lincoln (Rick), and Sarah Callies (Lori) are not much better. So much overacting, and lack of believability, every scene, for me, is cringeworthy. I don't know if it is the writing, the directing, or the acting, but I can't stand their scenes due to what they have to say, and how they say it. The script when Shane was trying to tell Rick to stay at the farmhouse, and they had their hands all over each other and their heads together, I found myself wondering who directed this horrible scene, Ang Lee???

I find Scott Wilson (the Vet), Norman Reedus (Daryl), and Laurie Holden (Andrea) to be the strongest on the show. I really liked Pruitt Taylor Vince (Otis), but sadly, he is soon to be zombie poopie.

Jeffrey Demunn (Dale), a fine actor, has been given lines that are just freakin' laughable. I honestly do not know how he can deliver them without vomiting.

One has to suspend disbelief to enjoy a zombie movie, which is all of 90 minutes. To suspend disbelief for a whole season, or two, or three, requires awesome production. Sadly this is not the case anymore with this show.

QUOTE (Presto_a RUSH fan_06-08-90 @ Nov 2 2011, 04:44 AM)

Ok. I preface this with I like The Walking Dead. I will watch every episode. But the last episode that just aired Sunday Oct 30th although it had the wtf moment at the end, it was flat out boring. And on top of that, the wtf moment to me, didn't make sense. I thought they could both make it.

I understand character development. I understand what a great show is....Breaking Bad. But there were times where I was just "ok...let's move this along." Maybe it's because there are so many characters they have to develop, whatever, I almost fast forwarded thru a few scenes. Not like I even thought about it, I just almost instinctively pushed ff because I was like ok...get on with it.

For those of you who watched last season of Breaking Bad (season 3, not the one that just finished, season 4) remember the episode with the fly in Walt's lab? (btw, that is not a spoiler in anyway so feel free to read on if you didn't see season 3 of Breaking Bad yet)

A whole episode dedicated to a simple premise and I was freaking glued. In fact, I don't think I could point at one boring moment of Breaking Bad or one bad episode.

The Walking Dead still has potential to be great, but to me it is still lacking. Again, maybe it's because I expected more because of Breaking Bad being so amazing but I love Zombie movies. Love them. Even some of the bad ones. And I think a show about Zombies needs to have more than one wtf moment. It should be filled with them. But again, I am giving it time and I will watch it no matter what because at it's worst, it's still ALMOST as good as anything else on tv, ie. (Sons of Anarchy, Justified, American Horror Story)

Again, just my opinion.

Well TWD will NEVER be as good as Breaking Bad. It simply won't. The writing, acting, and stories are all far better in the Vince Gilligan series. If you hold everything up to BB, you're going to be disappointed with most of what you watch. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Nov 2 2011, 06:27 AM)

Ok.  I preface this with I like The Walking Dead.  I will watch every episode.  But the last episode that just aired Sunday Oct 30th although it had the wtf moment at the end, it was flat out boring.  And on top of that, the wtf moment to me, didn't make sense. I thought they could both make it.

I understand character development.  I understand what a great show is....Breaking Bad.  But there were times where I was just "ok...let's move this along."  Maybe it's because there are so many characters they have to develop, whatever, I almost fast forwarded thru a few scenes.  Not like I even thought about it, I just almost instinctively pushed ff because I was like ok...get on with it. 

A whole episode dedicated to a simple premise and I was freaking glued.  In fact, I don't think I could point at one boring moment of Breaking Bad or one bad episode. 

The Walking Dead still has potential to be great, but to me it is still lacking. Again, maybe it's because I expected more because of Breaking Bad being so amazing but I love Zombie movies.  Love them.  Even some of the bad ones.  And I think a show about Zombies needs to have more than one wtf moment.  It should be filled with them.  But again, I am giving it time and I will watch it no matter what because at it's worst, it's still ALMOST as good as anything else on tv, ie. (Sons of Anarchy, Justified, American Horror Story)

Again, just my opinion.

Well TWD will NEVER be as good as Breaking Bad. It simply won't. The writing, acting, and stories are all far better in the Vince Gilligan series. If you hold everything up to BB, you're going to be disappointed with most of what you watch. biggrin.gif

True....

I really hope the storyline gets much better. I think the slow down, ie., the farmhouse, the sitting around and talking, the RV, the waiting....is revealing the quality of the acting and writing. When things pick up a bit the show should get more exciting, and I am hoping I won't notice the other stuff so much.

QUOTE (vital signz @ Nov 2 2011, 06:07 AM)
Last year started with a bang.  It was awesome.  By the end of the season it was starting to reveal a bit of the weaknesses of some of the acting and writing, IMHO...and

This season...(spoilers)

Wow, I am so disappointed.  The actor that plays Shane, Jon Bernthal, I honestly believe he could not act his way out of a paper bag.  Andrew Lincoln (Rick), and Sarah Callies (Lori) are not much better.  So much overacting, and lack of believability, every scene, for me, is cringeworthy.  I don't know if it is the writing, the directing, or the acting, but I can't stand their scenes due to what they have to say, and how they say it.  The script when Shane was trying to tell Rick to stay at the farmhouse, and they had their hands all over each other and their heads together, I found myself wondering who directed this horrible scene, Ang Lee???

I find Scott Wilson (the Vet),  Norman Reedus (Daryl), and Laurie Holden (Andrea) to be the strongest on the show.  I really liked Pruitt Taylor Vince (Otis), but sadly, he is soon to be zombie poopie.

Jeffrey Demunn (Dale), a fine actor, has been given lines that are just freakin' laughable.  I honestly do not know how he can deliver them without vomiting. 

One has to suspend disbelief to enjoy a zombie movie, which is all of 90 minutes.  To suspend disbelief for a whole season, or two, or three, requires awesome production.  Sadly this is not the case anymore with this show.

***SPOILERS***

Wow Vital Signz,

I think you nailed it. As I sat and thought about every point you made, about the acting and the scenes, you basically hit it all pretty much on the head. And the pointing out of each character and the acting or overacting, and the scenes, I couldn't have agreed more. yes.gif

Especially the part about the characters. I thought Otis was a great character and I love that guy as an actor in everything I have ever seen him in. To kill him off like that after 2 episodes was just bad. Should have found an unknown actor and have him killed off than to take out Otis. (not even gonna try and type the characters real names)

Daryl is my favorite character on the show. And I have always liked him in roles I have seen him in. Andrea is probably second. I am not as down on the acting of Rick and Lori as you, but I think they are handicapped by the script and the directing.

Talk about bad writing and scenes, how about when, Glen (Asian kid) and the hot new girl at the Vet's house were talking about God, then the scene in the kitchen where he is trying to console her and says "hey, I know you just lost Otis, why don't you relive everyone you've lost and point them out to me from the pictures on the fridge". I thought it was just stupid. But I do like the new girl, can't remember her name. And the Vet, again, great in this and great in other things I've seen him in.

One thing I don't necessarily agree with, well I do and I don't is, suspending disbelief for zombie movies. I can get myself to buy into a plague turning people to "zombies" but I don't thing they are doing a great job of it with TWD.

If you want to see a great Zombie-like movie, remember the movie Quarantine? That was ok, but they made a sequel that picks up directly after the first one. It takes place on a plane and it's called Quarantine 2: Terminal and it's a very believable story line and I think it's way better than the original.

You don't have to have seen the first one to totally enjoy the second but if your in the mood for 3 hours of a plausible zombie like move night, rent both the original and the sequel and I think you won't be disappointed. In fact, you might not even like the first one a whole lot, but I think you will really enjoy the second and some of the stuff in the second will make more sense. In fact seeing the sequel made me understand the first alot better so I am going to actually re-watch the first and pay closer attention.

Well TWD will NEVER be as good as Breaking Bad. It simply won't. The writing, acting, and stories are all far better in the Vince Gilligan series. If you hold everything up to BB, you're going to be disappointed with most of what you watch.

And Presto-digitation, I have to agree, comparing it to Breaking Bad is probably not smart since it's probably the best show to ever play on tv. Good point. The thing that kills me is TWD gets so much of a following and Breaking Bad doesn't get enough. confused13.gif

Maybe they both could've made it but there were a bunch of zombies gaining up on them and Shane did what he had to do to survive. With Otis laying there wounded as fresh meat there was no way the zombies were gonna pass up an easy meal like that. Shane knew that and that's why he did it. In terms of character progression it makes complete sense to me.

Yeah, it was a selfish and rotten thing to do but it comes down to doing what you gotta do to keep yourself alive. That was the biggest development this week. I wouldn't be surprised to see him or even another character do that again to save themselves.

I know these first few episodes take place in the span of a couple days but what the heck happened to the little girl who went missing? There was no developement on that. Seriously, it only took the guy like two minutes to get the zombies away from her. How far could she have gone in that short of a time?

What TWD is lacking as compared (granted, an unfair comparison) to Breaking Bad or Mad Men are those moments that should be slow & boring but rather crackle with intensity and top notch acting are the moments of dialogue. BB will have moments of 5 or 10 minutes of nothing but talking...and it's awesome.

The moments of extended dialogue on TWD is, well, just not riveting. I really cannot tell if it's the actual writing or acting or directing; probably a mix of all 3.

I'll watch TWD just to see how it plays out but, again, I'm not on the edge of my seat.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Nov 2 2011, 03:56 PM)
I found myself fast forwarding through the latest episode. not a good sign.

AMEN Brother! Don't know if you read my complaint a page back or quoted on this page but twice I almost instinctively pushed ff. I didn't even think about it, I just reached for the button and then stopped myself. TWICE!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Nov 2 2011, 09:40 AM)

Ok.  I preface this with I like The Walking Dead.  I will watch every episode.  But the last episode that just aired Sunday Oct 30th although it had the wtf moment at the end, it was flat out boring.  And on top of that, the wtf moment to me, didn't make sense. I thought they could both make it.

Maybe they both could've made it but there were a bunch of zombies gaining up on them and Shane did what he had to do to survive. With Otis laying there wounded as fresh meat there was no way the zombies were gonna pass up an easy meal like that. Shane knew that and that's why he did it. In terms of character progression it makes complete sense to me.

Yeah, it was a selfish and rotten thing to do but it comes down to doing what you gotta do to keep yourself alive. That was the biggest development this week. I wouldn't be surprised to see him or even another character do that again to save themselves.

I know these first few episodes take place in the span of a couple days but what the heck happened to the little girl who went missing? There was no developement on that. Seriously, it only took the guy like two minutes to get the zombies away from her. How far could she have gone in that short of a time?

***Spoiler below***

I got that, but to me it seemed at the beginning they didn't park their truck so far away and to me it looked like they just needed to make a few more yards. And Otis, wasn't hurt, Shane was, so I see why Shane figured he maybe couldn't make it. BUT you here this story of determination where he steals the principals car and sprints back to school, he has a little twisted ankle and he can't make it? I just didn't buy it, especially when Otis was one of the best new characters on the show! I just try to put myself in situations in my mind and think, what would I have done. If the zombies where like the ones in Resident Evil or Quarantine 2: Terminal, and the sprinted like the wind, I'd buy it more. But a former cop, just kills the kindest guy on the show, when it looked like they zombies were moving slower than them??? They should have made it look more dire I guess is what I am saying. Maybe that is bad directing. Maybe an aerial view of where they were compared to the truck, you know one of those pullout scenes to give the scale.

But hence the problems with TWD!

Again, I will continue to watch, beats the shit out of just about anything else on tv regardless of the Breaking Bads out their.

I preface this with The Walking Dead is a good show. I like it. BUT American Horror Story blows it away.

WOW...People who argue that The Walking Dead is so great should see this show. I like TWD but American Horror Story is just plain awesome.

People are saying that TWD had good character development which is why a zombie show is boring but it's still great. Well if you talk about character development, AHS has been on for 5 episodes and they have about 20 characters, some living, some dead, some who the hell knows, and the character development is just awesome and at the same time, you are RIVETED to your seat not knowing what's gonna happen next.

It's official for me, I LOVE THIS SHOW. Breaking Bad is my all time favorite and probably always will be, because it offers laughs, thrills, wtf moments, just everything.

AHS is the same in that it's amazingly written, acted and directed, but it has no humor AT ALL. Just bizarre, scary, strange, edge of your seat scenes all stacked together. I think in 5 episodes of AHS has provided 10x's the thrills of TWD did in it's full first season.

This is what you get when great writing, acting, directing, basically everything you want in a show, comes together.

I can't wait for more American Horror Story!!!

yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif applaudit.gif wacko.gif ohmy.gif admin.gif wtf.gif beathorse.gif pokey.gif scared.gif

Crap, I loved the last episode. biggrin.gif

I also think Shane is not all that bad. I agree with the idea that all three die if someone doesn't think on their feet. Now that was still some cold-blooded shit, but in the end it probably saved two lives. He'll have to live with that and probably it will haunt him, but all the rules pretty much go out the window in a situation like this.

Wow...I want to like this show so much. But I have to say if it gets anymore boring AND stupid I might start fast forwarding thru it. I like zombie movies, even silly ones, but this is getting bad. I think I could write a better story, dialogue and direct it better than this on a Sunday afternoon. And to think this has a post show to talk about it! I expected so much more from AMC, I guess I got spoiled rotten with Breaking Bad.

***SPOILERS BELOW - IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN EPISODE ON 11-6-11***

1. Ok...to go with my comments above. The scene where they decide to get the zombie out of the well...WTF? So then you will drink the water? The one thing with zombie movies I NEED is to have some tiny bit of believability on how you get the "disease". How many times have we seen someone fight a zombie off on this show and get drowned in the zombie blood, even blood in the mouth? And they are ok. So I am thinking, ok, maybe you have to be bitten as its passed orally. But here, they have a bloated zombie in a well and they are like "hey, if we get the zombie out, we can then drink the water? wtf.gif

Ok, so we get past that. I can think of 10 ways to get that thing out live using a coat hanger with that rope, BUT NO...let's dangle someone down the well. I mean that is just stupid writing to set up a stupid seen. I remember seeing that scene last week in the previews and I am thinking when the seen comes up, what possible reason would they be dangling someone down the well? Is there something they need? Did someone fall half way down? No, they want to get the zombie out, so then they can drink the water it's been sitting in for God knows how long. And all that for the payoff of it splitting in two? Wow.

2. The little girl. Obviously, I can tell you what is going to happen. Daryl's brother is going to have abducted her and has been trailing them all along. As with about 20 other things, unlike American Horror Story, I can see where just about everything is going. Maybe not, maybe another stupid wtf moment.

3. The scenes with Glenn and the hot farmers daughter. Ok, I know there could be zombies everywhere but lets just get naked right here. And even the premise of him having the condoms in his hand. That scene reminded me of so many bad horror films where they put it in just to get the girl to take her shirt off. Horrible writing. Horrible scene.

4. Lastly, just about every scene is so boring and has such bad dialogue I think I'd shoot myself if I were with them and those are the conversations I had!! I am not sure the acting is as bad as the script and the directing. Put Robert De-Niro in this and it sucks.

5. One of the most interesting things on earlier episodes, the flashback scenes to before the disease. Gone. Instead, lets have a 10 min bedside scene with his son.

6. And remember the black guy and his son from last season? Watch, they will bring them back at some point and they will need to be rescued. Just a guess.

I could name about 10 more reasons this episode was just horrible but I am tired of even thinking about it.

I am so bummed that this show is sucking so bad...and it has an after show????? ARE YOU F-ing kidding me? I taped it but haven't watched it just to hear wtf they could possibly talk about after this episode.

There...got that out of my system.

If you want to see a good to great zombie movie, go rent Quarantine 2: Terminal. Even if you didn't see the first one, which was ok, in an hour and a half the story line, the dialogue...what the characters do...believable. The acting decent. The wtf moments so much better. Watch that in an hour and a half and you'll get more than how ever many bad episodes have aired so far this season on TWD.

062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif

Spoilers.....

Yes....Sadly, I agree with you. The nice thing is, there was a lot more action last night. The thing with Glenn going in the well....Lets all just stop for a moment and think about that shall we? Would any of us allow ourselves to be lowered into a well as human bait if we were in that situation? Hell to the f**k no! But they did it and he fell, and that was somewhat fun to watch, so it felt worth it...

The trip to town for meds, and the sex scene, I can buy that given the scenario, and that didn't bother me too much, since it was something other than close ups on Rick, Shane and Lori and their acting horrible dialog.

I thought Jon Bernthal did well at Otis' funeral, believable for sure, good job. But later when he was one on one with Andrea, that's when he got harder to watch...I don't know if just the writing or his acting I can't believe. His delivery when it's quiet and it's just him is so hard to enjoy. He just seems awkward. Same with Andrew Lincoln (Rick) and Sara Callies (Lori). But again, Norman Reedus (Daryl) stole every scene he was in, and the job he did searching for the little girl, and his scene in the trailer, made the entire show awesome for me last night.

I will keep watching it for sure now that I know Michael Rooker is about to make another appearance...what an awesome actor he is. The show is about to get a much needed jumpstart.

I thought the last episode wasn't all that bad....Loved the zombie in the well. I think Shane is becoming a more interesting charcter afdter he shot Otis and left him for dead and then lied at the guys funeral saying he died a hero. Daryl is a good character.

Can't stand Ricks wife and was hoping she get eaten while she was out crappin in the woods...alright she takin' a squirt but none the less a wlker makin' a meal out of her would be nice.

Glad to see the they rewarded the asian guy with some sweet poon tang for almost sacrificing himself to the zombie in well...what kind of stupid shit was that?

Show aint all that but Im stickin' with it...it can't get much worse.

I've still not watched the latest, so avoiding details in posts above, but I still think you all are NUTS saying it's gone down hill. It's probably TWICE as good as it was last season with ZERO character development, correcting much about what sucked in its debut year. Just my two cents of course, but I think you all are a bag o' crazy. biggrin.gif tongue.gif

I contend that it's not here merely to have "cool zombie killings." It now has a human center that it completely lacked last year. I'm actually starting to care about who lives and dies.

Edited by Presto-digitation