Rush music videos and singles

jayberwanger

Hey group. I'm an FNG to this board. Could anyone tell me where I could find out a website that would give me information about singles and videos from Rush. I wanted to know if their was a website that had information about every single that has been released and every music video Rush has made. Thank you.

Any info would be great. 2.gif 1022.gif

oh sure, we tell you that and then you run there and we never see you again!

actually, this site should serve the purpose. someone here will chime in with your answer! tongue.gif

welcome trink39.gif

I can't seem to find a definitive singles list with chart positions but the list of official promo videos is easy:

Anthem

Fly By Night

A Farewell To Kings

Xanadu

Closer To The Heart

Circumstances

The Trees

La Villa Strangiato

Tom Sawyer

Limelight

Vital Signs

Subdivisions

Countdown

Distant Early Warning

Afterimage

Red Sector A

The Enemy Within

The Body Electric

The Big Money

Mystic Rhythms

Time Stand Still

Lock And Key

Show Don't Tell

The Pass

Superconductor

Roll The Bones

Stick It Out

Nobody's Hero

Driven

Half the World

Far Cry

Malignant Narcissism

Those are the official promos. However, while almost all of those are simply companion videos to the studio audio the three songs from Hemispheres were actually performed live so you're not hearing the original studio audio there. Also, various live performances from their video concerts have also been used individually as promo videos and at least one (Marathon) has heavily re-edited video. There is also the officially released video for Closer to the Heart from Different Stages that uses a combination of reused older video along with footage from the aborted Different Stages dvd from Toronto. The live audio is from Chicago, though.

Far Cry and Malignant Narcissism are officially approved by the band so they count but they were both basically fan-created.

Then you've got variations in the official releases. The Big Money for example has a shortened and a full-length version (which has still only been released on the GUP VHS tape). There are also two versions of the Show Don't Tell video, one with concept footage and the other with just the band.

Plus, there are many videos that have the guys from Rush in them but aren't actually Rush videos like the one for Alex's Promise and the video for I Fought the Law with Geddy and Alex just to name a couple.

I think that should cover it.

I didn't use that link because it's not entirely accurate. Those Don Kirschner videos are just from live TV and are not Rush promo videos. Plus, there are other non-Rush videos listed there and some things are left out. The list I made is complete.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Oct 30 2010, 11:27 AM)
I didn't use that link because it's not entirely accurate. Those Don Kirschner videos are just from live TV and are not Rush promo videos. Plus, there are other non-Rush videos listed there and some things are left out. The list I made is complete.

Do you have the links to those videos? Every video I've found on Youtube is always fan made.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Oct 30 2010, 10:29 AM)

Do you have the links to those videos? Every video I've found on Youtube is always fan made.

What do you mean "Every video I've found on Youtube is always fan made"? I haven't looked in a while but I'm pretty sure all the official videos are on youtube.

Tell me which one you're looking for and I'll get you a link.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Oct 30 2010, 11:32 AM)

What do you mean "Every video I've found on Youtube is always fan made"? I haven't looked in a while but I'm pretty sure all the official videos are on youtube.

Many people made their own videos for the songs or uploaded a live performance.

Do you have the videos from Snakes and Arrows?

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Oct 30 2010, 10:41 AM)

I understand what a fan-created video is but I just didn't understand why those were the only ones you could find when all the official ones are also there. As I said above, the 2 from S&A were both essentially done as third-party projects and the band didn't get involved. They just approved the final work.

Far Cry:

"Far Cry", the first single, including a 4:34 radio edit and 5:21 album version, was released to radio stations March 12th, 2007, and the video directed by Chris Mills was released May 8th, 2007.

Malignant Narcissism:

Bobby Standridge, creator of the "YYZ" animated video, dropped us a line sharing that he was hired by Rush to create a video to support Snakes & Arrows. The result is "Malignant Narcissism", with a very interesting demonstration of religion through history. See it at BobbysBrane.com, by clicking the "Animation Fun" link on the homepage. - July 27, 2007

These are official videos and are on Rush's Retrospective 3 cd/dvd.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Oct 30 2010, 11:48 AM)

I understand what a fan-created video is but I just didn't understand why those were the only ones you could find when all the official ones are also there. As I said above, the 2 from S&A were both essentially done as third-party projects and the band didn't get involved. They just approved the final work.

Far Cry:

"Far Cry", the first single, including a 4:34 radio edit and 5:21 album version, was released to radio stations March 12th, 2007, and the video directed by Chris Mills was released May 8th, 2007.

Malignant Narcissism:

Bobby Standridge, creator of the "YYZ" animated video, dropped us a line sharing that he was hired by Rush to create a video to support Snakes & Arrows. The result is "Malignant Narcissism", with a very interesting demonstration of religion through history. See it at BobbysBrane.com, by clicking the "Animation Fun" link on the homepage. - July 27, 2007

Thanks trink39.gif

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Oct 30 2010, 10:56 AM)

Far Cry:

Malignant Narcissism:

Thanks trink39.gif

Glad to help. smile.gif

I understand what a fan-created video is but I just didn't understand why those were the only ones you could find when all the official ones are also there.

For some reason, official videos don't sure up on the Youtube app for the ipod touch. I searched "Subdivisions Official Video" on my ipod and couldn't find it, yet it was first when i searched on my laptop. My mistake.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 30 2010, 03:38 PM)
So... they haven't made a video since Test For Echo? Really?

Yes, really. They discussed this around the time of S&A when they approved the two S&A videos that were made for them and basically just said they didn't see any point anymore. They never enjoyed making them anyway and it's not like they're going to be on MTV now.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 30 2010, 07:31 PM)
I don't know what that surprises me, but it does... I guess I just never really thought about it.

I always thought it was odd that the Roll the Bones album only produced one video. Even though the album gets bashed a lot around here it was a pretty big hit and Dreamline, RTB, and Ghost of a Chance all got a lot of radio airplay (and some for Bravado, too). I think the video for RTB was pretty well done and ones for either Dreamline or Ghost of a Chance may have ended up pretty good.

Also, strange that nothing at all was made for Permanent Waves considering there were 3 videos each for the 2 preceding albums and Permanent Waves was so popular.

Well, VH1 has a couple on their website:

Show Don't Tell

Roll The Bones

It would be great if Anthem would release a DVD of all of the videos like Genesis' Cinema Show.

Archived