Found a new like for Roll The Bones

That One Guy

QUOTE (metaldad @ Oct 25 2010, 12:11 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Oct 25 2010, 02:07 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Oct 25 2010, 03:05 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Oct 25 2010, 02:00 PM)

I honestly believe that better production, and giving the songs more "balls" would've definitely helped it in terms of people's overall view of this album.

Oh hell no........................... You can paint a garbage can Gold, but it is Still a garbage can laugh.gif

But if it's gold, then it would be worth more! wink.gif

More like Fake Gold laugh.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Oct 25 2010, 01:34 PM)
Personally RtB has 3 of my "five star" Rush songs on it, so I can't help but like it a lot. I don't find the "less than stellar" songs to be crap- but it seems the album is mostly either 5 star songs or 3 star songs for me, so it does lack in consistency.

yes.gif

Exactly. Was listening to this album in the car all weekend and that's pretty much where I come down on it. Even the "worst" Rush song is so much better than most of the crap out there.

I love RTB (even the "rap"), Bravado, GOAC, Dreamline and Heresy, and just like the rest.

Roll the Bones was actually my first discovery of Rush ironically. I discovered Rush for the first time almost 3 years ago when I came across a video on YouTube and it had Where's My Thing? playing as a montage for some sport (bowling I believe) from the late 90s, I think 1997 and I remembered coming across a comment and mentioned that it was Rush...with a chance of luck I discovered that it was an instrumental and on the RTB album. I had grown in love with that song.

It would be awhile until I finally listened to the whole album, and initially I really liked it, until I listened to Counterparts which blew RTB out of the water. Now I wish RTB and Presto were recorded exactly like Counterparts so I'd like it as much. I love the first 3 songs, Where's My Thing, The Big Wheel, and Ghost of A Chance. The rest are good to okay for me personally. I don't listen to this album alot really....but It'd be a nice listen once in awhile

Oddly enough, RTB is the album that really rekindled my love with Rush (my enthusiasm dwinded somewhat after HYF & Presto, though had a renewed spark for a while with ASOH), but now RTB is my least favorite Rush album. Its the one album I never listen to. I still appreciate Dreamline & the title track, but the album is too glossy, too safe. I prefer Presto much more now--its got more emotional weight with me. Maybe someday RTB will reconnect with me.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Oct 28 2010, 03:31 PM)
it's a drink coaster. Nothing more.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Pause Rewind Replay @ Oct 28 2010, 02:57 AM)
Excellent:
Dreamline
RTB

Quite good:
Big Wheel
Tou Bet Your Life
Neurotica

Harmless:
Face Up

"Why didn't they sound like that in the studio??"
Bravado on DS
GOAC on S&A

Never mind:
Where's My Thing
Heresy

Overall it's not a bad album, but to me a definite valley between Presto and Cp.

Excellent:

Dreamline

Bravado

Roll the bones

Very good:

Ghost of a chance

Good:

Where's my thing

The big wheel

Heresy

Neurotica

You bet your life

Harmless:

Face up

Excellent:

Dreamline

Bravado

Ghost of a chance

Very good:

Roll the bones

Where's my thing

Harmless:

Face up

The big wheel

Heresy

Neurotica

You bet your life

But when I say "Excellent", I mean "My Top 10 Rush", so that really elevates this album's high points quite a bit. I don't think even MP has 3 Top Ten songs for me (though the majority of MP is Very Good/Excellent).

"Where's My Thing" used to be top 10 for me as well, but I cooled my jets on it after a while. It's a great tune, but YYZ, La Villa, and MalNar are all stronger instrumentals, imo.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Nov 1 2010, 09:52 AM)
Outstanding:
Ghost of a Chance
Neurotica
Dreamline

Excellent:
Roll The Bones
Bravado

Great:
Where's My Thing?

Solid:
Face Up
The Big Wheel
Heresy
You Bet Your Life

I agree very much with this breakdown.

I'd just add one more category: Mixed

Heresy and The Big Wheel would go here. Heresy because the verses are very good, but the chorus is cheesy-ish (yes, I guess we do). TBW is trite overall, a re-hashing of old Peart themes set against a moderate musical backdrop.

But yeah, Neurotica is a great song (minus the chorus of Geddy's), great bass lines, with the bonus of another flavor of a tight little Lerxst solo. Oldschool, you just don't get it.

I already gave my personal opinion of this album but think I should do my own ranking of Roll the Bones for better clarification. As much as I believe Counterparts was a better record in every statistical category, Roll the Bones looks more like a guilty pleasure of mine. I can't seem to find anything so glaringly bad that I dislike the album for even a tiny bit. Audio production doesn't count as a dislike because I like Vapor Trails even with the terrible production it had.

Excellent:

Dreamline

Bravado

Roll the Bones

Ghost of A Chance

Awesome :

Where's My Thing?

The Big Wheel

Great:

Heresy

Face Up

Good:

Neurotica

You Bet Your Life

When I mean by awesome, I mean that those songs just can't be messed around with, you can say whatever you want about the other songs, but in retrospective, I consider these to be the songs to be the true highlights of the album, the songs that literally almost everyone likes from that album.

The Awesome category is there because those two songs are my personal favorites from the album, yet I didn't believe they should go under any of the other categories because none of them describe how I feel about those songs other than awesome, so they got their own special ranking.

IMO, sure....RTB is poppy sounding, has the infamous rap, isn't a heavy rock album at all per se.

But it's the last Rush album I enjoy listening to track to track with the least amount of skipping. The music and lyrics are optimisitic and upbeat.

And it's years before Rush suddenly decided that layers of distorted guitar and bass were a legit substitute for good melodys and lyrics. Just because a song is loud and heavy sounding doesnt automatically make it good.

Archived