Let's show some love for Hemispheres!

Ted Barchetta

I love this album so much; The music, the singing, the arrangements and the concepts; It's all so damn good!

Maybe i'm on a contact high from just playing through the whole thing on bass, but I just can't stop thinking about how kickass this album is! WAH!

So? What is the thing you love most about Hemispheres? cool.gif

Everything everyone else said. Also, in my book it's the only "perfect" album, in the sense that there's not a single bad song on it, although that is easier to achieve due to the fact that there are only four songs. But having two powerhouse masterpieces in Cygnus Book II and La Villa is enough to propel this album to the top alone, and then on top of that there are two more great songs. In my opinion, it's probably their most complex and progressive album, but none of the songs get bogged down in it, they're all just awesome, rocking songs. For me, Hemispheres holds the spot of #1 Rush album, no question.

Hemispheres was simply the end result of all of their learning, growing and achieving. I kind of think a good analogy would be like graduate school is for some folks....a person gets totally immersed in a subject matter, and thinks about things at such a deep, complex manner, and takes a theory to an extreme in order to prove a point....

Hemispheres was like Rush's PhD.

Then you get out into the work force and put to use what you have achieved. The jobs are usually short and sweet and you can pump out a lot using what you have learned and achieved. You are never quite ever wanting to take it so deeply as you did in graduate school.

I think it was certainly their best work and probably the most intricate, deep, thoughtful, technical, brilliant production ever.

It's always hard for me to choose a favourite anything, but I think that Hemispheres might actually be my favourite Rush album. The title track holds deep personal meaning for me. Circumstances was one of the first Rush songs that I really liked. The Trees isn't a personal favourite song of mine out of context and one I seldom if ever listen to on its own, but it fits in so well with the flow of the album that I enjoy it very much in that context. And La Villa Strangiato...what can I say besides heart.gif wub.gif 1022.gif !

Hemispheres is an album that can lift me up when I'm feeling bad, and affirm my life-force when I'm feeling good. A wonderful record that makes me thankful that I now know the true wonders of the world of 2.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Ted Barchetta @ Oct 17 2010, 11:24 PM)
I love this album so much; The music, the singing, the arrangements and the concepts; It's all so damn good!

Maybe i'm on a contact high from just playing through the whole thing on bass, but I just can't stop thinking about how kickass this album is! WAH!

So? What is the thing you love most about Hemispheres? cool.gif

It's epic in more ways than one.

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Oct 17 2010, 11:48 PM)
Just an absolutely fantastic album! Cygnus X-1 Book 2 is their greatest epic in my opinion! 1022.gif

yes.gif

Hemispheres is my favorite song from them. It's not my favorite album but it's still great.

QUOTE (vital signz @ Oct 18 2010, 05:24 AM)
Hemispheres was simply the end result of all of their learning, growing and achieving. I kind of think a good analogy would be like graduate school is for some folks....a person gets totally immersed in a subject matter, and thinks about things at such a deep, complex manner, and takes a theory to an extreme in order to prove a point....

Hemispheres was like Rush's PhD.

Then you get out into the work force and put to use what you have achieved. The jobs are usually short and sweet and you can pump out a lot using what you have learned and achieved. You are never quite ever wanting to take it so deeply as you did in graduate school.

I think it was certainly their best work and probably the most intricate, deep, thoughtful, technical, brilliant production ever.

You're kidding, right? The band had been together (with Neil) for what, 4 years? And this is "end result of all of their learning, growing and achieving"? Seriously? Let's introduce a little perspective here... it's a great album. To say that it's the end result of *anything* is ridiculous.

QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Oct 18 2010, 12:42 PM)
Not greatest, but still great.

In my top 10 fo sho.

It's in my top 3(so i'll give my top 10)

1. Moving Pictures

2. Hemispheres

3. 2112

4. Permanent Waves

5. Signals

6. Counterparts

7. Power Windows

8. Presto

9. Snakes and Arrows

10. Fly by Night

It's always difficult for me to say I like something of rush's more than others, as when I'm listening, I love it all. However if pushed to pick, Hemisphere's always comes out top.

Being old I remember it's release and back then there was no Youtube so you had to find a radio station that would play something from it, usually a day or two before the release date. The Tommy Vance Rock Show played the title track and circumstances if my memory serves me well unsure.gif

Anyway I believe that when music scholars in the future look back Hemisphere's will be hailed as one of the greatest masterpieces of all time and still an influence on musicians 16 centuries later.

1022.gif

A lot of words describe Hemispheres. Overrated is not one.

It was funny, when I bought Hemispheres I knew that The Trees was on it, looked at the cover and bought it. Popped it in my CD player and went "What? Four tracks?" It was only the third Rush album I bought and epic songs were a suprise to me.

Circumstances is a little sketchy of a song, but it still fits perfectly with the albums feel, which I could best describe as "Every song having a big break or change in the middle."

QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Oct 18 2010, 11:42 AM)
Not greatest, but still great.

In my top 10 fo sho.

My feeling exactly. It's about #7 or 8 for me. Lyric-wise it doesn't really grab me like some of the others. La Villa is the stand out track. I'd say it's the greatest album of 1978 though.

It's not my favorite Rush album, but I can completely understand why anyone would choose it as their favorite. I used to think that side two was perfect and side one, the Hemisphere suite, was close to perfect, but I gotta say that the last time I listened to it, I couldn't find a thing wrong with it. The album is pretty much perfect, and yet still it's my 4th favorite Rush album! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

The band catapulted to my #1 after I bought Hemispheres. Absolutely a masterpiece. I had heard the snippet of Hemispheres on the R30 overture, and wanted to hear the whole song. Glad I did. Best $10 for four songs ever.

It's my favorite. Its kind of that era for them, and I think its absolutely gorgeous. And Rush was cool enough to not milk it, but to move in another direction.

Archived