Unique Voices

danielmclark

I was thinking the other day when a Genesis song came on my iTunes rotation how unique Phil Collins' voice is. There's no mistaking him for someone else, and nobody else sounds like him. Same with Geddy. It got me thinking, how many singers have truly unique voices?

You listen to someone like Eddie Vedder, and there are a million clones out there. If a song came on the radio you'd never heard before that sounded like Pearl Jam, you might be surprised to hear the DJ say it was the latest from some other band. Robert Plant has been accurately copied so many times he should start getting royalties from people like Jack Russell (from Great White).

Who has a voice you would consider truly unique?

Roger Chapman from Family. He has a very distinctive voice: It's best described as a cross between Peter Gabriel and a Leslie speaker cabinet. It's kind of hard to get used to at first.

Tom Delonge (blink-182/Angels & Airwaves)

Matt Bellamy (Muse)

Thom Yorke (Radiohead)

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Oct 10 2010, 03:32 PM)

although countless attempts to copy his voice have been made, no one, not even the most upset of emo kids, has ever succeeded in being as whiny as him.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Oct 10 2010, 03:57 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Oct 10 2010, 03:32 PM)

although countless attempts to copy his voice have been made, no one, not even the most upset of emo kids, has ever succeeded in being as whiny as him.

Precisely. laugh.gif

Unique but not necessarily good:

Bon Scott (AC/DC)

Ace Frehley (Kiss)

Tom DeLonge (Angels & Airwaves)

John Wetton (Asia)

Ozzy Osbourne (Black Sabbath)

Brad Delp (Boston)

Jesse Lacey (Brand New)

Les Claypool (Primus)

David Gilmour (Pink Floyd)

Jim Morrison (The Doors)

Ronnie James Dio (Rainbow)

Greg Lake (Emerson, Lake & Palmer)

Geddy Lee (Rush)

Peter Gabriel (Genesis)

Phil Collins (Genesis)

Billie Joe Armstrong (Green Day)

Axl Rose (Guns N' Roses)

Jeff Buckley (Solo)

Jimi Hendrix (The Jimi Hendrix Experience)

Jimmy Gnecco (Ours)

Johnny Cash (Solo)

Justin Timberlake (N' SYNC)

Kid Cudi (Solo)

Brandon Flowers (The Killers)

Adrian Belew (King Crimson)

Paul Stanley (Kiss)

Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin)

Rob Thomas (Matchbox Twenty)

Meat Loaf Aday (Meat Loaf)

Dave Mustaine (Megadeth)

James Hetfield (Metallica)

Matt Bellamy (Muse)

Maynard James Keenan (Tool)

Roger Waters (Pink Floyd)

Sting (The Police)

Freddie Mercury (Queen)

Geoff Tate (Queensryche)

Josh Homme (Queens Of The Stone Age)

Graham Bonnet (Rainbow)

Joe Lynn Turner (Rainbow)

Jack White (The White Stripes)

Brenden Benson (The Raconteurs)

Sammy Hagar (Solo)

Tom Araya (Slayer)

Dennis DeYoung (Styx)

Tommy Shaw (Styx)

James Young (Styx)

Rik Emmett (Triumph)

Gil Moore (Triumph)

Bono (U2)

David Lee Roth (Van Halen)

Scott Weiland (Stone Temple Pilots)

Rivers Cuomo (Weezer)

Jon Anderson (Yes)

QUOTE (Ted Barchetta @ Oct 10 2010, 08:14 PM)
Roger Chapman from Family. He has a very distinctive voice: It's best described as a cross between Peter Gabriel and a Leslie speaker cabinet. It's kind of hard to get used to at first.

Definitely!!! I've never heard anyone else sing like him. A very unique style of "vibrato".

QUOTE (tick @ Oct 11 2010, 01:34 AM)
Me! atickhum.gif

laugh.gif Having seen one of your videos, I'd agree with this too.

But at the very least, you could have posted another example of your talent

Ozzy is an obvious example. No one sounds like him, nor is he imitated. Not a great voice in a classic sense, but damn, the guy has charisma and can totally project a certain energy. A country counterpart would be Wille Nelson. Unbeatable in his department and I totally love him for what he is.

A couple more...

Jim Dandy Mangrum- Black Oak Arkansas. Sounds like a cross of David Lee Roth (kinda looks like a hillbilly version of DLR), Captian Beefheart, and an old Buick V-6 engine with a blown muffler.

Mike Patton- Faith No More, Mr. Bungle ( 1022.gif ), Tomahawk, etc. Total vocal histrionics and unafraid to sound weird. Totally uses his voice as an instrument. Of any sort.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 10 2010, 10:59 AM)
I was thinking the other day when a Genesis song came on my iTunes rotation how unique Phil Collins' voice is. There's no mistaking him for someone else, and nobody else sounds like him. Same with Geddy. It got me thinking, how many singers have truly unique voices?

You listen to someone like Eddie Vedder, and there are a million clones out there. If a song came on the radio you'd never heard before that sounded like Pearl Jam, you might be surprised to hear the DJ say it was the latest from some other band. Robert Plant has been accurately copied so many times he should start getting royalties from people like Jack Russell (from Great White).

Who has a voice you would consider truly unique?

I guess Phil is unique now, but when he first came out as the singer of Genesis I thought he sounded just like Peter Gabriel.

Another person I might add as unique would be Robert Smith.

Errr...ah.....isn't everybody's voice unique?

QUOTE (ozzy85 @ Oct 12 2010, 04:38 PM)
Mike Patton- Faith No More, Mr. Bungle ( 1022.gif ), Tomahawk, etc. Total vocal histrionics and unafraid to sound weird. Totally uses his voice as an instrument. Of any sort.

yes.gif

He's the first person I thought of when I read the thread title. What he does with his voice is really in a totally different realm than most other vocalists.

Layne Staley (RIP) - Former Alice In Chains singer. I always thought he had an unique and original voice as well. Jerry Cantrell and Layne's replacement, William Duvall do a good job of paying tribute to him by singing very similar though.

Archived