Your Biggest Musical Regret..

The Owl

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Oct 19 2010, 11:07 AM)
QUOTE (New World Kid @ Oct 15 2010, 09:57 AM)
When I was just starting to drum, like, within the first couple of months, the local drum shop down the road where I took lessons was having a workshop with a supposed famous drummer.

Me not recognizing his name, or any of his associated acts, I sorta scoffed off the like $5 charge to get into hear this guy talk about his approach to drumming. So who was this guy?

Steve Gadd.

Steve Gadd: "was"? He still is one of the most respected drummers in the world. I believe he specializes in jazz, the hardest music to play. Look him up and watch him on youtube? he plays with a lot finesse, something you may not appreciate now, but someday you might... wink.gif

I got to see Steve last Feb, he is the touring drummer for Clapton . Still great

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I regret learning violin instead of cello.

I was originally a music major before I got my BA in English Lit and Philosophy (I had a full ride for voice) and then I quit because a. I didn't have the personality and b. I had a serious health issue. I regret quitting. I also regret all those years I sang Brahms. Stupid Brahms.

I had the opportunity to see Victor Borge live on his last tour, but I wanted to see both him and Yo-Yo Ma, so instead of going I chose not to see either one. Then Victor Borge died. I missed a day of school I was so upset. Faaaaaiiiiillllll.

I regret listening to my SCTV soundtrack in high school and not realizing that Geddy Lee was the lead singer of Rush. I could have been into Rush over a decade ago.

I got tickets to see MUSE for my birthday. Excitement aside, I wound up getting sick and ended up in the hospital ralphing my guts out. I'm seeing them again, but still. That could be two MUSE concerts instead of just one.

I regret all of those years I slept during music theory. I could have actually learned something.

This makes me feel like a musical failure.

QUOTE (Imaginos @ Oct 14 2010, 09:23 AM)
Not seeing Joe Bonamassa (before here was famous here in the UK) when he played in my local pub. Doh!

I know Joe Bonamassa. He grew up in the town over from me. Not only is he a killer player, he is a great down-to-earth guy as well.

Not seeing Springsteen in 2008. I could have got the ticket for free, so I don't really know why I just didn't say yes. The next day after thinking I called back and said that I would like to go there. Of course, it was too late sad.gif

I missed Springsteen again in 2009. I hope I'll get one chance more to see him. Then I won't miss it!

My biggest musical regret would have to be never going into voice lessons or taking any kind of choral music after 10th grade.. Two years without singing in a formal setting has probably been terrible for my voice. Even if I wanted to get back into it in college, I don't know if I would be able to get my chops back. :|

And I sorely regret taking AP Spanish over Jazz Band this year (scheduling conflicts) -- JB was always my stress relief, but AP Spanish just stresses me out! Ugh. And I can feel my playing ability slipping away since I only play in concert band now.

Biggest regret is not going to see Rush on R30 as I thought at the time I was too young to go over on my own to see them although I was 19

I did go over however in 07 for them 3 times and going over another 3 times this may

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Feb 15 2011, 08:34 PM)
It's not concert related but it is music related. I sold my 1968 Gibson ES335. What the hell was I thinking?

omg.

hey, we all look back and wish we still had some material thing that would mean more to us now than it did back then. at the time, i'm sure it must have seemed like the right thing to do.

damn. i wish i could make such a beauty return to you, though.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Dec 7 2010, 06:31 AM)
Not inventing a time machine, so I was unable going back and persuade Mr. & Mrs. Bongiovi not to have a night of jiggery-pokery the night they conceived John.

Yeah, that's a big one.

Man, that's really bad. I feel for you.

My biggest regret is that no matter how much I have attempted over the years, I cannot make myself have musical talent. bass clarinet, clarinet, recorder, guitar, harmonica, piano, keyboard, flute, bass, tamborine... I just cannot make music sad.gif [is this really a regret? or just bad karma?)

Also, I wish I could have seen Led Zeppelin perform live. (did see Pink Floyd in '75, tho smile.gif )

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Oct 13 2010, 03:15 PM)
Being born in 1970 rather than 1960, which meant I would've gotten into music in 1970 rather than 1980.

yeah, as a child of the '70's (born in '57, came of age in the '70's), I can say that we had The_Best music scene happening! even better than the '60's music scene, imvho cool.gif

Two easy ones:

1. Missing Bowie in 2004. Really wanted to go but didn't have the money. I'd be shocked if he ever toured again.

2. Elton John is playing at my school's new basketball arena the day after tomorrow and I got screwed out of tickets because the school handled the ticket distribution in such a way that I found myself longing for Ticketmaster. Think about the words "longing for Ticketmaster" for a second.

Missed NIN a bunch of times over the years but I did get to see the Hollywood Palladium farewell show in 2009 so that made up for it.

Not seeing The Police on the Synchronicity tour, 1983. Friend had an extra ticket but I didn't have the bread. Man, that was THE tour to see that summer.

I saw The Cops in 2007 but I was a bit disappointed--mainly because some of the songs were re-arranged so much so, that I didn't know what it was until Gordon started singing the first words!

Been very fortunate to have seen some top "classic" bands over the years including RUSH, Yes , Zep, Stones, Floyd , Bad Co, Neil Young, The Who, Paul McCartney .

I guess the only regret was not been old enough to see The Beatles ...although by all accounts at the height of Beatlemania, you couldn't hear them anyway over all the screaming !

First and foremost, I regret not seeing Rush when they played Hershey in 1980, (parental issues)

I regret not seeing Led Zeppelin, Queen & Frank Zappa

I regret not pursuing a career in music

I could go on, but you'd regret opening up this thread! rofl3.gif

QUOTE (summer_sky @ Feb 15 2011, 08:48 PM)
QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Feb 15 2011, 08:34 PM)
It's not concert related but it is music related. I sold my 1968 Gibson ES335. What the hell was I thinking?

omg.

hey, we all look back and wish we still had some material thing that would mean more to us now than it did back then. at the time, i'm sure it must have seemed like the right thing to do.

damn. i wish i could make such a beauty return to you, though.

It did seem like the right thing to do at the time. It was the late 80s and I was in college and needed the cash. Of all the guitars I have owned (and there have been many), that is the one that got away.

i saw Porcupine Tree at the Electric Factory about two years back, and they were selling tickets for The Mars Volta at the box office and i didnt f***ing buy one for NO REASON! i even thought about it i just didnt buy it! GOD I HATE MYSELF SOMETIMES!

and now Thomas Pridgen left, so i regret it even more.

Not seeing:

- Eagles with full line-up when they got back together.

- Van Hagar

Now I cannot see them anymore- I refuse to go see them due to line-up changes.

- Not seeing Beethoven's 5th and Ravel's Bolero performed live locally last year by the local symphony orchestra.

Going to see:

- Allman Brothers and Gov't Mule. And not just because some guy decided to smoke a joint and get arrested in front of us.

- Some band festival that had Fiction Plane. WAY too loud. Outdoors. I was having an allergy attack. In the middle of December- which is NOT allergy season where I live. This was not even my idea, though.

- While the Nightwish concert ROCKED, their opening act (Paradise Lost) royally sucked. But Nightwish was AWESOME- so I cannot call it a regret.

Sadly, Freddie Mercury died before I had even heard of Queen. So not being able to see Queen should not count in my case. I did see The Music of Queen performed by the local symphony orchestra last month- to say that it was supremely good is an understatement.

selling my sweet (at the time) Mapex V series drumkit so that I could buy a 4WD.

Dunno what I was thinking at the time, but I sold a part of myself with the drums that day. Its taken over 7 years for me to be in a position to own a drum kit again.

Here are a few I'm still kicking myself for.

Had a chance to see Adam Ant in '95 when 'Wonderful' came out, and decided not to go.

Missed the Styx reunion, T4E, and Ramones farewell tours due mostly to geographical reasons, and because I was obsessed with the Kiss reunion at the time.

Also could've seen U2 on the Joshua Tree tour, but my pigheaded sister wouldn't let me tag along with her and the new boyfriend, who is now my brother-in-law. They did take me to Van Halen's Monsters of Rock show the next year though, where I got to see Metallica for the first time.

Missed The Police reunion due to being flat ass broke.

Also missed Neil & Tim Finn doing an acoustic show, due to tickets selling out by the time I found out about it.

Archived