Misheard RUSH lyrics

PriestOfSyrinx

QUOTE (KW84 @ Jul 15 2012, 02:08 AM)
The Pope has a shop in the city.

God, I have to stop reading this thread.

From now on I always hear:

'your lion' - in 'The Weapon'

'lemony cake' - in 'Bastille Day'

and now the Pope... rofl3.gif it's too much!

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I'm standing in front of the mirror this morning drying my hair. With a song in my head, as usual, I realize that I have misheard a word in a favorite song of mine for nearly 30 years now. 30 years!

Through into the light of Deneb.

It made perfect sense to my ear 30 years ago and got burned into my brain when I was a teenager. I still hear it that way now and sing it that way; it still makes sense to me. I've seen the lyrics. I know its "flew into". I understand why that makes much more sense than my lyric.

I think its because I originally copied AFTK to a cassette from a friend's album 1287.gif That cassette *was* my copy of AFTK for many years until I bought the CD in the mid 80s. I never really studied the lyrics, I knew (I thought) what I was hearing. Nothing challenged my ear like CygnusX-1. It immediately became my favourite Rush song and pushed me further into my interest in astronomy (total amateur).

So even this morning, after misquoting a lyric last night (and getting called on it in the forum, no less), I'm singing CygnusX-1 in my mind and we set a course just east of Lyra, and northwest of Pegasus, through into the light of Deneb... No! banghead.gif "Flew into the light of Deneb!"

Amazing how our brains improperly record and then, years later, the effects are finally realized. I wonder what else lurks in the wings. Know gleaming alloy air car, so at least there's no concern there.

And, BTW, I will never be able to hear "lemony cake" or "your lion" quite the same now that I read this thread (and figured out "Your Lion"s handle). Neither of those variations had even occurred to me before TRF. doh.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Geddyleegenes @ Aug 5 2012, 02:04 PM)
From "Caravan", I swear Geddy is having a laugh and is actually saying:

"In a world lit only butt-fire"

I mean, put it on and listen to it. He doesn't say "by". He says "butt".

firedevil.gif

laugh.gif Nice one! I can kinda hear what you mean.

Heh... butt fire....

QUOTE (NobodysHeroine @ Jul 13 2012, 06:33 PM)
I've always heard the line in "Time Stand Still" as "like some Bilbo who learns to transcend," instead of "like some pilgrim who learns to transcend." I don't know why, but I do. I know that's not what he says, but it's funny.

I'm like, "What does Bilbo Baggins have to do with 'Time Stand Still'? Neil has had LOTR references, but this is going a little far." laugh.gif

I need to learn how to do the multiple quote thing...

I've misheard this line, too, but as "Like some pilgrim, who learns to try an' send". Learn to try and send what, I never knew; maybe send time backward a little bit, but I suppose the real lyrics make more sense for a reason! wink.gif

Oh, I can totally kind of hear 'Bilbo' now! biggrin.gif

Alright, the real reason I popped into this thread again, before I got sidetracked with funny misheard lyrics:

From 'Territories':

The line is, "Why move around the world when Eden was so near" [which I just found out today!]

What I hear is, "Why move around the world, even once a year". I think the original lyrics definitely make more sense! I was wondering why it was apparently such a common thing to do, move around the world once a year, that it appears in a song!

As well as the "fish island",

I also had "monday warrior" in Tom Sawyer.

And "through into the light of Deneb"

Hope that's a comfort.

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Oct 5 2010, 07:21 PM)
Living in the FISH ISLANDS, caught in the camera eye

Haha I used to sing, "Living on a fishing island".

laugh.gif

QUOTE (FORCE10 @ Apr 11 2011, 04:59 PM)
Come on, SOMEONE must've misheard "an air of joie de vivre" in Force Ten. I remember playing that part over and over trying to figure out what Ged was saying. I kept telling myself, "It's gotta be something in the English language!" wacko.gif

-an heir of jwah de me
-anne air of jwah de me

I had no clue.

But those are actually the lyrics...

You should be proud you heard it correctly the first time. When I used to sing it, I'd just mumble or skip that line completely.

QUOTE (Mika @ Sep 11 2012, 12:44 AM)
QUOTE (Gnoom @ Jun 21 2012, 10:59 PM)
Fish stick rhythms

Capture my cods, a very thin filet

rofl3.gif

I like this! Something very fishy is going on here!

laugh.gif

These always got me from the 80s...

A hopeful big ben

on a world without end

any escape might help to soothe

the others trite but true

the others have not chance to sue

the restless dream of you

QUOTE (Unobtrusive Companion @ Sep 14 2012, 11:42 AM)
Just a side note, the official name for a misheard lyric is a mondegreen, didn't know that until today laugh.gif

Cool! I did not know that either! Wiki has an interesting page on mondegreen, including the information that Manfred Mann's Earth Bands' cover of Springsteen's "Blinded by the Light," has the most misheard lyric of all time", e.g. "revved up like a deuce" is frequently misheard as "wrapped up like a douche". yes.gif

Seems like "A Monday warrior" should be pretty high on the list also, yes.gif yes.gif Who didn't hear it that way at first?