Is college a rip-off?

Steel Rat

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Oct 6 2010, 07:11 PM)
QUOTE (KenJennings @ Oct 6 2010, 06:48 PM)
College is absolutely a rip-off. They soak you in tuition- which has inflated at a faster rate than any other commodity on the market (seriously, find anything that's inflated faster- not even Gas a $4/gallon did).  Then they have the gall to crawl to your state/federal government and ask for subsidy and handout. So they soak you in tuition, they soak you in your taxes, then they indoctrinate you with their monopoly on information, and chastise you if you dare to dissent.

The college system is a total joke and needs to be completely dismantled and replaced. Independent learning is the way of the future; look into an e-college or some sort of vocational certification. What I've found out is: not only is hands on work more satisfying at a personal level (seeing work actually come from your hands is great), it actually ends up paying better in the vast majority of cases. Skilled tradesmen are in a vast shortage right now.

laugh.gif lighten up francis.

Yeah, I'm all about the drama, but we're all shaped by our experiences. I was always a good student in high school, and when I graduated; I got a full time night job, and attended school in the day. After 3 years, I just dropped out, because I was sinking a TON of cash into a program that failed to appreciate my unique outlook on life, unusual style of inventiveness, and willingness to challenge absolutely everything i'm told. Despite having half-way-decent grades, I didn't see college worth investing another dollar in. They sucked all of my productivity out of me, and my productivity is all I got's. Meanwhile, in the workplace,, I was being promoted, having success, being noticed for my extra efforts, and making money, rather than losing it. It was a polar world of difference; night and day, literally and figuratively. Working hard to gain experience is so much more satisfying than seeing it disappear into a pit of attempted indoctrination, perusing the same piece of paper that 100 other applicants will have...

I understand we need certain college educated skill positions... but a degree is grossly over-emphasized; and the fact is, you really need to have a lot of focus on what you want to become, if you want it to pay off.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The key is having an idea of what career path you want to follow. If you plan on getting into an industry such as education, finance, healthcare, etc., a degree would be very useful.

However, if you are good with your hands and prefer a career as an auto mechanic, a carpenter, an electrician, etc., then a trade school would be more useful.

I know it's hard at a younger age to make up your mind and decide what you want to do in life. Not many of us knew what we wanted to do in life when we were college aged.

Taking classes for the sake of taking classes isn't the best idea. But, not going to school at all isn't a good idea either. The competition for jobs these days is just too tough, and you're better off having as much education and experience as possible in the field you want to work in.

Is college a ripoff? It depends on the school and what you want to get out of it. Yes, there are schools that are overpriced. I think the question really should be, is college for me?

Think about what skills you have, what you're good at, and see how they can work for you in a particular field. Are you a people person? Are you good with your hands? Are you good at math or science? Figure out what interests you the most. Once you have an idea, start heading in the direction it takes you. You're young, and you can always change your mind later.

The mistake would be to do nothing at all, and wind up stuck in a dead-end job. If you think you have room to grow at your current job, and there is an opportunity for making decent money, find out what classes you can take to further your career at your current job. Become an expert at what you do.

Ahhh...to be young again. wink.gif

Good luck.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Oct 5 2010, 02:23 PM)
What is your goal with a music degree? The only solid job you can get from a "college music degree" is the possibility to play with a major symphony orchestra, or teach music.

I've heard exactly that from people who have went through, got their music degrees. They were competing for teaching jobs with people who had NO DEGREE, but were just as knowledgeable (or even more knowledgeable) than the one's with the degrees.....

I started University this year, and tuition here is over 6000$ per semester. I'm living on residence right now, so my tuition and residence fees were almost 11 000$ for this term, plus textbooks and other fees; next semester will be the same.

However, here, we do a 5 year co-op program. That means that every 4-months, you switch from school to work and back. This kind of helps with the debt, and gets you experience with your degree; if you can find a job. It depends on what type on Engineering you're here for, but apparently the average % of students who get a job is like 80 or 90%. Not bad, but it is highly competitive.

I look at this being worth it. I may be up to over 50 000$ dollars in debt by the time I graduate in 2015, however, I feel as though my degree itself will be worth that. Students here are more likely to continue into a Masters degree or a PhD. Most of my professors once started with the program I am here for, and have since continued on to other projects.

My biggest passion and interest is history, especially war history. But, I realized before it was too late that all you can do with the degree is teach, or work in a museum. Neither of which I wanted to do; so I decided on my second passion, mechanics (physics). No offense to you, but I feel the same thing applied to music.

If you think college is a waste of you time and money, then you need to reconsider the fact you're there. University will put me in the ground, but I'm here, a month in, and loving everyday of it. If you think it's a waste of your time, you're going to get nothing out of your degree.

Don't waste your time.

Since I turned seventeen I've been pretty set on being a failure unless I go to College. The cost / debt is intimidating, but I think the experience and reward will be worth it.

It's really at times like this where I wish I could see into the future, actually. I've never worked a paying job, but if it's true that it's better to go straight into work from High School then I might as well part time, right?

...I don't even know, everything sucks and what to do I find it hard to know. Lift me up.

Even if you do make it, you're still living inside of a box. I've been considering hitch hiking away for a while now, I'm not sure.

http://youtu.be/35TbGjt-weA

But of course, plenty of people are successful out of college still, there's always duds, and it's unfortunate.. Hope for the best?

I was just thinking today whether or not college is a rip off. I am going to be a junior in high school this year, so I really need to start looking at schools. I agree that college isn't necessary for everyone, but my parents are convinced that I need to go to college, and they would not be happy if I decided I didn't want to go.

The problem with me is that almost everything that I'm interested in won't get me a good, well-paying job. For example, I like history, but there are really no jobs in that field other than teaching. Music is another thing I want to go to college for. I'd like to do something like production, but that is a competitive field, and I could learn everything by reading books instead of paying thousands to go to school for it. I'd also be interested in film scoring or orchestration, but that is also very competitive, and I'm not sure if I'd want to do it for the rest of my life. I would never go to music school if I planned on performing, because I think that the current private music lessons I'm currently taking are adequate. The only thing that I could picture me doing for a living in the music field is teaching. I wouldn't mind giving lessons and/or owning a music school.

I've recently began thinking about going to school for business. This school year, I'm probably going to be taking an entrepreneurship/small business management class, which should help me decide. I'd like to own a restaurant someday, so taking business classes is something that would really benefit this. I'm also trying to get a job in a restaurant just to get a start and to get used to the environment.

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jun 30 2011, 09:35 PM)
I'd like to own a restaurant someday, so taking business classes is something that would really benefit this. I'm also trying to get a job in a restaurant just to get a start and to get used to the environment.

You will probably have to take culinary science as well, if you want to be involved in tha actual food preparation. You'll have to be trained in all the areas of restaurant business - health/sanitation laws and regulations, nutrition guidelines, how to create a good menu, etc.

My sister just finished her culinary science degree, and her first job was working for a pair of young punks who had just opened an Irish restaurant/bar. These punks knew NOTHING about the restaurant business, and they basically spent their time getting drunk. They fired her after two weeks, as she didn't fit in with their good ol' boy club. angry.gif angry.gif

Be prepared! The restaurant business is not for the faint of heart. smile.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Jun 30 2011, 10:52 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jun 30 2011, 09:35 PM)
I'd like to own a restaurant someday, so taking business classes is something that would really benefit this. I'm also trying to get a job in a restaurant just to get a start and to get used to the environment.

You will probably have to take culinary science as well, if you want to be involved in tha actual food preparation. You'll have to be trained in all the areas of restaurant business - health/sanitation laws and regulations, nutrition guidelines, how to create a good menu, etc.

My sister just finished her culinary science degree, and her first job was working for a pair of young punks who had just opened an Irish restaurant/bar. These punks knew NOTHING about the restaurant business, and they basically spent their time getting drunk. They fired her after two weeks, as she didn't fit in with their good ol' boy club. angry.gif angry.gif

Be prepared! The restaurant business is not for the faint of heart. smile.gif

Food preparation is another thing that I'd like to do, but I'm also interested in the business end of things.

My family knows a few people who own restaurants (diners & pizza places). I've talked to them about the restaurant business, so I know how difficult it is to manage the business end of things, while dealing with employees and customers.

For me it's university or bust.

I want to be in the writing/journalism/teaching field (can't choose which one) so I pretty much have to have a degree or I'm toast. Something with writing is pretty much my best bet at a job since the other things I'm good at have zero job prospects.. Or, at least none that I'm remotely interested in.

I am going to be so far in debt to my parents it won't even be funny. But I'm confident that since I am going to one of the top schools for English in the state they'll prepare me well.

Wish me luck guys. Just a month-and-a-half before UNL starts raking in the cash.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 6 2010, 07:24 PM)
QUOTE (Steel Rat @ Oct 5 2010, 02:16 AM)
I'm starting to feel stupid for going to college. First of all, I have to pay $4000 a semester.

The subject of cost has come up a few times, and I'd like to raise a point about it - where does $4000 go? That's what, $1000 a month? You get a place to live, meals (some of them anyway, depending on your plan) and instruction from a variety of professors.

The $4000/semester figure is exclusively for the privilege of signing up for classes and going to the school. It does not pay for living costs or books or even the course fees of at least $25 (and up to $200) for each class.

So I pay $4000/semester. Then I rent my own apartment near campus. Then I buy my own food. Then I buy my own books. Then I pay course fees. Then I pay for required materials that aren't books - for example, a musical instrument, $30 to rent a locker from the school to store the instrument, a $30 director's baton, an 8gb SD card, a graphing calculator...

All of these things would be provided for you in high school for free, I guess I'm confused as to why college doesn't do the same.

And of course, there's lost income due to the time that is consumed by attending school instead of working.

And there's also interest rates if you go into debt, which are going up every year.

Edited by Steel Rat

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jun 30 2011, 11:42 PM)
QUOTE (Steel Rat @ Jun 30 2011, 06:40 PM)
Tell me what you think of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpZtX32sKVE...540474&kw=truth

first, there are jobs that absolutely require the degree such as medicine, law, engineering - professional degrees. There are plenty of degrees that are not necessary to actually do the job such as most of your business degrees and liberal arts degrees.

second, realizing this does not help since many companies will not hire you without the degree. I was "forced" to return and finish my degree (graduated in 2008) in order to keep the job I already had. While I enjoyed the experience, the difference the degree has made on my job is extremely minimal and not worth the time, effort, and money put into it.

If you can, I suggest getting most of your degree at the community, state/public level to lower your costs. Most places won't care where your degree is from as long as the school is appropriately accredited.

While I'd hate to give up on my friends or the social experience of college (which helped my self-esteem a lot after a bad HS experience), for me, yes, it was a waste of money. I didn't even entertain not going, because college is "what one did" after high school. I didn't know what I wanted to do (and, at 38, still don't), couldn't hack the courses needed to get a good job, never figured out how to get a decent job, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, have no connections to anyone who can get me an in. So, it's been one job after another that I wouldn't even have had to graduate high school to do. The most money I ever made was $13 an hour, but our jobs were outsourced and I'm now back to $9.75 with ZERO opportunity for overtime. Before I paid my car loan off, I wasn't even making enough to pay the bills. If I want front row for Rush next year, I'm looking at having to get a second job either now or in the future.

You don't know what I'd give to have listened to my mother and gone to nursing school. Not that I'm at all sure I want to be a nurse, but I sure as s*** don't want to be where I am now.

Unless you know with certainty what you want to do, will go to a school that will teach you that specific trade, and that trade is in high demand, college is a waste. Now I know you're thinking you may not want to do any of those trades that are in high demand, but trust me, you don't want to end up like me. Either way, you'll likely end up doing a job you don't want to do, but if you go into something like healthcare, you'll at least make enough to live on, and have enough money to do enjoyable things after work that will take your mind off how much your job sucks. I don't have that luxury.

Has anyone here gone homeless? Just to hitch hike / couch surf / be free and travel light across the world?

I'm highly considering this. You need to do it before you have a steady job, wife, etc... Just take a few months to a year to let it all go and be free & roam..

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jul 1 2011, 02:38 AM)
QUOTE (Steel Rat @ Jun 30 2011, 06:40 PM)
Tell me what you think of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpZtX32sKVE...540474&kw=truth

Alright, finished it. What I think? Bias, over-dramatic, and some flat out lies, yet, it's informative. So it's much like a moore film in that respect.

I felt the same - over-dramatic, yet informative. And definitely biased.

what did you think they lied about?

Edited by Steel Rat

After applying to many jobs over the past few months and getting rejected by all, I'm starting college again in August sad.gif

I don't know if I'll ever get rid of this burning hatred of society...

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Jul 1 2011, 10:13 AM)
After applying to many jobs over the past few months and getting rejected by all, I'm starting college again in August sad.gif

Good for you amigo. trink39.gif

It's a great feeling when you finally get that diploma. smile.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jul 1 2011, 11:14 AM)

I'm sure I'll still be undesirable to the work force once I have that stupid piece of paper. I'm not getting a bachelor's, just an associates. Equivalent to about a 7th grade education these days...

You need to know your passion. Know what you are really good at and what you love. College isn't for everyone, but it's only a waste if you don't get creative and search to understand yourself enough to know your passion.

As far as earning $, if you truly don't know what you want to do with your life, how is any employer going to find you desireable? If you work your ass off with passion and take ANY job you can find seroiusly, you are on the right track. Attitude is everything.

Another thing I have learned is that "The Best Schools" are a bit overrated. If you are a kick-ass employee, people don't care where you went to school, and if you are a lazy whiner who went to Harvard, you're not really better off...In the long run

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Jul 1 2011, 10:19 AM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jul 1 2011, 11:14 AM)

I'm sure I'll still be undesirable to the work force once I have that stupid piece of paper. I'm not getting a bachelor's, just an associates. Equivalent to about a 7th grade education these days...

Don't stop there. Keep going after you get your associates!

Well, I'm currently paying $6500 CAD a term for University here (+ another $500-$1000 for textbooks per term), because Engineering tuition in Canada is not regulated. I think whether it is a "rip-off" depends on the career, the university, and the program. I think my program - although maybe not worth the price I am paying - IS worth getting the degree, because the experience I get from my program being co-op will start me off at approximately $22-25/h after my 5 years. And the schooling is important.

Honestly, everyone makes fun of Arts programs because they get you no where.

But, I believe there are opportunities for every program.

But that's just IMO.

Edited by Padfoot