favorite song vs. best song.

liddybuck01

Just a weird thing i was thinking about...

A lot of us really love some of Rush's songs that aren't usually referred to as their "best" work.

For example, my favorite song is Earthshine, and most of you seem to find it an ok song, but certainly not their best. Then i also really like Xanadu, which people like a lot more. Another example would be, say, the necromancer vs. Tom sawyer. Get the idea here?

I just like seeing peoples' personal opinion versus popular opinion.

So i guess i'm just saying to list your favorite less "popular" song and favorite more "popular" song.e

My favorite "less popular" song is Grand Designs. It just flat out rocks, has Geddy's best vocal performance of all time IMO, and has great lyrics. I'm a sucker for their synth years.

My favorite "popular" song is Closer To The Heart. I used to really hate this thing, but it just grew on me somewhere along the way.

Favorite less popular song: Kid Gloves -

I love this song with all of my heart. It speaks to me in a such a personal level. I can't go a day without listening to it.

Favorite more popular song: The Trees -

Fantastic imagery and funny lyrics. Perfectly crafted piece of kickass prog rock.

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Oct 3 2010, 06:00 PM)
I just like seeing peoples' personal opinion versus popular opinion.

Personal opinion vs. popular opinion. Okay biggrin.gif

Presto, Hold Your Fire, Power Windows and what the hell, Vapor Trails, are all better albums than Moving Pictures.

Everyday Glory (I'm picking this since there's another thread about it right now, there's a dozen others I could choose) is better than Tom Sawyer.

Time Stand Still is better than Free Will.

Grand Designs is better than anything on the debut album and most of what's on Fly By Night.

That was fun biggrin.gif

My favorite "unpopular" song is... Middletown Dreams. Is that considered unpopular?

My favorite "popular" song is Natural Science.

Favorite unpopular song: I Think I'm Going Bald. This usually makes everyone's least favorite song list and is almost always picked the worst song on CoS but I love it.

Favorite popular song: La Villa Strangiato (I guess by popular we mean loved by Rush and their fans).

Favorite Most Popular overplayed radio song: Limelight. Still not sick of it after 29 years even though I hear it all the time.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 3 2010, 10:48 PM)

Presto, Hold Your Fire, Power Windows and what the hell, Vapor Trails, are all better albums than Moving Pictures.

Everyday Glory (I'm picking this since there's another thread about it right now, there's a dozen others I could choose) is better than Tom Sawyer.

LMFAO z7shysterical.gif

Those are all really good albums you mentioned, but lets not get ahead of ourselves. C'mon people, reign it back in.

QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ Oct 5 2010, 05:59 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 3 2010, 10:48 PM)

LMFAO z7shysterical.gif

Those are all really good albums you mentioned, but lets not get ahead of ourselves. C'mon people, reign it back in.

Well that's just it... personal opinion vs. popular opinion, right? I actually do like those albums more than Moving Pictures (yes, even Vapor Trails) for various reasons. Moving Pictures is great, but I like the others more. I play them more, and I have a higher opinion of them. In fact, the only track on Moving Pictures that I still play with any regularity is The Camera Eye. For some reason, that's stayed pretty fresh.

Tom Sawyer, I'm over. It's played out. 30 years of hearing practically nothing else on the radio and hearing from people that it's the greatest song ever made has numbed me to it. I don't like it anymore; it bores me.

My favorite Rush songs tend to be among their most popular ones. Looking at my list of top 30 Rush songs, these are the only ones that I think are borderline unpopular:

15. The Fountain of Lamneth

17. Lakeside Park

18. Armor & Sword

29. Bastille Day

30. Nobody's Hero

Some people's choices for unpopular songs they love puzzle me, like Xanadu or A Farewell to Kings. How on earth are these songs unpopular?

Anyway, here's my top ten Rush songs - all very popular among Rush fans as far as I'm concerned:

1. Subdivisions

2. Tom Sawyer

3. Xanadu

4. La Villa Strangiato

5. YYZ

6. Limelight

7. Red Barchetta

8. The Spirit of Radio

9. The Trees

10. A Farewell To Kings

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Oct 3 2010, 07:31 PM)
Favorite less popular song: Vital Signs (love the lyrics)
Favorite popular song: Subdivisions (opening synth kicks ass)

^ This... Exactly.

I also just really like the lyrics in Subdivisions... The whole description of growing up in suburbia is pretty dead-on in my opinion.

EDIT:

Oh - and for some reason I just love Neil's drumming in Vital Signs...

Archived