Alex's voice mic was on - and he sounded good!

Mara

No kidding. I think we've all heard Alex make some painful attempts at singing backup before. And there are times when he's either lip-synching or his mic is turned off/way down in the mix. I've always sort of felt sorry for the guy - you can tell he's REALLY into it but he was always just so off key.

But maybe age has been kind to his singing equipment, because he sounded pretty darned decent last night! No, he's not ready to step in and replace Geddy, or have a song written for him as lead vocalist. But there was nothing to be ashamed of.

Am I the only one who noticed this on this year's tour?

No, you ain't the only person to notice it. He has been louder, and as the tour gets further in, he has been getting louder. I heard somewhere that he took singing lessons, but don't quote me on that.

Especially in the penultimate song of the 1st set (spoiler) :

Edited by Sir Lerxst

QUOTE (Mara @ Sep 30 2010, 12:24 PM)
No kidding. I think we've all heard Alex make some painful attempts at singing backup before. And there are times when he's either lip-synching or his mic is turned off/way down in the mix. I've always sort of felt sorry for the guy - you can tell he's REALLY into it but he was always just so off key.

But maybe age has been kind to his singing equipment, because he sounded pretty darned decent last night! No, he's not ready to step in and replace Geddy, or have a song written for him as lead vocalist. But there was nothing to be ashamed of.

Am I the only one who noticed this on this year's tour?

I was too far away from the band to really notice anything like vocals or what songs were played etc (ha-ha)

Actually I noticed the same thing last night as well. Many things went well.

Unless I missed something, the show was pretty flawless, and Alex guitar tech was unable to screw up the show!

Amazing show!!

Why do you think that Alex's mic is turned down/off? I've heard him plenty of other times. Yeah, he's not the greatest singer in the world but consider that he is singing harmonies with Geddy-freaking-Lee!! ohmy.gif

Here is an example from the Toronto SARS-Relief concert. You can distinctly hear Lerxst on the chorus:

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Oct 1 2010, 12:57 AM)
Why do you think that Alex's mic is turned down/off? I've heard him plenty of other times. Yeah, he's not the greatest singer in the world but consider that he is singing harmonies with Geddy-freaking-Lee!! ohmy.gif

Here is an example from the Toronto SARS-Relief concert. You can distinctly hear Lerxst on the chorus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmhuW_X1vrI

Just a joking reference to Al's "vocals", which have at times been a bit shaky. I'm sure most of us have heard that audio. Of course his mic is on and up...just not up a whole lot. It is a backing vocal after all.

It's the same thing as joking about Bono's guitar not being plugged in for U2 fans. He always seems to like holding it more than actually playing it. But do you really need Bono to play guitar? No. And, for that matter, does Rush need Alex to do backing vocals? Not really.

QUOTE (friendlyvoice @ Oct 1 2010, 01:32 AM)
QUOTE (HowItIs @ Oct 1 2010, 12:57 AM)
Why do you think that Alex's mic is turned down/off? I've heard him plenty of other times. Yeah, he's not the greatest singer in the world but consider that he is singing harmonies with Geddy-freaking-Lee!!  ohmy.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmhuW_X1vrI

Just a joking reference to Al's "vocals", which have at times been a bit shaky. I'm sure most of us have heard that audio. Of course his mic is on and up...just not up a whole lot. It is a backing vocal after all.

It's the same thing as joking about Bono's guitar not being plugged in for U2 fans. He always seems to like holding it more than actually playing it. But do you really need Bono to play guitar? No. And, for that matter, does Rush need Alex to do backing vocals? Not really.

Okay, gotcha. 'cuz I've heard some people really bash on poor Alex. The fact that he tries is admirable considering who he is singing with!

QUOTE (friendlyvoice @ Oct 1 2010, 04:32 AM)
It's the same thing as joking about Bono's guitar not being plugged in for U2 fans. He always seems to like holding it more than actually playing it. But do you really need Bono to play guitar? No.

Kinda like Yes's Jon Anderson back in 1979 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8RPEsmjVvA&p=B75146BB98B2880E&playnext=1&index=15). Oh yeah, Jon...you really added a new dimension to that song. Er, I meant: you were playing? It seems some singers feel left out of the whole instrument thing.

Saw the Atlanta show and said to my buddy at one point "you can actually hear Alex". I just wish he would try to sing a harmony rather than just doubling Ged. I guess he's doing what he can.

Also on the topic of vocals, during Time Stand Still when Ged sings "I'm not looking back...." I wish he would sing that an octave down like it sounds on the record. But that's a minor complaint. The show was awesome as usual. Living legends they are.

Mike

I've noticed his voice growing on the boots I have as the tour has progressed.

One show on S&A I attended had his mike up really loud, but it was not good.

I'm still scratching my head at why he lip synchs the word "Subdivisions".

QUOTE (Middle Kingdom @ Oct 2 2010, 05:28 PM)
I've noticed his voice growing on the boots I have as the tour has progressed.

One show on S&A I attended had his mike up really loud, but it was not good.

Eh, because he's always done it? I don't really know, but my guess is he started off doing it as just the typical Alex goof-off, and it stuck, and became part of the show.

What's kind of funny is how many people think Alex is really saying "subdivisions" live, and that his voice is being modulated.

QUOTE (Middle Kingdom @ Oct 2 2010, 10:28 PM)

Back in the old days (1982 -1987/9) they didn't use the 'Subdivisions' sample from the Album, it was just Lerxst saying it in his normal voice. I guess he just didn't stop doing it.

Edited by Sir Lerxst

I agree! He did pretty well! I cringe whenever I watch the video of them doing Freewill, where Geddy was almost off, and Alex was pretty much the lead singer!

He did do well this tour, although I wish we got to hear some of his "singing" in La Villa, like on the Vapor Trails tour.

He sounded pretty good at the WPB show. There were a couple of songs where his voice enhanced the song. Caravan pops to mind because he didn't really sing for most of the song, but then just popped in on the chorus and it sounded really good.