RRHOF - what's the big deal anyway?

GernTheFish

I realize there have been countless threads about Rush not making the RRHOF, but haven't seen the question addressed in this way - why is the issue such a big deal to so many Rush fans? Why do countless people get irritated about who's in and who's been excluded? If it's such a sham (and it is), then who cares? If induction is nothing more than a popularity contest decided by a small, "elite" group of members, why do folks still get frustrated by the fact that Rush has been ignored. Truthfully, I admit it irritates me a little also. But I just don't understand exactly why.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 29 2010, 09:21 AM)
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

^^ What he said.

The main issue for me is that there are already artists in it who haven't had the long running success, album sales, loyal fanbase and musical chops Rush does. Yet, they still get in over them. It can get some people pissed off because of that.

It's like working your ass off at your job all the time and telling your boss you want that promotion coming up. But when the time comes someone else gets it who hasn't done as much as you because they're part of the boss's family or they kiss his ass.

It's just about getting respect and having a place where Rush can be immortalized forever for all the world to see. Plus, maybe by being in there it'll spark people's curiosity about them and we can welcome some more new fans to the Rush family.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Sep 29 2010, 10:45 AM)
rock and roll hall of fame 2011 nominees

Alice Cooper
Beastie Boys
Bon Jovi
Chic
Neil Diamond
Donovan
Dr. John
J. Geils Band
LL Cool J
Darlene Love
Laura Nyro
Donna Summer
Joe Tex
Tom Waits
Chuck Willis

From that group.....

Chic

Donna Summer

Beastie Boys

Alice Cooper

Joe Tex

That's about it, I always liked Joe Tex....RIP

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Sep 29 2010, 10:52 AM)
donna summer and chic are rock and roll?
c'mon man, regardless the whole thing is a joke. you could pay for my flight and all inclusive hotel stay and i still wouldn't go. laugh.gif

Neither would I. That's why I would never ever want the band to be inducted there. Nice building been there many times but just don't induct 2.gif there please.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Sep 29 2010, 08:45 AM)
rock and roll hall of fame 2011 nominees

Alice Cooper
Beastie Boys
Bon Jovi
Chic
Neil Diamond
Donovan
Dr. John
J. Geils Band
LL Cool J
Darlene Love
Laura Nyro
Donna Summer
Joe Tex
Tom Waits
Chuck Willis

Seriously? They announced them already? f**k, I thought this was the year they were getting nominated from interview snippets I'd heard.

I can understand, at least for the moment, why people tell the RRHOF to go f*ck itself, if some of these shit bands/acts can get nominated over Rush. What a load of bullshit.

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 29 2010, 10:21 AM)

goodpost.gif

I think omission is the greatest crime. How the crap are you gonna sit there and act like you know something about music and then keep a band like Rush, amazing ROCK musicians off the ballot. That's not them even getting in, just nominated.

Despite the obvious disrespect, I'm glad they're not in. The whole institutuion is a steaming bloated load that pays homage to album sales and little else. And people wonder why "the industry" is bombing.

QUOTE (Cyclops @ Sep 29 2010, 01:44 PM)
I think omission is the greatest crime. How the crap are you gonna sit there and act like you know something about music and then keep a band like Rush, amazing ROCK musicians off the ballot. That's not them even getting in, just nominated.

Despite the obvious disrespect, I'm glad they're not in. The whole institutuion is a steaming bloated load that pays homage to album sales and little else. And people wonder why "the industry" is bombing.

Agree... and the people at the RRHOF are just being old dickheads.

Who cares, it's the RRHOF. I thought we all talked about this before and we all mutually agreed that we would not give any more shits about whether Rush makes it in or not. Not getting in will make people be more like "Hey, Rush is an awesome band, they deserve some credit" and people will like them more. So........ yeah, lets stop caring. smile.gif

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Sep 29 2010, 10:37 AM)
It's just about getting respect ........

^^^^No offense intended, but THIS is the fundamental mistake that Rush fans are making.

Respect? Getting respect? Rush ALREADY has the highest respect on Earth - from themselves, their fans, their home country of Canada, and many other bands. That is ALL they need or want. If the band doesn't give a damn about the HoF, then we fans have no valid reason to want it.

Too many fans are using this petition for Rush's induction in order to disguise their own needs for personal validation and vindication. We all know how it has felt to have friends, relatives, and co-workers (and the Media, of course) all diss Rush and perhaps even criticize US for being fans. I can see how, for many fans, Rush's induction would bring that sense of vindication and even revenge.

If we fans have learned anything from Rush, it is that we should NEVER give a shit about what other people think...especially when those other people are deeply corrupt....

1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

For me, the blatant disrespect and intentional exclusion is what I find offensive. Rush deserves all the honor and recognition they can get, even if the RRHOF has become a joke. It didn't start out that way, and it would be nice to have a RRHOF worthy of respect reverence. Inducting Rush would go a long way toward restoring credibility to what was once a respectable institution.

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Sep 29 2010, 03:01 PM)
^^^^No offense intended, but THIS is the fundamental mistake that Rush fans are making.

Respect?  Getting respect?  Rush ALREADY has the highest respect on Earth - from themselves, their fans, their home country of Canada, and many other bands.  That is ALL they need or want.  If the band doesn't give a damn about the HoF, then we fans have no valid reason to want it.   

Too many fans are using this petition for Rush's induction in order to disguise their own needs for personal validation and vindication.  We all know how it has felt to have friends, relatives, and co-workers (and the Media, of course) all diss Rush and perhaps even criticize US for being fans.  I can see how, for many fans, Rush's induction would bring that sense of vindication and even revenge.

If we fans have learned anything from Rush, it is that we should NEVER give a shit about what other people think...especially when those other people are deeply corrupt....

1022.gif  2.gif  1022.gif  2.gif  1022.gif  2.gif  1022.gif

applaudit.gif

goodpost.gif

Couldn't have said it better! But I feel like that about most things. You don't like it - go F yourself, this is who I am.

QUOTE (KillerInstinct @ Sep 29 2010, 02:35 PM)
Who cares, it's the RRHOF. I thought we all talked about this before and we all mutually agreed that we would not give any more shits about whether Rush makes it in or not. Not getting in will make people be more like "Hey, Rush is an awesome band, they deserve some credit" and people will like them more. So........ yeah, lets stop caring. smile.gif

but i never started. biggrin.gif

I agree with you OP, no one should care. The boys themselves have said it doesn't matter in the slightest to them, why should it matter to us? Especially with the kind of people they are nominating. The whole thing is very clearly a complete joke and at this point I honestly feel it's better for Rush not to be in it.

I never use to care until last sunday when i saw them live for the first time, Van f***ing Halen made it in and the band could not put aside their differences to accept the award. Bunch of s**t

Rush has actually been plugging away for almost 40 yrs and they still rock, and are the best live. They should be recognized, but it wont ever happen so.....

why get me pissed cool.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif

Long live 2.gif

Archived