Everything Your Listeners Ever Wanted to Hear 2010

danielmclark

Which songs should be on the CD?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which songs should be on the CD?

• Show Don't Tell
    • Chain Lightning / The Pass / War Paint / Scars / Hand Over Fist / Superconductor / Anagram / Red Tide
    • Presto
    • Available Light
    • Dreamline
    • Bravado
    • Roll the Bones / Face Up / The Big Wheel / Heresy / Neurotica / You Bet Your Life
    • Ghost of a Chance
    • Animate
    • Stick It Out
    • Cut to the Chase
    • Nobody's Hero
    • Between Sun & Moon / Alien Shore / Double Agent
    • The Speed of Love
    • Cold Fire
    • Everyday Glory
    • Test for Echo
    • Driven
    • Half the World
    • The Color of Right / Time and Motion / Dog Years / Virtuality / Carve Away the Stone
    • Totem
    • Resist
    • One Little Victory
    • Ceiling Unlimited
    • Ghost Rider
    • Peaceable Kingdom / The Stars Look Down / Freeze / Secret Touch / Out of the Cradle
    • How It Is
    • Vapor Trail
    • Earthshine
    • Sweet Miracle
    • Nocturne
    • Far Cry
    • Armor and Sword
    • Workin' Them Angels
    • The Larger Bowl / Spindrift / Good News First / We Hold On
    • The Way the Wind Blows
    • Faithless
    • Bravest Face
    • Caravan
    • BU2B

In 1977, a promo record was put together and sent to radio stations. It was called Everything Your Listeners Ever Wanted to Hear by Rush... But You Were Afraid to Play and you can read more about it at that linked Wikipedia article if you're not familiar with it.

I see no reason why we can't do the same thing in 2010.

We take the top songs from the poll, cut it off at about 80 minutes, and burn the set to CDs. Then we send them to our local radio stations!

Which radio stations... not the Classic Rock stations. They already know about Rush, and they're determined not to play anything after Moving Pictures. I say we target the "alternative" stations. Here in Houston, we've got The Buzz - as does every other market since Clear Channel pretty much owns the world. I see no reason why Rush can't be played on that station. Geddy's voice? They play Smashing Pumpkins, Blink-182 and Silversun Pickups. Not "alternative" enough, too much like metal? They play Metallica regularly.

Now then... since the Classic Rock stations have a lock on everything up to Moving Pictures, this CD has to be everything after Moving Pictures. More than that though, stations like The Buzz won't play anything before the 90's (unless it's during a 80's "flashback" hour or something). They also won't touch any instrumentals. Polls are limited to 40 choices, so I made a few executive decisions and combined some unlikely-to-be-voted-for tracks... sorry. If you vote for any of those tracks, please specify below. Needless to say, I left Feedback off the list. So, that's why the poll looks like it does.

And yes, I honestly believe that in many cases, it's because the people who program stations don't know about the whole of Rush's career. They're considered a classic rock band, while nothing could be further from the truth.

Let's do this.

In That case we should have been able to vote for more than one song!

bumper.gif

I voted for Available Light but would like to add the following:

Caravan

BU2B

Far Cry

Working them Angels MalNar

The War the Wind Blows

MalNAr

Main Monkey Business

Secret Touch

Driven

Test For Echo

Limbo

Stick it Out

Cut to the Chase

Leave that Thing Alone

Cold Fire

Where's My Thing

Ghost of a Chance

Dreamline

Presto

Show Don't Tell

1022.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 27 2010, 11:50 AM)
Yeah... that would be ideal. I don't think the forum software allows for that, though. I think if people say "I voted for X, but I also want to vote for X, Y, Z" that could work.

Way Ahead of ya!

653.gif

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Sep 27 2010, 09:02 PM)
Are radio stations allowed to play music burned from any CD that someone sends them? If so, that would be cool to hear some stuff from Counterparts like Cold Fire or Cut to the Chase on the radio.

No, they'd probably have to acquire the music on their own to actually play it. The sending of the CD is just a statement more than anything.

Archived