Do you talk to your neighbors much?

ReflectedLight

I've had varrying experiences with neighbours... my old apartment was kinda quiet... nobody really talked to anyone... we were all kinda in the same boat.. students or recent grads busting our asses in our careers and really busy all the time. It was downtown in a really friendly neighbourhood but there were also some sketchy things happening so everyone kinda kept to themselves. The only time I had a neighbour really talk to me was after me and my then boyfriend had a bad fight and I guess they heard it and wanted to make sure I was ok... it did get pretty bad. I appreciated their coming over after.

I lived somewhere in the summer and everyone was pretty nice. I didn't really divulge any personal info except that I was here for the summer. But I do remember I ran into a woman at the laundry and she was so nice and polite and then she saw I was in the unit across the hall from her and her attitude towards me COMPLETLY changed. She was then so cold and didn't even say "hi" to me when I saw her in the elevator for the rest of the summer.

Where I live now... it's such a large community full of kids (most who are annoying and misbehaved) the parents kinda talk to the parents. I know the woman who lives across from me because we went to school in elementary school. She now has 2 boys and they are SOOOO LOUD! They are really cute but they never shut up... I never make a complaint but other people in the area have complained about the noise...

yes.gif On one side there's a lovely lady called Pat who we talk to quite often. smile.gif

I don't think I'd trust the guy on the other side though - Purdy used to growl or bark at him when she saw him (which she never did with his wife or with Pat) unsure.gif

And I sometimes wave hi to the couple across the street when I head off on my bike and they're outside. smile.gif

QUOTE (Jaye @ Sep 25 2010, 01:48 PM)
yes.gif On one side there's a lovely lady called Pat who we talk to quite often. smile.gif
I don't think I'd trust the guy on the other side though - Purdy used to growl or bark at him when she saw him (which she never did with his wife or with Pat) unsure.gif
And I sometimes wave hi to the couple across the street when I head off on my bike and they're outside. smile.gif

wave is one thing and is harmless but how bout engaging in conversation more than 1 minute? i notice almost everyone on my block keeps to themselves but is friendly by waving. i'm one of those people, but i'm not the type to stop and bs for 10 or more minutes. most of the time it's because i'm overly tired from work and not in the mood. the other times i just want to escape the city and don't want to stay and bs.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Sep 25 2010, 08:15 PM)
QUOTE (Jaye @ Sep 25 2010, 01:48 PM)

wave is one thing and is harmless but how bout engaging in conversation more than 1 minute? i notice almost everyone on my block keeps to themselves but is friendly by waving. i'm one of those people, but i'm not the type to stop and bs for 10 or more minutes. most of the time it's because i'm overly tired from work and not in the mood. the other times i just want to escape the city and don't want to stay and bs.

I've never had a conversation with the people across the road, no. Just Pat, really... tongue.gif

My house is far enough away from them so they get a wave , maybe i should try harder. Nah

The folks upstairs are not the cleanest folks around and I personally blame them for the mice problem we are currently facing.

You should watch Lifetime sometime. There's always a good movie on about some psycho or weird neighbor.

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Sep 26 2010, 11:38 AM)
i love good neighbors. i don't have a lot of time for them, though.

i like your 10 min rule of thumb, RL. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

oh, and i'm ok to loan/borrow things.

One unwritten rule in the South - it's something I actually like about the culture - is that if you borrow any sort of food container or plate, you don't return it empty. Loan your cake platter to a neighbor for her niece's baby shower, for example, and you will probably get it back with cake on it.

I'm friendly with most of my immediate neighbors, people keep an eye on the other's houses; we're always trading plants and flowers for the gardens and flowerbeds; let the dog out when you work late or go to happy hour, and take the fed ex package if necessary, etc.. one neighbor only works part time and shoveled my sidewalk last winter during "the big snow", another neighbor will always cook too much food and bring it to me, sometimes I come home from work and he will have already let the dog out and dinner will be in the fridge already, my area is not very transient some of the people on my street have been here 30 years or more. It's a good street, dead end with only about 15 houses.

Absolutely.

Funny how you kind of lose touch in the winter, except when everyone's out shoveling. Springtime, people come out of their houses again and resume associations.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Sep 26 2010, 09:26 PM)

Absolutely.

Funny how you kind of lose touch in the winter, except when everyone's out shoveling. Springtime, people come out of their houses again and resume associations.

so true. some neighbors yes, some no. some are.. weird. some never come outside! (weird). the ones that come outside I talk to all the time.

i can tell right away that i have nothing in common with these people. they like the city and i don't. tongue.gif i guess i just need to try and be more neighborly, but some are not helping. like walking your dog and letting him sh*t in front of my residence without picking up, or they pick up and leave the little package on top of my garbage can for me to throw away. angry.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Sep 26 2010, 09:50 PM)
i can tell right away that i have nothing in common with these people. they like the city and i don't. tongue.gif i guess i just need to try and be more neighborly, but some are not helping. like walking your dog and letting him sh*t in front of my residence without picking up, or they pick up and leave the little package on top of my garbage can for me to throw away. angry.gif

I *hate* that.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Sep 26 2010, 11:47 AM)
My house is far enough away from them so they get a wave , maybe i should try harder. Nah

z7shysterical.gif goodpost.gif ^^^ this

OK back in Jersey? the acraws da shtreet naybahs...I luved dems Day wuz transplants frum Bruklinn and yah knew it. Yelled HEY BAWB acraws da shtreet at yers every time day saws yuh and HEY RO at duh wife...kidz got alawng great tew. We all spoke to one another looked out for each other. HELL The one up the street even called the police coz my asshole big brother started in with em ... they asked him not to park at the school bus stop (just to the right of my home) and he started bitching at em. They called the police and said he was a stalker! On the spot I had to ID him as brother and all that stuff he was saying about me? Personal information he was spouting off about me? is that going into your official report?...officer?

Officer: (smiling) I didn't hear him mention anything about you sir.

Me: (gratefully) Officer, thank you very much are we done here?

Officer: We're releasing him into your custody.....which just pissed bro off totally

Here? Just this one family that's owned this tract of land since the depression and you know it. Took YEARS for em to put gutters on the house next door, the one on the other side of me? vacant f*ck MOST of em are vacant and certified Section 8..so they actually COULD be housing people but aren't, and this place used to have such a joyful noise of kids laughing and playing

Us and the dude up the other side of this one time 1/4 mile dirt road/private drive own our homes...or should I say the BANK owns

And we've had enough run ins that

1) Sheriffs know this lil street inside out

2) they don't need the "man" to remind em not to f*ck with us

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Sep 26 2010, 09:26 PM)

Absolutely.

My sister did her Master's Degree at Syracuse, and she wondered if people in that part of the country got stereotyped as "rude and unfriendly" maybe because they were cold? laugh.gif

I mean, when it's -12 out you don't really want to hang on the sidewalk chatting. And any exchanges you DO have are likely to be rather abrupt, as all anyone wants to do is get back inside.

I've been friendly with them throughout the years and learned my lesson new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif . The neighbor next door blabs to everybody and the story grows and grows. I've purposely told her something and 4 neighbors later it comes back to me..almost a different story entirely. So, I avoid her and she still seeks me out eh.gif

The peeps across the street borrow stuff and it never gets returned: like eggs, milk, cake mix, etc. My hubby lent his 10 foot ladder out and one of the neighbors has it and insists they didn't borrow it from us.

It's better to just do our own thing.

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Sep 27 2010, 10:27 AM)

I've been friendly with them throughout the years and learned my lesson  new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif . The neighbor next door blabs to everybody and the story grows and grows. I've purposely told her something and 4 neighbors later it comes back to me..almost a different story entirely. So, I avoid her and she still seeks me out eh.gif

The peeps across the street borrow stuff and it never gets returned: like eggs, milk, cake mix, etc. My hubby lent his 10 foot ladder out and one of the neighbors has it and insists they didn't borrow it from us.

It's better to just do our own thing.

thank you for sharing. laugh.gif

there's always at least 1 gossip person on the block and it's amazing how fast info gets passed along and twisted. the woman above me is very nice and can be trusted but she seems to have the juice on alot of people on the block. 1/2 of it is probably false rumor.

goodfellas "never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut."

Some more than others.

the others are the people I moved away from the City to get away from in the first place - don't even get me started.

Archived