Geddy and Ray

angel in my armor

I think the events being talked about here are from way back in 1969, before the May/June'69 'Hadrian' gigs. So.......a LONG time ago - and less than a year after "Rush" was formed.

The original story (as relayed in Visions) was that "John wanted Geddy out". It seems that MAYBE this was RAY's suggestion...? (as he admits in the dvd extra, he thought that "Geddy wasn't an obvious front-man back then".

So, as a manager, he probably pulled the old "let's tell him the band's breaking up, and then you guys can 're-form' without him" trick.

Don't think there's too much to be made of this, given how long ago it was and how they were all KIDS then. It's probably just something Ray gets teased about at this point. Who knows --- maybe Geddy DID suck in 1969?? But I don't think you go on to have a 40 year working relationship after that if it was still a 'real' problem.

As for Ray as a manager in more general terms............

I don't know the guy and so can't comment on how decent a dude he is. (Hagar is obviously pissed off at him.)

But I'll just introduce a little "benefit of the doubt" for Mr. Danniels with two specific thoughts:

1.) The music/entertainment business is NASTY and cut-throat. I doubt you can guide a 40 year successful career like Rush's without occasionally being the 'bad cop' and making some enemies along the way. Like it or not, SOMEBODY has to be a dick at times, for the sake of "business", and that role typically falls on the MANAGER. An artist's manager is usually the scapegoat in many ways --- first to be blamed when things DON'T work out, and often the last to be THANKED when they DO.

2.) Re: Hagar's assertions about Rush not having enough VIDEO exposure (MTV, etc), let's not forget that a.) Neil has been known to HATE making promo videos and b.) the promo videos they have made have been pretty cheesy (and this was the BAND's artistic vision - i.e. Geddy choosing directors and collaborating on vision/content). I'm just saying - it's probably not totally fair to blame RAY for the band's low visibility on the promo video front. Only so much you can do as a manager when/if the BAND has other ideas/feelings of their own. Ya know??

Just some thoughts...

I'm my personal opinion I do think it was a genuinely uncomfortable "Ray" moment...I guess the question begs whether there are still ill feelings because of it.The comments from Sammy I believe are true..what would he benefit by badmouthing them? .....

We will never no short of cracking a sudsy one with Ged at a ball game.

trink38.gif

Do you mean that it was RAY who wanted Geddy out because he didn't want him in the band @ all & that John had nothing to do with it? Who was jealous of who? Also, while we're on the subject of Ged, any idea what gives with his website? I tried getting into 'My Favorite Headache' & all I got was something not entirely related & it said 'this domain might be up for sale'.

Archived