Fans request to film this tour..

Phantom

Though it's too early to know for sure, I for one am so dissappointed at the thought of this tour not being filmed. I've spoken with tons of fans, all of whom feel the same way... it'd be a shame not to have this tour filmed ( assuming they won't play Moving Pictures in it's entirety on the next tour )

After Pittsburgh, we began discussing whether or not it was too late to try contacting the band (through a fan petition) to see if that might change their mind.

Wondering how many in here would support such a petition at this late stage of the tour....

Because it doesn't represent the image that Neil wants to portray in the permanent medium of film. We know he's wearing them because of an ear infection, other viewers may not know that and assume that he needs a click track in order to play. We know he doesn't, of course, but I can see why he wouldn't want a whole show being recorded with him in the headphones.

(and yes, I remember that previous concert films have showed him with cans on, but it wasn't for the whole show, only a few tracks smile.gif)

It would be nice if someone had some connection to the band, or it's management, to get some official word about the band's intentions.

With only 11 gigs left to go, they must have plans one way or the other at this point....

Pittsburgh would have been the show to do....great show ...great crowd...and no real tech problems that would have ruined anything.

BD mic cleared up at halftime.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 21 2010, 08:33 AM)
We know he's wearing them because of an ear infection, other viewers may not know that and assume that he needs a click track in order to play. We know he doesn't, of course, but I can see why he wouldn't want a whole show being recorded with him in the headphones.

Actually, he DOES need a "click track". All video is synced with the audio. Most every song starts with a tempo beat in Neil's (or Alex's or Geddy's or all 3) headphones/IEMs. If there was no accompanying video, it wouldn't be an issue - he/they could count off & start whenever he/they wanted to. However, that's not the case.

There's a lot more to putting on a great show than most people realize and making sure that everyone starts at the right time is just one aspect of it.

Just had a thought...

Has anything been taped yet at all? Because you may remember, A Show of Hands wasn't all from one night, and if you've seen Kevin Smith's Evening With... DVDs, you can see how multiple nights and even multiple locations can be put together into one awesome package.

You shoot one or two songs, then cut to some fan commentary or exterior shots, then another song or three, and another cut... it could be really entertaining and not just another "here's three hours of looking at the exact same stage with the same 10 camera angles".

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 21 2010, 08:33 AM)
Because it doesn't represent the image that Neil wants to portray in the permanent medium of film. We know he's wearing them because of an ear infection, other viewers may not know that and assume that he needs a click track in order to play. We know he doesn't, of course, but I can see why he wouldn't want a whole show being recorded with him in the headphones.

(and yes, I remember that previous concert films have showed him with cans on, but it wasn't for the whole show, only a few tracks smile.gif)

Do you honestly think that many people are gonna think he needs a click track to play as opposed to thinking that he's doing it to hear himself better?

I think far more people will lean towards hearing himself. I don't think 'click track' will pop into to many people's heads. I know it never has with me.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Sep 21 2010, 03:04 PM)
Do you honestly think that many people are gonna think he needs a click track to play as opposed to thinking that he's doing it to hear himself better?

I think far more people will lean towards hearing himself. I don't think 'click track' will pop into to many people's heads. I know it never has with me.

Neil's monitors allow him to hear many things during the course of the show. As previously mentioned, he hears starting cues through them in order to sync with video. They also enable him the hear his own drumming and during many parts of the show, allow him to hear both Alex & Geddy's guitars at a higher volume - particularly during a few of Alex's solos. There is one technician who does nothing but adjust what Neil hears and at what volume during the show.

Like I said, there's a lot more going on during a performance than just 3 guys up there jamming & having a good time.

Neil already explained that its harder for HIM to play with the earphones on. Something to do with him needing to sometimes guess where the other boys are at as opposed to being able to completely listen to them. common001.gif

QUOTE (Phantom @ Sep 21 2010, 03:16 PM)
Start a petition to request filming one of the last 11 gigs? Y or N?

Nope. It wouldn't help. The band knows we would like a DVD of the tour because we always want a DVD of the tour. Trouble is, shooting a show (or two or three) with the kind of quality that Rush demands isn't something you throw together overnight. These things are planned months in advance, contracts with venues are signed, a crew is hired and equipment is secured and moved into place. With less than a month before the end of the tour, it's unlikely they can get it all together, petition or not.

On the other hand... we know they're playing Brazil again. Maybe they're already planning on recording there again.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 21 2010, 06:34 PM)
On the other hand... we know they're playing Brazil again. Maybe they're already planning on recording there again.

I am willing to bet that will happen

I can't imagine them not releasing a DVD of this tour...

Great point.... the petition likely wouldn't make sense at this point.

I recall reading something about Geddy having regrets about the bands decisioni to release R30 with songs missing from it... with the band having claimed at the time that there were too many songs that were similar from the previous tour.

I really believe that if they don't film this tour, that at some point after the tour ends, the band will indicate regrets for not having done so...

Here's hoping the film in south america....

IMO i think it will get filmed mainly for MP album and the rare songs presto faithless and to be used as a bonus DVD for if they do film a clockwork angels dvd like they did with snakes and arrows live giving us a bonus DVD