Geddy's voice...

MainMonkey

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw them last night and thought Geddy sounded fantastic. He nailed Closer To The Heart.

The only song I thought really posed a challenge for him was "Time Stand Still". He didn't seem overly comfortable with it, and I don't think they ought to keep it in the future. It's a big favorite of mine so I hate saying this, but it just wasn't "there" for me.

QUOTE (Mara @ Sep 30 2010, 09:18 AM)
I saw them last night and thought Geddy sounded fantastic. He nailed Closer To The Heart.
The only song I thought really posed a challenge for him was "Time Stand Still". He didn't seem overly comfortable with it, and I don't think they ought to keep it in the future. It's a big favorite of mine so I hate saying this, but it just wasn't "there" for me.

if he was struggling with time stand still there is absolutely no chance of them playing songs like something for nothing, lessons, or a farewell to kings in the future. sad.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 30 2010, 12:06 PM)
I think he struggles with it because it's early in the set and he hasn't sung it since... I don't remember. Early 90's? How did he do with Spirit of Radio?

TSOR= new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 30 2010, 11:06 AM)
I think he struggles with it because it's early in the set and he hasn't sung it since... I don't remember. Early 90's? How did he do with Spirit of Radio?

Yeah, I think it's because it's early in the set. Also, singing TSOR and TSS back-to-back has got to be tough. If they're going to open with TSOR, they should probably pick some easier vocal song to follow.

When I saw them in Vegas, I thought he struggled just a bit with the first couple of songs, but then he really seemed to settle in and his vocals sounded great the rest of the night.

GeddyFinal.gif

Edited by PariahDog

Last night in Atlanta Geddy's voice was great....I thought the Spirit of Radio was pretty good, Time Stand Still was a little struggle but really only when he sang "Im not looking back but I want to look around me now"....the rest of the night there were like slight little things that were off but nothing that I don't hear at any live performances....BUT..I was incredibly impressed because he hit all of the tough notes starting about half way thorugh thw first set....I never thought i'd hear geddy hit those notes but man he SOUNDED GOOD...and how about Closer To The Heart...THAT WAS PHENOMINAL

QUOTE (worthog @ Sep 30 2010, 02:55 PM)
Last night in Atlanta Geddy's voice was great....I thought the Spirit of Radio was pretty good, Time Stand Still was a little struggle but really only when he sang "Im not looking back but I want to look around me now"....the rest of the night there were like slight little things that were off but nothing that I don't hear at any live performances....BUT..I was incredibly impressed because he hit all of the tough notes starting about half way thorugh thw first set....I never thought i'd hear geddy hit those notes but man he SOUNDED GOOD...and how about Closer To The Heart...THAT WAS PHENOMINAL

for some reason he chooses to sing that part in a higher register when they play it live. He could easily just sing it lower, like it is on the album.

I felt like he struggled with the first two songs and then settled in. It was actually Spirit where I noticed it (just in a spot or two - not really bad, nothing big time noticable). At first I thought oh crap, Geddys voice in sounding a little thin, but he just really settled in .

The nailed freewill. Now that was impressive. I am amazed at how well his voice has hung in there considering what he is being asked to do and how long he has been doing it.

QUOTE (Just an Escape Artist @ Oct 1 2010, 09:00 AM)

I felt like he struggled with the first two songs and then settled in. It was actually Spirit where I noticed it (just in a spot or two - not really bad, nothing big time noticable). At first I thought oh crap, Geddys voice in sounding a little thin, but he just really settled in .

The nailed freewill. Now that was impressive. I am amazed at how well his voice has hung in there considering what he is being asked to do and how long he has been doing it.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Just an Escape Artist @ Oct 1 2010, 09:00 AM)

Not to mention the fact that he really didn't take care of his voice at all until the last 15 or so years. He smoked for years and I'm not really sure when he learned how to sing "properly" so as not to unnecessarily damage his vocal cords.

"Freewill" and CTTH were dead bang-on. I really didn't notice if either song had been significantly downtuned.

QUOTE (Mara @ Oct 1 2010, 10:37 AM)
Not to mention the fact that he really didn't take care of his voice at all until the last 15 or so years. He smoked for years and I'm not really sure when he learned how to sing "properly" so as not to unnecessarily damage his vocal cords.

"Freewill" and CTTH were dead bang-on. I really didn't notice if either song had been significantly downtuned.

Honestly, I wondered if Geddy was a bit under the weather that night. We are between seasons after all.

And no, neither song had its key dropped. The only one they did drop the key on in that set was the piece of 2112.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Oct 1 2010, 10:42 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Oct 1 2010, 10:37 AM)
Not to mention the fact that he really didn't take care of his voice at all until the last 15 or so years.  He smoked for years and I'm not really sure when he learned how to sing "properly" so as not to unnecessarily damage his vocal cords.

"Freewill" and CTTH were dead bang-on.  I really didn't notice if either song had been significantly downtuned.

Honestly, I wondered if Geddy was a bit under the weather that night. We are between seasons after all.

And no, neither song had its key dropped. The only one they did drop the key on in that set was the piece of 2112.

Even more impressive.

I thought he sounded better than two years ago. Of course, the last time they were in Atlanta it was at the tail-end of two long back-to-back tours. A missed or cracked high note here and there is totally forgiveable, almost expected, after those sorts of demands.

He sounded great in Atlanta. I'm sure at the beginning of the tour he wasn't as "into" it, I mean, watch they're Albuquerque performance, then watch stuff from Tampa. As the tour goes on, they get better and better, so I guess it depends on what you've heard and seen.

I do know that he said in an interview that they wanted to pull out "Farewell To Kings" for the S&A Tour, but he just couldn't sing it. I'm so glad 2112 didn't suffer the same fate!

Your right, he is getting older and will eventually lose his voice, but I think we've still got plenty of time before that happens.

Like many have said, I think he has sounded great throughout this tour. Totally blown away by Freewill on the Chicago rain date. "Each of us....a cell of awareness...." Just, WOW, for a 57 year old rock vocalist.

He seems to be well aware of his aging pipes and is managing that aging process very well imho.

Great job Geddy!! trink39.gif

I notice people use the Freewill "cell of awareness" bit a lot to describe how Geddy can still hit high notes. Yes it is impressive, but this is a tiny part of the song that lasts mere seconds. It's the songs where he has to sustain his voice in a higher register where his voice suffers.

So sick of people nitpicking about Ged's voice. Cut the guy some slack, he's no spring chicken anymore! I honestly thinks he sounds better now than he did on S&A tour. Sure he's not gonna sound like he did 20 years ago, but I don't expect him too. I'm just glad they're still out there touring and putting bands half their age to shame! Give the Geddy's voice discussion a rest already! beathorse.gif

QUOTE (Oziumrules @ Oct 4 2010, 07:25 PM)
Can anyone name one singer still touring that has sung more songs than Geddy Lee? Cut the guy some slack. We as Rush fans are blessed to have these guys touring after 36+ years. Geddys voice sounds fine to me.

goodpost.gif Basically what I said too. trink39.gif

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Oct 4 2010, 08:28 PM)
Dio. (52 years in the music buisness, unfortunately cut short)
Glenn Hughes. (Sometime in the 70's, DP singer)
Ian Gillian
David Coverdale.
Tony Martin.

Dude, I saw Whitesnake open for Priest last summer and Coverdale was HORRENDOUS! The audience sang most of the songs because it was obvious that he couldn't cut it anymore. 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Oct 4 2010, 08:02 PM)
QUOTE (Oziumrules @ Oct 4 2010, 07:25 PM)
Can anyone name one singer still touring that has sung more songs than Geddy Lee? Cut the guy some slack. We as Rush fans are blessed to have these guys touring after 36+ years. Geddys voice sounds fine to me.

goodpost.gif Basically what I said too. trink39.gif

Exactly what I was thinking - now for the love of all things both God & Rush, will everyone leave the man alone & cut him some slack!