Geddy's voice...

MainMonkey

QUOTE (Babycat @ Sep 19 2010, 01:36 AM)
I'm being honest here, but I'm scared that the band will have to give up writing new songs, rehearsing & touring, & eventually split up. Is that going to happen? I'm literally scared stiff about them splitting up, having heard rumors like that since Neil's unfortunate twin tragedies. Such rumors have persisted as far back as the 1980's. I realize Geddy's voice literally can't go on forever. Whose can? I saw on another posting somewhere that one of their records could be the last one - is that true? Are Rush on the verge of splitting up?

Its silly to think that. They just need to adjust to him, as they have been doing for decades now, first done with PeW. He is singing at a low pitch on the new songs, and it sounds fine to me since its within his current range, it's better than listening to him try to hit notes he can't comfortably hit. All of their recent live recordings are so painful for me to listen to, he struggles to sing many of those songs they wrote after he lowered his pitch in the 80s. Listening to Limelight is just a nightmare for me, they need to drop the key of that one too at this point.

I'm a huge fan of his voice in the 70s, I love that high pitch power singing, it gets my blood flowing and fires me up, but he's an old man now, so all you can do is adjust to what you can do, and he's doing that.

In another 5 years if they want to make another album, if he needs to lower it even more, then just do it. Nothing worse than listening to a singer struggle.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You want to hear the studio version of 'freewill' - there's a section in there that's incredibly high pitched 'each of us/a cell of awareness/imperfect and incomplete/genetic blends/with uncertain ends/on a fortune hunt/that's far too fleet'. Absolutely amazing but notoriously difficult to maintain even by live standards. Still, God bless Ged, the God of legends.

I think it would help if Howard would turn Ged's mic down a bit. I noticed in Wichita and especially Tulsa (KC was hard to judge because it was otudoors) that Geds voice was MUCH louder than the rest of the band. Maybe more so in Tulsa than Wichita. The instruments and drums were mixed really well, but Ged's voice - even during the stuff he doesn't have trouble with like Caravan or Far Cry, seemed TOO loud to me. Now, that being said - I'd seem 'em tomorrow if I could. Don't read anyhting into it that I'm NOT saying. Still love 2.gif - still going to buy future music AND tickets....just turn him down a tad for the shows, that's all. I think it would help.

QUOTE (ChiliFan @ Sep 13 2010, 03:52 AM)
I think it's not so much his voice going, as his voice becoming less reliable. He can still hit the notes perfectly on a good day, but he has more off-days than in the past.

Doesn't make him any less enjoyable to listen to though!

Dead Solid Perfect.

I just love the soul and emotion in Geddy's voice these days. To me, that makes up for a lot of technical imperfections. I think he does a great job of using the voice that he has now to deliver the songs in a convincing and meaningful way.

Geddy had an unpublicized nose job in the early eighties, which definately effects the voice. I skipped a few pages of these threads--has anyone even mentioned this? C'mon you Rushophiles! There are even bigger Rush Heads on here than me--did none of you know this???

QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ Sep 24 2010, 02:22 AM)
Geddy had an unpublicized nose job in the early eighties, which definately effects the voice. I skipped a few pages of these threads--has anyone even mentioned this? C'mon you Rushophiles! There are even bigger Rush Heads on here than me--did none of you know this???

It would probably affect the sinus area and breathing but the voice is controlled in the larynx, and with age the vocal chords loosen. I don't know that a nose job would affect a voice so much as breathing.

Edited by FoxxiStarr

Yeah his voice has shown some age. I personally think he should be singing in a lower register now. Geddy has an awesome voice . I think it sounds even better when he isnt trying to sing super high. He doesnt really need to. I think he does that for the hard core fans from the 70`s. The hard core fans from the 70`s....in which i am one, i could care less if he sings super high. I just like good vocals . I think at this point, the tamer he uses it, the better it sounds . The musician ship is absolutely amazing so if he sounds better singing without stretching his voice.....So be it. Just my oppinion.... please dont start wars over it. Peace out!

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Sep 24 2010, 12:56 PM)
Geddy sounds fine to me. It might be more noticeable listening back to a live recording now, but when I'm there in the moment and singing along, I don't care.

Yeah thats usually the case. The only time I ever cared about his voice live was my very first show during the PoW tour, I was 9 years old. I had already loved them since I was 6, and he was VERY bad that night, and it really bothered me. I was very disappointed.

When I saw them for VT and S&A, I didnt think he sounded great, but I didnt care either. Actually when I go back and watch those live recordings, he sounds far worse than I remember. When you're at a show it's easy to ignore it, but if you focus on it just watching a DVD, well then it's almost cringe worthy.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Sep 24 2010, 09:40 AM)
QUOTE (bigalfan @ Sep 23 2010, 06:47 PM)
I think it would help if Howard would turn Ged's mic down a bit.

Howard runs the lights.

Aaaaahhhh, that's right! Sorry. Then, the sound board guy....uuuhhhh, Bob Soundboard. Yeah, that's it - Mr. Bob Soundboard!

Howard runs the lights.

BTW - NICE COVER on Hemispheres!! Well done!!

QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ Sep 23 2010, 09:22 PM)

is this a joke? Geddy never had a nose job, right?

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Sep 24 2010, 04:14 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ Sep 23 2010, 09:22 PM)

is this a joke? Geddy never had a nose job, right?

Yeah, he had a nose job whose purpose was to surically replace his nose with an exact duplicate.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Sep 24 2010, 09:26 PM)
http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/theampersand/Geddy_studio.jpg

http://th03.deviantart.net/fs48/PRE/f/2009/225/4/a/Geddy_Lee_Charcoal_by_caligoamplexus963.jpg

He had a nose job? Well they did a shit job of it, it looks exactly the same? lol

I was at the dallas show, his voice sounded great. My buddy who saw them on the s@a tour even said he sounded better now. Closer to the Heart Blew me away, his voice sounded fresh and much like the record. I did a show review earlier today, it is rare for ANY rock front man to nail the right notes every time.

Long live the kings 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (bigalfan @ Sep 24 2010, 03:04 PM)

Howard runs the lights.

BTW - NICE COVER on Hemispheres!! Well done!!

Thanks !!

Working on some new ones lately. Should be pretty good.

Hopefully have a few more by the end of the year.