Geddy's voice...

MainMonkey

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And even then he didn't sound like no spring chicken.

It seems like to me, Natty Sci on Different Stages, and the one on S&A L, they have a different sound (vocally speaking), Geddy uses less Vibrato on the DS version, which takes away from it, IMO. I like his return to 80's vibrato better.

Unfortunately a con to that is control, which he doesn't have much of. :/

I'm being honest here, but I'm scared that the band will have to give up writing new songs, rehearsing & touring, & eventually split up. Is that going to happen? I'm literally scared stiff about them splitting up, having heard rumors like that since Neil's unfortunate twin tragedies. Such rumors have persisted as far back as the 1980's. I realize Geddy's voice literally can't go on forever. Whose can? I saw on another posting somewhere that one of their records could be the last one - is that true? Are Rush on the verge of splitting up?

QUOTE (Babycat @ Sep 19 2010, 06:36 AM)
I'm being honest here, but I'm scared that the band will have to give up writing new songs, rehearsing & touring, & eventually split up. Is that going to happen? I'm literally scared stiff about them splitting up, having heard rumors like that since Neil's unfortunate twin tragedies. Such rumors have persisted as far back as the 1980's. I realize Geddy's voice literally can't go on forever. Whose can? I saw on another posting somewhere that one of their records could be the last one - is that true? Are Rush on the verge of splitting up?

If they split ( and it wont be any time soon) it won't be because of Ged's voice. I think it sounds fantastic WITH some age on it now.

QUOTE (MainMonkey @ Sep 12 2010, 09:17 AM)
Sorry if this has been discussed. I searched and didn't see anything. I might take some lumps for saying this but it sounds to me like Ged's voice is tremendously weakened this tour. I've noticed in listening to some shows on this tour his voice cracks alot. Believe me, i'm not bashing the man. He's out there giving all he has as all three are. I just think all of these years of singing live and trying to hit high notes is finally catching up. It really saddens me to say this because I believe they'd tour into there 70's if they could put on a Rush caliber show. IMO Geddy Lee's voice just won't allow it to go on much longer. Again I'm not trying to trash the man. We all get old.

I don't know but in Bristow VA last night he was hittin' the high ones..

I think it's just a case of age getting to everyone, no matter who it is. Can Rush still tour in a decade's time when they get into their 70's? While being realistic, what about the decade after that? In any case, us fans will somehow know if & when the band will still want to perform. We know they know what they're doing, so let's just continue to support them as best we can.

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Sep 19 2010, 01:20 AM)
Listen to Natural Science on Different Stages (1997) and on S&A Live (2007). His voice changed quite a bit in only 10 years.

"only" 10 years? form his late 40 to his late 50s? thats an eternity in trying to sing that kind of music.

QUOTE (vintonalan @ Sep 19 2010, 04:30 PM)
QUOTE (MainMonkey @ Sep 12 2010, 09:17 AM)
Sorry if this has been discussed. I searched and didn't see anything. I might take some lumps for saying this but it sounds to me like Ged's voice is tremendously weakened this tour. I've noticed in listening to some shows on this tour his voice cracks alot. Believe me, i'm not bashing the man. He's out there giving all he has as all three are. I just think all of these years of singing live and trying to hit high notes is finally catching up. It really saddens me to say this because I believe they'd tour into there 70's if they could put on a Rush caliber show. IMO Geddy Lee's voice just won't allow it to go on much longer. Again I'm not trying to trash the man. We all get old.

I don't know but in Bristow VA last night he was hittin' the high ones..

I was at the VA show as well and thought his voice sounded pretty rough.

he's still really good. I sensed the "big change", myself, on Vapor Trails and beyond...but the aging of the voice is absolutely wonderful.

I didn't really like that voice in 1974.

Now it is as sweet as candy.

Alex also has a certain type of quality to his voice, even if he does have spoken work on his solo disc 'victor' from 1996. Do you remember 'a show of hands' & it was during 'la villa strangiato' & it got to the part when his voice was completely blocked out, complete with radiation signs & apologies? Still cracks me up, even though I've never worked out what he was supposed to have said. Or sung. Rumor was it was quite rude & neil said it was nothing but ' la la la' etc. But alex obviously came up with something. Does anyone know lip-reading? I sure would like to know those exact words. laugh.gif biggrin.gif

Actually there's two from both alex & geddy that I absolutely love - two versions of 'closer to the heart'. The first one was from 'a show of hands' with alex pin-wheeling on his Signature towards the end, & the second one was when alex made really weird sounds, geddy started screaming & added 'did you get all that?!' I've no idea where THAT one came from but it's not on youtube as I've tried all the videos related to that version. wub.gif

I remember seeing Boston, and Brad couldn't high the high notes anymore. He pointed to the new guy that was touring with them (forget the guy's name) to hit the high ones, and Brad sang the rest. Was very funny to watch

I just saw the Boston show. The last time I saw them live was on the GUP tour. Last year I saw Sabbath fronted by Ronnie James Dio (his 2nd to last show ever) and I remember thinking that his voice had lost a lot of its power. To be honest, I didn't notice that about Geddy's at all. In fact, I was pretty amazed that after 26 years, their performace skills had not diminshed.