How would Alex sound with VH tone?

ReflectedLight

Nah. Alex plays tons of rhythm guitar; so him using Van Halen's tone, "The Brown Sound" as it's called, would result in a sort of muddy mess. It's perfect for fat leads like Eddie can pull off. Personally, a tone that i'd like to see Alex play with is Pete Townshend's Live At Leeds tone:

Example:

QUOTE (Ted Barchetta @ Sep 11 2010, 07:50 PM)
Nah. Alex plays tons of rhythm guitar; so him using Van Halen's tone, "The Brown Sound" as it's called, would result in a sort of muddy mess. It's perfect for fat leads like Eddie can pull off. Personally, a tone that i'd like to see Alex play with is Pete Townshend's Live At Leeds tone:

Example: The Who - Heaven And Hell (Live at Leeds)

that townsend tone would work well with him. maybe vh's tone is too much distortion for the type of style he plays but i know alex has said he likes the eddie's marshall stacks.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Sep 11 2010, 07:59 PM)
QUOTE (Ted Barchetta @ Sep 11 2010, 07:50 PM)
Personally, a tone that i'd like to see Alex play with is Pete Townshend's Live At Leeds tone:

Example:  The Who - Heaven And Hell (Live at Leeds)

Pete and Alex are both soundscape makers, and focus a lot more on that than on flashy solos. This was true of Alex even before he took the solo hiatus on VT. I think it's a huge part of why they're both unacceptably underrated.

There's a reason that Geddy and Neil have room to play and most rock rhythm sections are reduced to supporting the lead guitar. That's not a slight against EVH- what he does he does VERY well- but what Alex does requires more than just chops, and finding the proper tone to support the music is a lot of what Alex does so well.

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Sep 12 2010, 11:35 AM)
There's a reason that Geddy and Neil have room to play and most rock rhythm sections are reduced to supporting the lead guitar. That's not a slight against EVH- what he does he does VERY well- but what Alex does requires more than just chops, and finding the proper tone to support the music is a lot of what Alex does so well.

i guess so but once in a while i wouldn't mind alex saying what the hell, max out the amp, and just go all over the place.

QUOTE (Ted Barchetta @ Sep 11 2010, 05:50 PM)

Example: The Who - Heaven And Hell (Live at Leeds)

goodpost.gif

Archived