Wow. Old memories.

Mara

I'm doing a search right now at work, using MS Streets & Trips maps, Google Earth, etc.

One search landed smack in the middle of the small town where my grandparents lived while I was growing up. (Grandma is still alive and doing great - lives with my mom about a mile away).

So out of curiosity I zoomed in on where I remembered their house to be. It's still there, on Jordan Street. So is the small rental home they built at the back of the property. My sister and I spent many, many an hour playing in the backyard, gardens and trees they had.

I was not prepared at all for the wave of emotion that washed over me. My eyes teared and I got a lump in my throat. Wow. Never thought I would get all emotional about the past.

I know the feeling. Not long ago, I 'went to' Leeds on Google Maps. Saw our old house and street, Kirkstall Abbey, my nan's and aunt's houses (well, they used to be, they both died a few years back)...

I just wish I could go into the woods at the back of our house...

*sniff*

QUOTE (Jaye @ Sep 7 2010, 01:44 PM)
I know the feeling. Not long ago, I 'went to' Leeds on Google Maps. Saw our old house and street, Kirkstall Abbey, my nan's and aunt's houses (well, they used to be, they both died a few years back)...
I just wish I could go into the woods at the back of our house...
*sniff*

i *snifffed* too when I google earthed my old home in NJ. Still there, mind you...but in MY mind it'll always have the overgrown unwieldly hedges in the back yard on a too steep incline to trim. Old growth massive trees where we'd tie Sandy out for her to get fresh air..a dobie she was a redhead and always a happy girl. The screened in side porch where we'd sit and talk about the day whilst partaking of nature..lol wink.gif The peach rosebush I'd planted by the side door and the rhododendrons in front, the park right alongside our yard which acted as an extended side yard of ours, maintained by the city of East Brunswick NJ...

and a happy young family lived in the house with one son, and lots of dreams...

Yeah, I get that feeling whenever I come home.

I've only lived in 4 places, and one we moved out when I was about 1.

But the second place is right just about 300 feet away from me....and my brother lives right across the street from me with his family (same townhouse my best friend lived in). It's a sort of apartment complex with townhouses, we lived in a townhouse, I'm in an apartment now, and my brother has another townhouse.

It's wild, especially watching my niece and nephew play in the same areas I did back then

my parents still live in the third place (only house so far), so I go there often (which is also just down the road from the first place, another apartment complex)

Even though we moved out of here when I was 7, I still look out and have all sorts of memories, and the woods across the street that we built a fort in (some of the wood remains there too), and the hill right at the end of the road where we would sled down. and ruins of the old world war II ordnance works (this place was built on the land, an interesting history)

really, no one in my family has really moved anywhere, so I go back the the places I remember when I visit them.

I kind of have this fond dream of buying the house I grew up in someday. Of course, the house my parents bought in '73 for $55K last sold five years ago, for $450K. b_sigh.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Sep 7 2010, 09:46 PM)
I kind of have this fond dream of buying the house I grew up in someday. Of course, the house my parents bought in '73 for $55K last sold five years ago, for $450K. b_sigh.gif

I hear ya sister. That home in E Brunsiwck? I sold it 11 yrs ago for $147k..

they want $350k, and the only thing left behind is the park next door. Everything else they ruined, dug up or put a deck in.

What a waste of space!

I just came back from my grandparents farm, which my uncle owns now. I

spent so many summer vacations up there, and have so many great memories. We used to play in the barns and pick berries and vegetables and help out in the kitchen and get into trouble teasing my uncles(they ran the farm when my grandparents got too old), who weren't much older than me.

I'd love to live up there(The U.P. of Michigan) but it's just not feasible.

Yeah... I'm not an ultimately nostalgic guy, but my brother-in-law turned up with pics of our old house on his trip to Anchorage, Alaska. I thought, "What the hell did they do to the place?" It was in "the projects" in Thunderbird Terrace (know where that's at, troutman?) Painted a standard 1990's tan, and jacked up to add a bottom floor.

In 1972, it was green and had a '62 Mercury parked out front. Kids all over the street. It was so fun.

I heard about people finder sites when I watched Rachel Ray on Monday.

It's scary the stuff people can find out about you.

If you're famous, people can find out where you live. Even if you're not.

But you have the option of removing your name from those sites.

Do it sooner, rather than later. IMO

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Sep 8 2010, 07:45 AM)
My grandparents home was recently demolished two weeks ago. sad.gif

yeah, my grandparents house was demolished and a much larger house built in it's place.

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Sep 8 2010, 07:45 AM)
My grandparents home was recently demolished two weeks ago. sad.gif

The original '70's Palace was demolished last summer... for an exit ramp.

Have to say, I live about 17-ish miles from the house that I grew up in. My teenage years were crap, so every time I drive by and see that place (a 2-3 times a year, usually, because I avoid it like the plague!) it makes me sick. But, I didn't have your semi "normal" childhood. My mother had psychological problems, and I got caught in the middle. wacko.gif

Oh, but, I is normal...promise! wacko.gif unsure.gif cool.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (Rushchick10 @ Sep 9 2010, 02:56 AM)
Have to say, I live about 17-ish miles from the house that I grew up in. My teenage years were crap, so every time I drive by and see that place (a 2-3 times a year, usually, because I avoid it like the plague!) it makes me sick. But, I didn't have your semi "normal" childhood. My mother had psychological problems, and I got caught in the middle. wacko.gif

Oh, but, I is normal...promise! wacko.gif unsure.gif cool.gif tongue.gif

my boyfriend has similar feelings about his childhood home.

QUOTE (Mara @ Sep 7 2010, 06:46 PM)
I kind of have this fond dream of buying the house I grew up in someday.  Of course, the house my parents bought in '73 for $55K last sold five years ago, for $450K.  b_sigh.gif

laugh.gif my 'rents still own the house i grew up in yes.gif

when i visit, i'm appalled at how small it has gotten over the years.

i have to bend over to wash my hands in the bathroom sink, when i remember opening the cabinets below so i could get a step-up.

5 bedrooms in a cul-de-sac in scottsdale. drool1.gif

i don't know how much they paid for it, but they moved in in 1967 or 1968.

when i was in my 20's, i remember my mom telling me they had 3 payments left...$150 each. ohmy.gif

i think 1 bedroom appts were renting for about $750 at the time laugh.gif

Archived