Mole(s) in the yard

Tom Sawyer

Tried smoke bombs - didn't work rage.gif

Tried poison pellets - didn't work rage.gif

Tried a mixtue of cayenne pepper/castor oil/soap - no luck! rage.gif

Tried stabbing into a throbbing mound with a spade - got nothing! rage.gif

rage.gif

If city ordinace didn't prohibit the discharge of firearms... I'd take my 12 guage and a box of birdshot cartridges out there and waffen093.gif to KINGDOM COME

rage.gif !!!!

On the other hand... maybe I'll open a miniture golf course!! confused13.gif

We have a horrible probably with moles too. It's an on-going battle. Either we have zombie moles or new families keep moving in all the time. Of course, it doesn't help matters that we live right next to a wetland. We use Mole Bombs. They worked for a short while but once the gas smell is gone, the moles come back. I found THIS ARTICLE by WSU to be helpful. It tells why most methods fail when trying to get rid of moles.

What I do I occasionally open up a mound and drop another bomb in there. Once the tunnels have been dug, new moles will use them so you have this continuous problem. Seems like once you have them, you have them for life. I've seen coyotes dig in fresh mounds. Maybe I'll get a vicious mole killing dog to keep the population down.

Get a West Highland White terrier. Or borrow one. My mom has one, and Fergus's mole-kill tally is out of sight. Of course his methods aren't particularly tidy, but they are deadly.

The trick to getting rid of moles is getting rid of the reason they're there in the first place -- in many cases, it's grubs. Spring and fall is when Japanese Beetle larvae, or grubs, are hanging out in lawns and chewing on your grass' roots. If you have isolated dead spots in your lawn where the dead grass comes up easily in your hand, you have grubs. And moles go to town on them.

If you don't care about using harsh chemicals, spread on some Grub-X or other lawn treatment. Or, there are natural alternatives -- beneficial organisms like milky spores or nematodes that you can apply, and they're natural predators of the grub.

QUOTE (Janie @ Sep 2 2010, 01:08 PM)
We have a horrible probably with moles too. It's an on-going battle. Either we have zombie moles or new families keep moving in all the time. Of course, it doesn't help matters that we live right next to a wetland. We use Mole Bombs. They worked for a short while but once the gas smell is gone, the moles come back. I found THIS ARTICLE by WSU to be helpful. It tells why most methods fail when trying to get rid of moles.

What I do I occasionally open up a mound and drop another bomb in there. Once the tunnels have been dug, new moles will use them so you have this continuous problem. Seems like once you have them, you have them for life. I've seen coyotes dig in fresh mounds. Maybe I'll get a vicious mole killing dog to keep the population down.

Interesting, thanks!

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 2 2010, 02:13 PM)
The trick to getting rid of moles is getting rid of the reason they're there in the first place -- in many cases, it's grubs. Spring and fall is when Japanese Beetle larvae, or grubs, are hanging out in lawns and chewing on your grass' roots. If you have isolated dead spots in your lawn where the dead grass comes up easily in your hand, you have grubs. And moles go to town on them.

If you don't care about using harsh chemicals, spread on some Grub-X or other lawn treatment. Or, there are natural alternatives -- beneficial organisms like milky spores or nematodes that you can apply, and they're natural predators of the grub.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking ... serious pesticidation is next. Cut off the food supply!

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 2 2010, 04:13 PM)

Milky spores, that's what I used. Worked like a charm. Home Depot sells them.

Re: explosives - when in doubt, C4.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 2 2010, 04:58 PM)

Mole mounds are a pain in the butt... I can't imagine a massive crater in the ground left by explosives would look much prettier.

HOWEVER...

I have been wanting to put a pool in the backyard. Could kill two birds with one stone with this idea.

Good idea.

The guy at Ace last night (has to exch the spare bbq tank) said it's a bad year for moles (maybe good for them.. bad for us) he suggested these rubbery poison worms they sell... $12 for a pkg of 3 ohmy.gif ... I don't think so!!

QUOTE (Tom Sawyer @ Sep 3 2010, 01:19 PM)

Good idea.

The guy at Ace last night (has to exch the spare bbq tank) said it's a bad year for moles (maybe good for them.. bad for us) he suggested these rubbery poison worms they sell... $12 for a pkg of 3 ohmy.gif ... I don't think so!!

A landscaper once told me that the best way to kill them was to find their main burrow, scoop the top off with a garden tool or small spade, and drop some chocolate Ex-Lax down in it. The mole will find and eat it and it will kill it as it will make him poop so much he dies of dehydration. I opted for the milky spores instead since it's a more permanent solution, but it might be a good cheap option for you should you be looking to save as much money as you can.

For what it's worth, moles are a sign that you have a healthy lawn. I know it's a bummer way to find out, but it's true.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 3 2010, 05:11 PM)
For what it's worth, moles are a sign that you have a healthy lawn. I know it's a bummer way to find out, but it's true.

Then I'll never have to worry about moles. I don't water the yard and it's about 40% weeds. Or, would that be "natural" vegetation?

icon_really_happy_guy.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 3 2010, 03:11 PM)
QUOTE (Tom Sawyer @ Sep 3 2010, 01:19 PM)

Good idea.

A landscaper once told me that the best way to kill them was to find their main burrow, scoop the top off with a garden tool or small spade, and drop some chocolate Ex-Lax down in it. The mole will find and eat it and it will kill it as it will make him poop so much he dies of dehydration. I opted for the milky spores instead since it's a more permanent solution, but it might be a good cheap option for you should you be looking to save as much money as you can.

Read the above article I had a link too. The professionals say moles won't touch ex-lax. So that theory is out of the picture.

What I hate most about having moles, is that, even when you do manage to kill them, you're left with a yard that looks like an abandoned minefield.

Archived