The Green Bay Packers Thread

Principled Man

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jan 17 2011, 09:27 AM)
It's not that the secret to success is running the ball.  The secret is to control the ball.  Marching down the field and scoring in just three plays doesn't give your defense time to get some rest, and what ends up happening is that by the end of the game, the team that has scored quickly with big plays has a winded defense.  What the Patriots do and other teams have tried to copy is, to have a short passing game.  Then you still have long sustained drives.  Nothing drives a dagger through the heart of a team like an 80 yard drive that eats up 8 minutes off of the clock.  If you can having a couple of those types of drives in a game, you are just going to burn out your opponents defense.  Then at the end of the game, your opponent's defense is going to have very little in the tank. 

Now, in order to have a short passing game that will allow for long sustained drives, you have to have a very accurate passer who possesses a high completion percentage.  That is why Brady, who doesn't have the strongest arm, but is deadly accurate, is perfect for the Patriot's system.

ETA...Also, if you can't run the ball, that makes your team predictable and it also takes away the play action pass.  If you can't successfully run the ball, then teams can stay in the nickle package and put extra defenders in the secondary, making it harder to pass.

Agree 100%.

Brady and the Patriots went up to Minnesota in 2006 and passed the ball 43 times. His running backs ran the ball 13 times. Patriots won, 31-7.

As for the Packers, they can pass the ball all game long, but their play calling has killed them in many games. Too often this past year, 3rd and 1 comes along, and they look to throw deep. That's not controlling the ball. That's not sustaining drives. That's going for the Home Run, and it doesn't work often enough to help win games consistantly.

Thankfully, the Packers went against their desire to go deep this past Saturday night. Their many long drives exhausted the Falcon defense. They ran the ball with not-so-great success, but they still ran it just to keep setting up the play-action....and it worked like a dream. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I believe this is only the second time that the two teams have met in the playoffs. A classic black and blue division match up. Obviously the Packers have the better passing game. But I will go with the Bears. I can't wait to watch the game with the history between the two teams. And the best part, it's going to be played outside! 1022.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Jan 17 2011, 05:50 PM)
I believe this is only the second time that the two teams have met in the playoffs. A classic black and blue division match up. Obviously the Packers have the better passing game. But I will go with the Bears. I can't wait to watch the game with the history between the two teams. And the best part, it's going to be played outside! 1022.gif

If Cutler doesn't have a melt down and forgets to only throw to the players wearing blue and orange, I like the Bears chances. The Bears have one of the best rush defenses in the league, and the Packers are not good at running the ball. This is going to cause the Packers to become one dimensional. Now, the Packers have one hell of a passing game, but if Peppers, Israel Idonije, and Tommie Harris can generate a decent rush, I think the Packers will have a long day. The first time the Bears played the Packers this season, that was the case..and the second time, the Packers could only get 10 points on the board.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jan 18 2011, 01:51 PM)
Now, the Packers have one hell of a passing game, but if Peppers, Israel Idonije, and Tommie Harris can generate a decent rush, I think the Packers will have a long day.  The first time the Bears played the Packers this season, that was the case..and the second time, the Packers could only get 10 points on the board.

In the September game at Chicago, Rodgers had 316 yards passing, 2 total TD's, 1 INT. Zero sacks. The Packers outplayed da Bears, but their sloppiness cost them the game. In the December game at Lambeau, both defenses were dominant, but Rodgers made the play when he needed it in the 4th quarter. Bears sacked him twice. Cutler got sacked 6 times.

The game will be a War. This Packer fan is optimistic yet cautious. Strange things always seem to happen when the Packers and Bears play each other.

I am making ZERO predictions..... no.gif no.gif no.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Jan 18 2011, 02:34 PM)
I am making ZERO predictions..... no.gif no.gif no.gif

Smart - very smart. I am doing the same. One key injury, one key turnover could mean the game. If Rodgers plays anything like he did on Sat, and the team follows along, should be no contest. But new week, new place, new team means anything can and usually does when these 2 meet

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jan 18 2011, 04:01 PM)
But new week, new place, new team means anything can and usually does when these 2 meet

Ya got that right. yes.gif

Everyone is jumping on the Rodgers Bandwagon, and a lot of them will be expecting the same fireworks that they saw in Atlanta. They may be disappointed. Better defense this week. Less than ideal (but not impossible) field conditions..... ohmy.gif

And, most importantly, will the Packer staff gameplan differently? Probably. I don't think they'll be running the exact same scheme that they ran on the friendly turf of Atlanta....but you never know..!!! wink.gif

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jan 18 2011, 02:53 PM)
One thing we can all cheer for....

http://nfcnnastynice.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/vikings-superbowl-trophy-case1.jpg

rofl3.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jan 18 2011, 07:37 PM)
Green Bay will own the Bears hard.........just wait and see.......

What's different about this game than the fist two against the Bears? The Packers lost the first game and only won the second by a TD?

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jan 19 2011, 01:01 PM)
What's the difference between Soldier Field and a porcupine?

A: A porcupine has pricks on the outside!

That joke also works using a BMW instead of soldier field too. wink.gif

Mama bear and papa bear are getting a divorce. The judge asks baby bear, "who do you want to live with?"

Baby bear says, " I don't want to live with mama bear. She beats me"

Judge says, "Okay, so you want to live with papa bear?"

Baby bear says, "No, he beats me too!"

Judge (frustrated at this point), "Well then, who do you want to live with?"

Baby bear, "I want to live with the Chicago Bears! They never beat anybody"