The Green Bay Packers Thread

Principled Man

Packers and Patriots (among others) only have a main thread... is it because they are consistently good, and don't need to re-focus every year?

Yes.

:haz: :haz: :haz:

That is cool.

My dad has a piece of luggage from Lombardi in his basement. Wonder how much that is worth?

My Grandfather did a lot of different things and was friends with Lombardi and, interestingly enough, Ralph Capone too. My dad has the suitcase, which has "Lombardi" on the name plate and some Packers identifiers on it. He also has a small still that Ralph Capone apparently owned and gave to my grandfather.

• Like 1

That is cool.

My dad has a piece of luggage from Lombardi in his basement. Wonder how much that is worth?

My Grandfather did a lot of different things and was friends with Lombardi and, interestingly enough, Ralph Capone too. My dad has the suitcase, which has "Lombardi" on the name plate and some Packers identifiers on it. He also has a small still that Ralph Capone apparently owned and gave to my grandfather.

Seriously?

Thats awesome!! :haz: I would have it appraised just out of curiosity. :D

BTW, maybe you can post a photo of it. I am dying to see it.

Edited by troutman

Why do so many teams have a yearly thread? Packers and Patriots (among others) only have a main thread... is it because they are consistently good, and don't need to re-focus every year?

I created a new SAINTS thread in 2010 after we won the Super Bowl! :nya nya:

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/55401-the-offical-new-orleans-saints-2010-thread/page__hl__%2Bsaints+%2B2010

Meanwhile...

Brandon Bostick indicates Packers have parted ways with him

Posted by Mike Wilkening on February 16, 2015, 2:47 PM EST

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptnjmta4mjc0owuyzgiwmjyyn2fmyzk1owe2mjziztyy-e1409773217646.jpeg?w=221

Via his verified Twitter account, Packers tight end Brandon Bostick indicated Monday the club was parting ways with him.

“Thankful To Spend The First 3 Years Of My Career In GB,” Bostick wrote. “Unfortunately My Time There Has Ended.”

The 25-year-old Bostick hauled in nine passes for 123 yards and two TDs over two seasons with Green Bay (2013-2014). Regrettably, he is best known for mishandling an onside kick in the Packers’ NFC title-game loss at Seattle in January.

In his announcement, Bostick said he was thankful for Green Bay’s support.

If released, Bostick will be subject to waivers.

Brandon Bostick heading to Minnesota after Packers cut him

Posted by Darin Gantt on February 18, 2015, 5:03 PM EST

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpte2mzuzmtcyywywyme2zmzkzgq3yjhlmzqyytk1ywvl-e1421668724147.jpeg?w=221

Packers tight end Brandon Bostick paid for his special teams gaffe with his job.

But he’s apparently found another one quickly.

Minneapolis-based agent Blake Baratz just tweeted out word that Bostick’s “coming to my hood,” and “Great landing spot, in my backyard, the best is yet to come my man!”

Bostick was waived yesterday, so it’s likely a waiver claim.

Bostick was released after misplaying the onsides kick that allowed the Seahawks to come back and win the NFC Championship, a play he might have never lived down in Green Bay.

He had nine receptions in two years with the Packers, and never took advantage of the opportunity to play a larger role this year.

But the Vikings are apparently going to give him a chance to make the Packers pay again.

OK, Packer faithful, the NFL Combine has begun. General Manager Ted Thompson and his crew are neck deep in player assessments....and they're loving every minute of it! It's going to be an interesting year for the Green & Gold, as they have already made some pretty major changes.

Head Coach Mike McCarthy will no longer be the lead play-caller during games. McCarthy will focus on managing the entire team during games.

Former Offensive Coordinator Tom Clements has been promoted to Assistant Head Coach, and will be calling the offensive plays during games.

Wide Receiver Coach Edgar Bennett has been promoted to Offensive Coordinator

Alex Van Pelt is still the Quarterbacks coach, but he will also be the Wide Receiver Coach.

Ron Zook has been promoted to Special Teams Coach.

Roster changes are also seeing some changes:

ILB Brad Jones has been released (to the extreme delight of many immature fans, who have devoted their entire lives to insulting the not-so-great linebacker).

TE Brandon Bostick has been released.

WR Ken Dorsey has been released.

As expected, the Packers are very interested in any and all inside linebackers who will be in the Draft. Eric Kendricks (UCLA), Denzel Perryman (Miami, FL) and Benardrick McKinney (Miss. State) are very high on the Packers' radar. Also of interest is TE Maxx Williams (Minnesota), whose play-making abilities are raising eybrows everywhere.

With the 30th pick, the Packers won't be able to trade up too far, but they could move up a few spots and get a play-maker. It could happen!! :haz: :haz:

OK, Packer faithful, the NFL Combine has begun. General Manager Ted Thompson and his crew are neck deep in player assessments....and they're loving every minute of it! It's going to be an interesting year for the Green & Gold, as they have already made some pretty major changes.

Head Coach Mike McCarthy will no longer be the lead play-caller during games. McCarthy will focus on managing the entire team during games.

Former Offensive Coordinator Tom Clements has been promoted to Assistant Head Coach, and will be calling the offensive plays during games.

Wide Receiver Coach Edgar Bennett has been promoted to Offensive Coordinator

Alex Van Pelt is still the Quarterbacks coach, but he will also be the Wide Receiver Coach.

Ron Zook has been promoted to Special Teams Coach.

Roster changes are also seeing some changes:

ILB Brad Jones has been released (to the extreme delight of many immature fans, who have devoted their entire lives to insulting the not-so-great linebacker).

TE Brandon Bostick has been released.

WR Ken Dorsey has been released.

As expected, the Packers are very interested in any and all inside linebackers who will be in the Draft. Eric Kendricks (UCLA), Denzel Perryman (Miami, FL) and Benardrick McKinney (Miss. State) are very high on the Packers' radar. Also of interest is TE Maxx Williams (Minnesota), whose play-making abilities are raising eybrows everywhere.

With the 30th pick, the Packers won't be able to trade up too far, but they could move up a few spots and get a play-maker. It could happen!! :haz: :haz:

The Packers will struggle to hold off the Chicago Foxes and resurgent Viqueens this year, get ready for DOOM Packers fans!! And LOVE it!! :madra:

• Like 1

Assuming Fox and Fangio do well with the rebuild, and with Bridgewater rising to the challenge, the NFC North is going to be a freaking bloodbath this year.

yup - could see lots of 1-1 splits between teams... which could lead to the North taking both WC spots :LOL:
  • Like 1

To no one's surprise, AJ Hawk has been released by the Packers.

Is it a money issue, injuries or both?

It's life in the NFL. Out with the old, in with the young. It is Hawk's time to go. His playing time has been reduced. The team needs an inside linebacker who can play all three downs.

It's also about money. Releasing Hawk frees up salary cap money, which will be used to re-sign Randall Cobb and other Packer free agents, and the incoming rookie class.

Hawk is completely cool with his release. He's a smart man, and he knows how the NFL works. He's been nothing but pure class his entire time with the Packers.

It's life in the NFL. Out with the old, in with the young. It is Hawk's time to go. His playing time has been reduced. The team needs an inside linebacker who can play all three downs.

It's also about money. Releasing Hawk frees up salary cap money, which will be used to re-sign Randall Cobb and other Packer free agents, and the incoming rookie class.

Hawk is completely cool with his release. He's a smart man, and he knows how the NFL works. He's been nothing but pure class his entire time with the Packers.

I understand its life in the NFL. :LOL:

Just didn't know the specific details of his release.

My apologies.....I didn't mean to be patronizing. :doh:

2015 was to be the last year of Hawk's contract. His performance waned quite a bit this past year. It was the logical move. The Packers have been interviewing the top inside linebackers in this year's Draft. They are definitely going to either draft an ILB or sign a free agent. Maybe more than one.....

• Like 1

2015 was to be the last year of Hawk's contract. His performance waned quite a bit this past year. It was the logical move. The Packers have been interviewing the top inside linebackers in this year's Draft. They are definitely going to either draft an ILB or sign a free agent. Maybe more than one.....

Its all good,

Just curious if he is worth signing.

Its all good,

I think in the right scheme, he'd still be better than some of the guys out there. I appreciate everything he's done, and wish him the best. Unfortunate that he was just caught in a diminishing role.

• Like 1

Its all good,

I think in the right scheme, he'd still be better than some of the guys out there. I appreciate everything he's done, and wish him the best. Unfortunate that he was just caught in a diminishing role.

I love his passion for the game,

He was great at OSU!! :haz:

Signed, sealed, and delivered!!

randall-cobb-packers1.jpg

:haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz:

The Green Bay Packers have reached a deal with their top free agent, wide receiver Randall Cobb, agreeing to a four-year, $40 million contract.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported the deal Saturday evening.

Cobb's agent, Jimmy Sexton, was able to speak financial terms with other teams around the NFL during a three-day window, but the only team that could sign the receiver was the Packers until the start of free agency Tuesday.

Sexton shopped Cobb around the NFL before agreeing on a deal that came in closer to what the Packers wanted than what Cobb originally was seeking.

Cobb, according to a league source, told the Packers he would accept less to return to Green Bay. Originally, sources had indicated, he was seeking $12 million per year.

It's possible that Cobb couldn't get that from another team. NFL Network said he had interest from six or seven teams, but spreading the word that he would give the Packers a discount could have been a face-saving measure.

The Packers were not going to break the $10 million mark with Cobb because it would have created a fracture in their salary structure given Jordy Nelson is averaging $9.75 million per year and is considered their No. 1 wide receiver. Cobb is mostly a slot receiver who functions better in the Packers offense than he probably would in more traditional offenses.

The Packers were facing a challenge in that the salary cap has gone up $20 million in two years and salaries are expected to skyrocket when free agency begins. However, they also knew Cobb's talents were best used playing with quarterback Aaron Rodgers and that leaving might mean he'd wind up in a rebuilding situation.

Edited by Principled Man

The Green Bay Packers have reached a deal with their top free agent, wide receiver Randall Cobb, agreeing to a four-year, $40 million contract.

Cobb's agent, Jimmy Sexton, was able to speak financial terms with other teams around the NFL during a three-day window, but the only team that could sign the receiver was the Packers until the start of free agency Tuesday.

Sexton shopped Cobb around the NFL before agreeing on a deal that came in closer to what the Packers wanted than what Cobb originally was seeking.

Cobb, according to a league source, told the Packers he would accept less to return to Green Bay. Originally, sources had indicated, he was seeking $12 million per year.

It's possible that Cobb couldn't get that from another team. NFL Network said he had interest from six or seven teams, but spreading the word that he would give the Packers a discount could have been a face-saving measure.

The Packers were not going to break the $10 million mark with Cobb because it would have created a fracture in their salary structure given Jordy Nelson is averaging $9.75 million per year and is considered their No. 1 wide receiver. Cobb is mostly a slot receiver who functions better in the Packers offense than he probably would in more traditional offenses.

The Packers were facing a challenge in that the salary cap has gone up $20 million in two years and salaries are expected to skyrocket when free agency begins. However, they also knew Cobb's talents were best used playing with quarterback Aaron Rodgers and that leaving might mean he'd wind up in a rebuilding situation.

Damn,

I was hoping the Raiders would have had a shot at him. :madra: :D

Damn,

Only if he gets in trouble with the law... seeing he is an NFL player, odds are pretty good :)

• Like 1

Damn,

Only if he gets in trouble with the law... seeing he is an NFL player, odds are pretty good :)

Does he have a history with the law?