The Green Bay Packers Thread

Principled Man

I don't know how they lost this game unbelievable.

To quote Dennis Green: "We let 'em off the hook!!" :doh:

All those great defensive plays in the first two quarters or more went for naught. The collapse on 3rd and 19 and the fake FG right afterwards were the key errors.

What about the onside kick failure and the safety who fell down after the interception?? :oops:

Forget Bostick for a moment it should never have come down to that play. I think the key play that set everything into a downward motion for the Packers was THAT INTERCEPTION. if you go back and look at it he had the entire left side of field where he was running WIDE OPEN. He went down because he THOUGHT THE GAME WAS OVER and so did the rest of the Packer team. At the very least get in field goal range or if that safety was in fear of fumbling run till you get close to out of bounds, if an opposing tackler comes jump out of bounds. From that point on the Packers were thinking the game was over and it was downhill from there.

So the Bostick was big but no where as huge as that interception....imagine if I was reverse the SeaChics were going to run that interception back for sure. why because the game ain't over TILL ITS OVER.

THIS kind of loss lingers with players and teams for years it should never have happened it did......like the quote said ..........................We let em off the hook!

• Like 5

Big Cowboys fan, but I felt the pain of Packers fans yesterday. I was pissed at them for blowing it! Bostick's biggest mistake was that he was not supposed to go for the ball. He was a blocker and Jordy Nelson was the "hands" guy right next to him. BUT, the 2 point conversion to me was the biggest Packer killer. How the heck did they allow that completion?? Just knock it down and the field goal wins the game.
  • Like 4

All those great defensive plays in the first two quarters or more went for naught. The collapse on 3rd and 19 and the fake FG right afterwards were the key errors.

What about the onside kick failure and the safety who fell down after the interception?? :oops:

Forget Bostick for a moment it should never have come down to that play. I think the key play that set everything into a downward motion for the Packers was THAT INTERCEPTION. if you go back and look at it he had the entire left side of field where he was running WIDE OPEN. He went down because he THOUGHT THE GAME WAS OVER and so did the rest of the Packer team. At the very least get in field goal range or if that safety was in fear of fumbling run till you get close to out of bounds, if an opposing tackler comes jump out of bounds. From that point on the Packers were thinking the game was over and it was downhill from there.

So the Bostick was big but no where as huge as that interception....imagine if I was reverse the SeaChics were going to run that interception back for sure. why because the game ain't over TILL ITS OVER.

THIS kind of loss lingers with players and teams for years it should never have happened it did......like the quote said ..........................We let em off the hook!

Looking at that play again - Peppers is motioning for him to go down.

I think McCarthy had a lot to do with that. I have to assume at halftime he basically told them "we got this, don't do anything stupid to lose the game" - that was exactly how the Packers played in the second half. No fire, no intensity, basically playing prevent.

2nd and 31, 3rd and 19, 4th and 10... the drive ends with a gimmick TD on a fake FG.

MB laying down on the INT

The failed defense of the 2 pt

Bostick NOT DOING HIS JOB

It all comes down to a pathetic coaching job in the 2nd half. They played not to lose.

Three straight rushes by Eddie Lacy resulted in a net loss of four yards and ate only 64 seconds off the clock. On their two drives with a 12-point lead, the Packers failed to get a first down.

"Not very good," Rodgers said of the drives. "When you do that, that's how you lose games."

Rodgers appeared critical of the late play-calling, suggesting his team needed to be more aggressive. Packers coach Mike McCarthy had already raised eyebrows in the first half by conservatively settling for a pair of field goals with the ball at Seattle's 1-yard-line both times.

Edited by Lost In Xanadu
  • Like 1

Big Cowboys fan, but I felt the pain of Packers fans yesterday. I was pissed at them for blowing it! Bostick's biggest mistake was that he was not supposed to go for the ball. He was a blocker and Jordy Nelson was the "hands" guy right next to him. BUT, the 2 point conversion to me was the biggest Packer killer. How the heck did they allow that completion?? Just knock it down and the field goal wins the game.

We were routing for the Packers and watched the whole thing. This is why you play 60, not 551/2.

I was scared of the Seashawks being in the Superbowl but now I see they can be beaten. Should be a good one, GO PATS!!

Looking at that play again - Peppers is motioning for him to go down.

I think McCarthy had a lot to do with that. I have to assume at halftime he basically told them "we got this, don't do anything stupid to lose the game" - that was exactly how the Packers played in the second half. No fire, no intensity, basically playing prevent.

2nd and 31, 3rd and 29, 4th and 10... the drive ends with a gimmick TD on a fake FG.

MB laying down on the INT

The failed defense of the 2 pt

Bostick NOT DOING HIS JOB

It all comes down to a pathetic coaching job in the 2nd half. They played not to lose.

Three straight rushes by Eddie Lacy resulted in a net loss of four yards and ate only 64 seconds off the clock. On their two drives with a 12-point lead, the Packers failed to get a first down.

"Not very good," Rodgers said of the drives. "When you do that, that's how you lose games."

Rodgers appeared critical of the late play-calling, suggesting his team needed to be more aggressive. Packers coach Mike McCarthy had already raised eyebrows in the first half by conservatively settling for a pair of field goals with the ball at Seattle's 1-yard-line both times.

Agreed. Also, the Packers didn't capitalize on the turnovers.
  • Like 3

This is cool and very interesting that goes in how much game planning is put into these games....

http://deadspin.com/...tart-1680433146

Wow, pretty spectacular the level of detail. Way better than "we got the lead, don't mess this up!"

How did we let this guy beat us? :LOL: He looks terrified

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2015/0118/nfl_a_jryan2_576x324.jpg

Wasn't Ryan an ex Packer? Maybe this made it all the more surprising that they had him throw.

I remember in the early to mid 70s when the Packers played the Bears and Chester Marcol, who was about as unathletic a guy as you can imagine, had a FG blocked in OT. The ball came right back to him, and he ran for his life and scored the winning TD. That was probably three times faster than he'd ever run before.

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 1

How did we let this guy beat us? :LOL: He looks terrified

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2015/0118/nfl_a_jryan2_576x324.jpg

Wasn't Ryan an ex Packer? Maybe this made it all the more surprising that they had him throw.

I remember in the early to mid 70s when the Packers plaed the Bears and Chester Marcol, who was about as unathletic a guy as you can imagine, had a FG blocked in OT. The ball came right back to him, and he ran for his life and scored the winning TD. That was probably three times faster than he'd ever run before.

I remember that game. It was in 1980. :codger:

I remember in the early to mid 70s when the Packers played the Bears and Chester Marcol, who was about as unathletic a guy as you can imagine, had a FG blocked in OT. The ball came right back to him, and he ran for his life and scored the winning TD. That was probably three times faster than he'd ever run before.

Not surprising, as he was high on cocaine during the game. :laughing guy:

To make Head Coach Mike McCarthy's week infinitely worse, his younger brother, Joe, collapsed and died while playing racquetball earlier today. :)

To make Head Coach Mike McCarthy's week infinitely worse, his younger brother, Joe, collapsed and died while playing racquetball earlier today. :)

You've been flagged for Bad Use of Smileys. :tsk: I thought you were joking till I looked it up. RIP.

Tragic news... :(

Forgive the timing but did his parents really give a kid with the last name of McCarthy the first name of Joe (I assume he was born after the McCarthy hearings.)

Forgive the timing but did his parents really give a kid with the last name of McCarthy the first name of Joe (I assume he was born after the McCarthy hearings.)

The McCarthy family lives in the Pittsburgh area, and I'm sure that they were very proud to name Joseph McCarthy III the way that they did.

The problem with your question is not the bad timing, but the ignorance of it. McCarthy is a strong Irish name, which dates back to the 3rd century C.E. There are lots of McCarthy's, and we can be pretty sure that they don't give a hoot about the dysfunctional senator from Wisconsin (who died in 1957).

Edited by Principled Man

The McCarthy family lives in the Pittsburgh area, and I'm sure that they were very proud to name Joseph McCarthy III the way that they did.

The problem with your question is not the bad timing, but the ignorance of it. McCarthy is a strong Irish name, which dates back to the 3rd century C.E. There are lots of McCarthy's, and we can be pretty sure that they don't give a hoot about the dysfunctional senator from Wisconsin (who died in 1957).

Principled Man is not so principled?

Principled Man is not so principled?

I don't understand your question. Please clarify.

Edited by Principled Man

Letroy Guion had nearly $200,000 in cash on him, plus weed, gun

Posted by Darin Gantt on February 4, 2015, 2:38 PM EST

Yeah, this overnight arrest of Packers defensive tackle Letroy Guion keeps looking worse and worse.

The report from the Starke (Fla.) Police Department is out, and it appears that Guion had more than just a little weed and a handgun on him last night.

Via Wes Hodkiewicz of the Green Bay Press-Gazette, police found 357 grams of marijuana (.787 pounds, or as some of my old college roommates tell me, a lot), a 9mm semi-automatic handgun and $190,028.81 in cash.

He’d have probably been all right, but the pile of change at the lower right of the picture totalling 81 cents is going to push this one right over the top.

Guion was pulled over at 11:03 p.m. last night for failing to maintain a single lane, which is probably harder with all that weed and money rattling around in the floorboards.

(Note: Starke is a notorious speed trap on U.S. 301 in central Florida, and the home of Old Sparky, the state’s sometimes-functioning electric chair. #themoreyouknow)

Guion is currently being held on $100,000 bond.

Letroy Guion had nearly $200,000 in cash on him, plus weed, gun

Posted by Darin Gantt on February 4, 2015, 2:38 PM EST

Yeah, this overnight arrest of Packers defensive tackle Letroy Guion keeps looking worse and worse.

The report from the Starke (Fla.) Police Department is out, and it appears that Guion had more than just a little weed and a handgun on him last night.

Via Wes Hodkiewicz of the Green Bay Press-Gazette, police found 357 grams of marijuana (.787 pounds, or as some of my old college roommates tell me, a lot), a 9mm semi-automatic handgun and $190,028.81 in cash.

He’d have probably been all right, but the pile of change at the lower right of the picture totalling 81 cents is going to push this one right over the top.

Guion was pulled over at 11:03 p.m. last night for failing to maintain a single lane, which is probably harder with all that weed and money rattling around in the floorboards.

(Note: Starke is a notorious speed trap on U.S. 301 in central Florida, and the home of Old Sparky, the state’s sometimes-functioning electric chair. #themoreyouknow)

Guion is currently being held on $100,000 bond.

What an awesome story. It's like Nate Newton all over again...

Why do so many teams have a yearly thread? Packers and Patriots (among others) only have a main thread... is it because they are consistently good, and don't need to re-focus every year?