Columbus, Ohio Show

tmicom

forgive the slight intro..

One of the things I do in my spare time is I referee women's flat track roller derby (I am a WFTDA Level 2 Certified Referee) and on Friday night was in Bloomington, IN for a double header. I stayed overnight and was almost back to Columbus with a car full of derby girls when one of them commented on a motorcycle passing us"Ohh, nice bike!". I looked and said "Yeah, man thats an expensive one- red BMW touring type bike with dual rear saddle bags and looking at the rider I......"

Yikes, I think thats Neil Peart!

and by that time the bike was gone ahead of me and of course I didn't even think to grab my cell and snap a pic...

Anyway this show I attended by myself as my normal RUSH buddy got 4th row seats for his Birthday. I really enjoyed the show and setlist (I didn't peek this time!) and the drum solo was ridiculous! Another great thing was I was surrounded by women- college co-eds from what I could tell so their emotional response to the music was a good and fun change of pace. I am sure the sound was a little echoy (its Nationwide Arena after all!) but I always wear ear plugs, which have a side benefit of eliminating all that ambient noise and reverb and making the music easier to hear. The playing seemed very strong and energetic and tight. Visuals were great- when that first firework went off I almost got a Mike's hard lemonade in the face from one of the aforementioned co-eds literally jumping out of her seat, screaming.

How can you not say it was not an awesome weekend as I was surrounded by beautiful women and attended a show by my favorite band. I sincerely hope everyone has had as good a time as I did.

Unfortunately, I wasn't surrounded by beautiful women... but I had a great time anyways tongue.gif

The people behind us, and the people in front of us, caught shirts, the lucky sob's...

Ditto on the ear plugs. It was like an instant EQing of the sound. I used the Hearos ones and they really cut out the harsh mid-high frequencies. I just wish the sound was louder with the ear plugs in (I know, that sounds like a contradiction... wacko.gif )

Great show. 2.gif

Yeah I went... loved the show. Loved everything about it. As some may know, I'm a college female and the men behind me during the intermission complemented me for knowing the words to all the lyrics better than some of the people around me. smile.gif

The show was great, the only thing that hurts my soul is I didn't bring my camera, because apparently Rush was allowing them....what happen. Last time they were really strict about cameras, to the point of making people not take pictures with their cellphones. Ahhh well. It was still a great night, one I'll not forget.

GREAT show....Jesus, they kicked ass! Alex looked like he was having a good time..sweated his ass off, his first shirt was drenched!

Got the $30 rate at the Hyatt Regency PLUS when I checked out they didn't even charge me for the valet! What a deal.

QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ Aug 30 2010, 11:13 AM)
Yeah I went... loved the show. Loved everything about it. As some may know, I'm a college female and the men behind me during the intermission complemented me for knowing the words to all the lyrics better than some of the people around me. smile.gif

The show was great, the only thing that hurts my soul is I didn't bring my camera, because apparently Rush was allowing them....what happen. Last time they were really strict about cameras, to the point of making people not take pictures with their cellphones. Ahhh well. It was still a great night, one I'll not forget.

One guy behind me told the 2 girls to my right they were "The most attractive RUSH fans in the venue." I just wanted to cover my head in shame as I am sure he meant it as a compliment but it came out sounding like such a cheesy pickup line.

I only had my cell camera and I was in section 206, which while near the back still afforded a good view but very bad pictures!

QUOTE (tmicom @ Aug 30 2010, 03:23 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ Aug 30 2010, 11:13 AM)

One guy behind me told the 2 girls to my right they were "The most attractive RUSH fans in the venue." I just wanted to cover my head in shame as I am sure he meant it as a compliment but it came out sounding like such a cheesy pickup line.

I only had my cell camera and I was in section 206, which while near the back still afforded a good view but very bad pictures!

I only had my cell camera too, which is decent, but in the pictures you can't really see anything.

QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ Aug 30 2010, 12:19 PM)
you need to host them... try photobucket.com

or tinypic....can I just shoot myself now???? sounds like you guys had a GREAT TIME

I am so very jealous lol

Didn't get a chance to go down there sad.gif

Hopefully next summer? Blossom music center will be on the Clockwork Angels tour itinerary. yes.gif

It was an awesome show. Wish I did have a camera being closer than usual for me this time.

I'm just not a real picture taking person at shows. I would rather enjoy the show with my eyes instead of through a viewfinder or a tiny 2 inch video screen.

Edited by Nim2

I was in section 210, waaaaay in the back, but I still had a blast. I sat next to this mom from Toronto, and afterword she told me that I was a "wonderful fan" and a "joy to sit next to." Heh. I get all the ladies. tongue.gif

Only my second time seeing Rush, and they totally blew me away. Especially 2112, that was beyond fantastic.

QUOTE (Sangheili @ Aug 31 2010, 10:07 AM)
I was in section 210, waaaaay in the back, but I still had a blast. I sat next to this mom from Toronto, and afterword she told me that I was a "wonderful fan" and a "joy to sit next to." Heh. I get all the ladies. tongue.gif

Only my second time seeing Rush, and they totally blew me away. Especially 2112, that was beyond fantastic.

Guess you could have used this sign....this guy was a couple rows in front of us.

2.gif

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/7320/6128.jpg

QUOTE (RushNut @ Aug 31 2010, 09:12 AM)
QUOTE (Sangheili @ Aug 31 2010, 10:07 AM)

Guess you could have used this sign....this guy was a couple rows in front of us.

2.gif

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/7320/6128.jpg

The GIGGITY sign. Love it.

Had a few good responses from the females. The one behind me screamed and nearly blew out my eardrum, not only in response to the sign but during the show as well.

Edited by Nim2

I'd never seen Rush until Sunday night (at Nationwide Arena), which is pretty damned incredible given how much I've enjoyed their music and admired their individual and collective instrumental prowess over the years. a friend of mine who was a huuuuuuuuuge fan as a kid was going on and on -- about a week and a half ago -- about how psyched he was for this show, and he let me borrow a copy of Beyond the Lighted Stage (if you haven't seen it it's an absolute must) he had out from Netflix.

seeing their story, reliving so much GREAT music, but perhaps even more -- getting a sense of these guys as human beings (not just monster players) started me to thinking. plus I was REALLY digging on the newer songs I heard here and there. then checking out the rave reviews and critical response to the Time Machine tour, along with clips on Youtube, seeing how clear it is that these guys still "have it" in spades, I realized I'd probably better not let THIS chance go by. it took some doing, but am I ever glad I didn't.

I was able to score a couple decent lower bowl seats and I took my seven year old son with me. his eyes got huge when he saw the inside of the arena and the stage, and they widened even more when the opening "movie" gave way to the real thing, and the Spirit of Radio took flight. I really can't imagine a better, more impressive "BIG" concert experience for a kid --or his Dad -- than what we saw and heard.

Thanks Rush.