Does anyone else dislike P/G?

NAO

I LOVE Grace Under Pressure!!! The way that they make you feels what you are pics in your mind while the songs are playing...Whoa!! The Live versions of these songs bring you chills and happiness and love the way that Geddy sings 'em. Like "Red Sector A", what a pleading heartfelt emotions running through that song.. :dweez: :drool: :kisshug: Rush to me is perfect in every ways that they do, non album or album. I truly feel whatever they wrote and play because it is what they did so well. It is why GUP is my most fave album. It may have been different from the first 3 of their albums, but, to me, this will stand out as one of the best of all times.

:goodone:
  • Like 1

unique album with some cringe :facepalm:

:LOL:

That can apply to more than one RUSH album, I think. :P

...and multiple times to one album in particular. :P

I think he's looking at you Roll The Bones.

• Like 1

I love P/G but I'm not a huge fan of Power Windows.

Though I like many, if not most of their songs, soundwise both P/W and HYF cross the line for me in terms of 80's electronic effects.

Getting warmer... ;)

or Presto.

• Like 1

Getting warmer... ;)

or Presto.

eek...no...well the bunnies are a bit silly...

RUSH are done up like Duran Duran doing the dustmen round on the back cover. This worried me when I bought it and I was right, at least partially.

Geddy would never straddle that sailboat mast (or whatever that was) like Simon Le Bon did in the DD Rio video. Lifeson maybe, but Geddy wouldn’t. :blaze:

• Like 1

RUSH are done up like Duran Duran doing the dustmen round on the back cover. This worried me when I bought it and I was right, at least partially.

Geddy would never straddle that sailboat mast (or whatever that was) like Simon Le Bon did in the DD Rio video. Lifeson maybe, but Geddy wouldn’t. :blaze:

Neil would think about it.

He’d have Mosbach scope things out first though.

• Like 1

He’d have Mosbach scope things out first though.

Of course!

I'm down with NAO...as coming from that same exact angle expressed on the Metallica v. Megadeth thread from ova thar at 'Music of the Spheres'...

Rush, like Metallica after 'The Black Album', and a ton of other groups which can easily be cited here as examples, who got theyselves such a huge serving of newfound fame and glory after that <i>one</i>, hugely successful crossover recording, began to sell-out immediately therafter, further and further streamling and mainstreaming their approach and sound with each subsequent release. With Rush, eventually the guitars were completely phased out and replaced with synths.

This 'selling-out' seems like a highly natural, albeit still highly 'despicable' thing...You get yourself a taste of what it's like to be invited to all those bigtime, music industry events, begin to clink and clack wine glasses with all your bigtime music industry idols, experience things you never have before, like sex with women other than your wife. Sounds like a bunch of fun, right? All those TV appearances and album signings?

It is true that Rush had made some concessions, i.e. 'compromises' to their sound, and in turn, to their 'musical integrity' in order to garner even more radio airplay time for themselves after growing further addicted to what had already been afforded to them at the end of their Permanent Waves/Moving Pictures phase...

They studied all these other highly succesful radio formulas of the time, such as 'The Police', and some of the other New Wave outfits which were climbing the charts...Rush studied these cats, and being as astute and perceptive as they naturally were as artisans, the lads adopted those elements which worked for them and discarded the rest...You CAN NOT deny both a 'Police' influence for the band throughout the enitre mid-80's period, as well as a generalized acceptance of radio-friendly 'synth' sounds...

It might even sound like I'm bashing away at Rush, but I'm really not...I'm able to appreciate a fair amount of their material from this period...I'm just pointing out what I think should be evident to all here...I can stomach a lot of the material from the sell-out phase...a gray area which begins somewhere in the light grey realm of 'Signals', and ends up in that deep, dark grey-black area of the abominable 'Presto' release'...I'm scared to even listen to that album anymore, for fear that I might even begin to like a tune, here or there...as I wound up doing with Genesis's 1978 title, '...And Then".

But, make no mistake...There were concessions made by Rush, compromises made to their sound to ensure further radio air-time allotments, and this move has always been synonymous with 'selling out'.

Well musicians have to pay rent too...

• Like 2

No. Personally I love Grace Under Pressure, it’s probably one of my favorite Rush albums from the 1980’s and I love Listening to it. As for disliking the album, I think the main reason you don’t like it is because the synths just don’t resonate with you, which is fine, but it was part of Rush’s evolution as a band and the progression of their musical style. They dared to take risks and for the most part it worked because they produced some amazing songs and albums. Signals, Permanent Waves, Power Windows etc. All of these albums incorporated synthesizers in some form.
  • Like 2

Red Lenses is pretty great, my favorite is probably Between The Wheels though, such a great song, and the only song from GUP that I got to hear live, (during R40)
  • Like 1

A good read: https://www.udiscove...pressure-album/

"One of Rush’s most urgent and impassioned works, ‘Grace Under Pressure’ continues to press buttons in a brand-new era of age-old paranoia."

Ugh I'm glad they don't get narcissistic and self centered reviewers like that anymore. People used to bash them so unfairly just because it was trendy to do so.

Edited by TheGhostRider

A good read: https://www.udiscove...pressure-album/

"One of Rush’s most urgent and impassioned works, ‘Grace Under Pressure’ continues to press buttons in a brand-new era of age-old paranoia."

Ugh I'm glad they don't get narcissistic and self centered reviewers like that anymore. People used to bash them so unfairly just because it was trendy to do so.

:eh:

Did you read it? It's from this year, and it's incredibly positive.

• Like 1