Does anyone else dislike P/G?

NAO

Steve Lillywhite not producing Rush was a missed opportunity.

Indeed. I have to think the results would of been exceptional.

It's one of my biggest "What if?" questions ever. My main problem with GUP is the production. I can't imagine Lillywhite would not have gave it a heaviness it deserves.

• Like 2

I like Grace a lot, and for me it was a great improvement over Signals. Alex is on fire throughout the album.

Yeah, Alex considers himself overshadowed by the synths during this era, but this is the exact pressure in which drove him to shine. Never again will we see such a unique interaction between guitar / keyboards. Soak it in lads ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-lFr5N8KOc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wziJqdq4LcA

Steve Lillywhite not producing Rush was a missed opportunity.

With better production, p/g could easily be a top teir Rush album for me. Lillywhite, Eno, any of those new age, new wave guys could’ve worked wonders on this material.

I like Grace a lot, and for me it was a great improvement over Signals. Alex is on fire throughout the album.

Yeah, Alex considers himself overshadowed by the synths during this era, but this is the exact pressure in which drove him to shine. Never again will we see such a unique interaction between guitar / keyboards. Soak it in lads ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-lFr5N8KOc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wziJqdq4LcA

I always found PoW had the most interesting intersections of synths and guitars, but p/g certainly set the stage for that.

In my view Grace Under Pressure was the line of demarcation. This was the last Rush I bought back in the day. The crossover from greatness to I don't really care that much anymore. I always enjoyed this one...
  • Like 3

I'm not the biggest fan of the album. I do like half of it, Kid Gloves, Afterimage, Distant Early Warning, Between the Wheels are all good, but not classic RUSH. The rest of it doesn't appeal to me that much.

I know people who wont entertain any rush after moving pictures

They wont even try to get into it

All the brilliant, mature and developed rush they missing :(

Just get in there and give it a chance will ya, i myself found Power Windows a bit too much of a stretch on release but pretty soon necame contender for fav rush album

Have a few drinks or something when listening to nu rush, anything to change your thought patterns coz when it finally clicks it'll change your life

So much after MP to explore is like another universe and you'll find p/g at the heart of it

I certainly didn`t like p/g when it came out. I was underwhelmed with Signals and was certain p/g would restore my vision of Rush....oops. But like almost all Rush records, it took a few spins to 'get it'. Alex's playing and tone are impressive...

In my view Grace Under Pressure was the line of demarcation. This was the last Rush I bought back in the day. The crossover from greatness to I don't really care that much anymore. I always enjoyed this one...

I think Hold Your Fire was the first one for me where I started to hit the “suck button” (aka skip track button) on more than one song

I think Hold Your Fire was the first one for me where I started to hit the “suck button” (aka skip track button) on more than one song

Throughout RUSH's catalogue there have always been albums I connect with more than others, and those connections have come and gone for some, as well.

But Grace is among the set of albums that I've loved continuously from first listen.

Edited by goose
  • Like 3

I don't hate it, but it's far from my favorite. It always seemed too cold and technological for my tastes, though maybe that was intentional.
  • Like 1

This is exactly my view as well. I did perservere with PoW and HYF, But I didn't get passed the first track on HYF. P/G, PoW and HYF are my 3 least favourite albums.

This is exactly my view as well. I did perservere with PoW and HYF, But I didn't get passed the first track on HYF. P/G, PoW and HYF are my 3 least favourite albums.

Don't get me wrong I liked P/G then and still do but the handwriting was on the wall. The fact that at 24 years old at the time that I didn't even bother to buy PoW tells me something. In retrospect half of it is really still quite good but that isn't what I had come to expect from my band...
  • Like 1

Don't get me wrong I liked P/G then and still do but the handwriting was on the wall. The fact that at 24 years old at the time that I didn't even bother to buy PoW tells me something. In retrospect half of it is really still quite good but that isn't what I had come to expect from my band...

Sorry, my comments made me seem like I hated GUP. I don't dislike any Rush album, just those 3 are my least favourite. However, as I missed out a lot of Rush between HYF and Clockwork Angels I had some catching up to do.. So much so even though I now own all the albums in one guise or another I've just bought Sector 3. I've read these are the best masters, so if that's the case I'll get Sector's 1 and 2 too.

I LOVE Grace Under Pressure!!! The way that they make you feels what you are pics in your mind while the songs are playing...Whoa!! The Live versions of these songs bring you chills and happiness and love the way that Geddy sings 'em. Like "Red Sector A", what a pleading heartfelt emotions running through that song.. :dweez: :drool: :kisshug: Rush to me is perfect in every ways that they do, non album or album. I truly feel whatever they wrote and play because it is what they did so well. It is why GUP is my most fave album. It may have been different from the first 3 of their albums, but, to me, this will stand out as one of the best of all times.
  • Like 1