Most Underrated & Most Overrated Rush Song

rushgoober

Over rated Tom Sawyer.

I don't think it's overrated. Overplayed? Yes.

I always scoff when I read people complain that Tom Sawyer or *insert song from PeW or MP* is overrated. While these songs are definitely overplayed and unfortunately overshadow the bulk of Rush's material on the radio, they're still some really kickass tunes. Tom Sawyer is one of Neil's best drum performances. Period.

A pole, Tom Sawyer voted first off the island!

;) Please no poll.

Edited by JohnRogers

Overrated - Roll The Bones - I realize that there are a lot of people don't particularly care for the song - but the fact that anyone likes it makes it overrated

Underrated - Circumstances - great song, and Geddy is more amazing than usual on it

• Like 3

Most Overrated:

What a tough choice. A year ago, I would've said a song from their earlier albums since I didn't know even half of all Rush songs then. But now, after "discovering" every Rush song and listening to all eras a significant amount, I have a newfound appreciation for their Rush-2112 songs. So, I'm going to have to go with "Distant Early Warning." The song is good, don't get me wrong, but it never really grabbed my attention like some of their other songs.

Most Underrated:

Once again, and incredibly tough choice. I'm going to say "Losing It," even though that's a very controversial choice. Even though there is a featured part not played by Geddy, Alex, or Neil, once you get over that an appreciate the music for the music, it truly is an amazing piece. The way all of the parts work together to create an atmosphere of slight sadness is incredible, and the lyrics are one of the best illustrations of Neil's writing abilities. The violin solo gives me chills every time, especially when Jonathan Dinklage played it live. The only thing I don't like about the song is the fade out, since there is such a climactic build to the final lines, and then a very anticlimactic fade.

Overrated - Roll The Bones - I realize that there are a lot of people don't particularly care for the song - but the fact that anyone likes it makes it overrated

Underrated - Circumstances - great song, and Geddy is more amazing than usual on it

I'm changing my underrated vote-

Garden Road is more underrated than Circumstances

The *** **** song didn't even get recorded properly

Most underrated? Well, I think the debut album is generally underrated. But I've always thought the title track from Farewell To Kings is underrated. I think it's a great song but it seems that's a minority opinion.

In The End from FBN is another that comes to mind. I think it's awesome, though I've never been entirely sure what it's supposed to be about (Neil didn't write the lyrics).

Another underrated one IMHO is Witch Hunt.

Most overrated? Two great songs which I nevertheless think are overrated are Tom Sawyer and Limelight. Don't get me wrong; I love them both. But I think they're overrated.

• Like 3

Yes. I think Roll The Bones may be their worst song. Rush rapping? Ouch.

• Like 1

Over rated Tom Sawyer.

Agreed.

Underrated: Dog Years, the music moves along and cranks. The lyrics are fun take on subject that adult Peart is obsessed with, getting older.

• Like 1

Overrated - Spindrift...maybe not now but TRFers loved this thing back when it was new. I thought it was one of the worst songs off one of their worst albums. Actually, I still think so.

Underrated - Alien Shore...seems that people either dislike this or don't talk about it. I like everything about it.

• Like 1

Overrated - Spindrift...maybe not now but TRFers loved this thing back when it was new. I thought it was one of the worst songs off one of their worst albums. Actually, I still think so.

Underrated - Alien Shore...seems that people either dislike this or don't talk about it. I like everything about it.

Agree on both, although Alien Shore has lyrics that sound a teeny bit forced. But I love the music.

• Like 1

Underrated: Everyday Glory - My second favourite Rush song and is so often overlooked

Overrated: Closer to the Heart - I love the instrumental sections but I think the song itself, i.e. the verses and choruses, are fairly mediocre by Rush's standards

Ultra-overrated: Working Man - For me the best song on the first album is weaker than the vast majority of the songs with Neil Peart

Edited by absolution97

Overrated- Closer to the Heart.

I almost chose Lakeside Park. I like Closer and never cared much for Lakeside. But this is about overrated- and Closer is treated like it is essential Rush and it really just isn't.

Underrated- Fountain of Lamneth A very young band created a nice allegory for the length and partitions of a human life that I think works really well.Sure the song could blend better and Panacea could use a rewrite, but this song deserves the live treatment and much more respect.

• Like 1

Underrated: Everyday Glory - My second favourite Rush song and is so often overlooked

Overrated: Closer to the Heart - I love the instrumental sections but I think the song itself, i.e. the verses and choruses, are fairly mediocre by Rush's standards

Ultra-overrated: Working Man - For me the best song on the first album is weaker than the vast majority of the songs with Neil Peart

Everyday Glory and Cold Fire are top ten Rush songs for me.

I still don't know why they didn't play Between Sun & Moon live on that Counterparts tour and on more tours after since the song rocks and it sounds like they're having fun for the first time in forever on record. It popped up for a bit on the VT tour and then disappeared again into the obscurity bin,
  • Like 2

I still don't know why they didn't play Between Sun & Moon live on that Counterparts tour and on more tours after since the song rocks and it sounds like they're having fun for the first time in forever on record. It popped up for a bit on the VT tour and then disappeared again into the obscurity bin,

I got to see it live and it was awesome.