Most Underrated & Most Overrated Rush Song

rushgoober

QUOTE (Life is Just the Candle @ Feb 13 2011, 05:07 PM)
Overrated - 2112. Such a crappy song. It's like a 5 year old wrote this piece of garbage. There was no skill or creativity in this piece of music and I don't see why everyone likes it. I can't even get past the first 30 seconds without changing the song.

Underrated - Dog Years. Now here's a song I can relate to. When my dog died at age 12, I realized that in a dog's eyes, a year is really more like 7, because 7x12=84. 84 is a common age for people to die. I realized the genius in that line. And wouldn't you rather be a tortoise from Galapagos? Then you wouldn't die so early. This song made me realize who I was, and how one sniff at the hydrant, and the answer is automatic. tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

It's hard to write these words like I'm serious.

Are you serious?

Dissing 2112 like that? And my dog died too. I think Dog Years is a great song...but if you're seriously implying that it's better than 2112...I don't think you understand how complex that song is, and how the message the song holds to the band and its fans. Sure, it probably gets a little overplayed, and other Rush epics may be better...but 2112 is not lacking skill or creativity. You go write something so complex if you honestly claim a 5-year-old can do it.

I'm not mad at you or anything...but if you're seriously saying 2112 has no skill or creativity...something is just wrong with you, and for this, I am sad.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Feb 13 2011, 05:26 PM)
QUOTE (Life is Just the Candle @ Feb 13 2011, 05:07 PM)
Overrated - 2112. Such a crappy song. It's like a 5 year old wrote this piece of garbage. There was no skill or creativity in this piece of music and I don't see why everyone likes it. I can't even get past the first 30 seconds without changing the song.

Underrated - Dog Years. Now here's a song I can relate to. When my dog died at age 12, I realized that in a dog's eyes, a year is really more like 7, because 7x12=84. 84 is a common age for people to die. I realized the genius in that line. And wouldn't you rather be a tortoise from Galapagos? Then you wouldn't die so early. This song made me realize who I was, and how one sniff at the hydrant, and the answer is automatic.  tongue.gif  tongue.gif  tongue.gif  tongue.gif  tongue.gif  tongue.gif  tongue.gif  tongue.gif

It's hard to write these words like I'm serious.

Are you serious?

Dissing 2112 like that? And my dog died too. I think Dog Years is a great song...but if you're seriously implying that it's better than 2112...I don't think you understand how complex that song is, and how the message the song holds to the band and its fans. Sure, it probably gets a little overplayed, and other Rush epics may be better...but 2112 is not lacking skill or creativity. You go write something so complex if you honestly claim a 5-year-old can do it.

I'm not mad at you or anything...but if you're seriously saying 2112 has no skill or creativity...something is just wrong with you, and for this, I am sad.

I don't think you read the whole thread, dude.

QUOTE (New World Kid @ Aug 29 2010, 11:04 AM)
Overrated: The Fountain of Lamneth.

I think people like this song, and give it more of a chance simply because of it's length, and it's historical significance in the Rush catalog. I'm not a huge fan of the longer songs anyway, but they all have their merits and are pretty solid pieces of music. But TFOL just seems like random clips of music shoved together, interspersed with a random drum solo, and given some lyrics that almost make a concept. It was a stepping stone, everyone gives it that... why do we have to enshrine this stepping stone with adulation and concert-requests?

Underrated: Everyday Glory

I just love this song lyrically. The point it drives home about how the world, which is an entirely messed up place, doesn't change until individuals begin to change it for themselves. "Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try." That message kept the song in my top 5 for a long time. There was an interview with Neil I read once, where he says he doesn't think his lyrics are depressing, but are rather, "optimism with a bloody nose." I think this song perfectly embodies that.

+1

Great post and my thoughts exactly on TFOL.

AS far as underrated?

Tai Shan - I have always loved this song. First of all it is a bold piece of music. The song truly takes me to China and the visuals of the mountain of Tai Shan are amazing. I love the lyrics. So visual and heartfelt. I always loved Alex's oriental guitar work and Neil's ambient drum and percussion kill and set the mood too. I think the keys are beautiful. I remember the first time I heard it on the virgin listen of HYF. I was floored....I could not believe the band that rocked 2112 were even capable of writing stuff like this (Power Windows also had this effect on me about Rush). For many fans....they dislike this period of the band, for me it only solidified why I loved them so much. And while this is the weakest tune on HYF (I love every song on this album) it is still a tremendous composition in my book. The band may not look back on it fondly....but I sure do.

Edited by Todem

over: Hemispheres. Musically, it's alright. Lyrically, it's pretty obvious. Overall, just sorta eh.

under: Bravado. Simple, yet powerful music. Great lyrics. Amazing live.

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Mar 12 2011, 09:33 AM)
over: Hemispheres. Musically, it's alright. Lyrically, it's pretty obvious. Overall, just sorta eh.

under: Bravado. Simple, yet powerful music. Great lyrics. Amazing live.

I think both songs are underrated. unsure.gif

Look at how perfectly hemispheres is played...every single note that is played is perfectly woven together, and you never know how to feel...a surge of emotion or logically impressed.

Overrated: The Trees. I do not understand why casual fans adore this piece so much. Yes, it's a good song and it is a lot of fun to play on Rock Band, but I find there are a lot more songs that deserve this kind of high praise before The Trees.

Underrated: Scars, Hand Over Fist, half of VT. IMO these songs are great and deserve more attention. I also just think VT is overly disliked because of the audio clipping. If you can get past it (which IMO is pretty easy to do), you'll see some very good songs.

The most underrated track in my book is Tai Shan. It is beautiful. I love the lyrics and the exotic music. I love Tai Shan, but the band clearly doesn't.

Tom Sawyer is the most overrated Rush song ever. And don't get me wrong, I do like Tom Sawyer, but there are much better songs out there. What makes this one so special? Hemispheres is up there, too. Nothing special there, either. :huh:

Edited by Disk98
  • Like 1

Over-Spirit of Radio

Under-Hand Over Fist,Avaidable Light.Along with Presto and the Pass the best tracks on that album.

Over: Fly By Night --- this composition just never came together for me --- good parts here and there but the chorus is average for Rush and just doesn't hold up as well as other Rush songs from this era.

Under: The truly excellent Animate from CP. Actually, I think the first 3 songs from Counterparts are extremely underrated. That's 15 minutes of kick ass for any era.

Overrated: The Fountain of Lamneth. Don't dislike it but outside of No One at the Bridge I don't hear anything to get excited about. Maybe if it was shorter and the side ended with a great album closer (something like By-Tor and In the End on ATWAS) CoS would feel stronger to the non-believers.

Underrated: High Water. Can't see why so many lump it with Tai Shan. Sounds like a really good melodious, down tempo song to me. I love the chorus, first at 1:40. I like the lyrics too.

Honorable mention for underrated: How It Is. Crisp, clear, propulsive, alternating tempos, great melodies. Belies the claim that VT all sounds the same (of course some who don't like it complain that it doesn't "fit" on VT; if you're Rush it seems like you can't win sometimes).

Edited by Rutlefan

"Overrated: The Trees. I do not understand why casual fans adore this piece so much. Yes, it's a good song and it is a lot of fun to play on Rock Band, but I find there are a lot more songs that deserve this kind of high praise before The Trees."

It's the middle instrumental part, it's magical! Some think the lyrics are silly but they're clearly tongue in cheek, Neil having some uncharacteristic fun. But why the "casual fans" qualification? About every hardcore fan I've ever known loves the song.

• Like 1

Overrated: Armor and Sword, The Pass, Bravado, The Fountain of Lamneth, Middletown Dreams

Underrated: The Enemy Within, The Anarchist, Ceiling Unlimited, Nocturne, Vital Signs

Edited by laughedatbytime

Over rated Tom Sawyer.

I don't think it's overrated. Overplayed? Yes.

I always scoff when I read people complain that Tom Sawyer or *insert song from PeW or MP* is overrated. While these songs are definitely overplayed and unfortunately overshadow the bulk of Rush's material on the radio, they're still some really kickass tunes. Tom Sawyer is one of Neil's best drum performances. Period.

• Like 3

My dad says:

Overrated: Big Money

My dad has just never understood why this was a big hit of sorts and thinks it's not that great of a Rush.

I say:

Underrated: A Farewell To Kings

Not that like anyone disses it, but it never get's enough attention. When I first heard the album it was my favorite song from the album...until I got to track six.

Over: Force Ten - Not that I don't like it, but it just doesn't move me much.

Under: Carve Away the Stone - Yeah, a deep cut, nothing groundbreaking...but I love to listen to this song.

Under: Good News First - Gets stuck in my head in a good way.