Most Underrated & Most Overrated Rush Song

rushgoober

QUOTE (Mara @ Feb 11 2011, 10:51 AM)
Overrated: The Camera Eye (mainly because there is NOTHING new about the second half except the lyrics)

I agree. I still think it's a great song, but it's definitely overrated IMHO.

And as for the people who call Prime Mover underrated, I always thought that song was pretty popular among Rush fans? Anyway, it's my fave song on HYF, and there are a LOT of great songs to choose from on that album. smile.gif

Tough to narrow these down, but I'll try.

Underrated:

Open Secrets - HYF is not one of my favorite albums but this is my favorite song off that. Just something about the mood of it, particularly the ending.

Emotion Detector - I ignored this song for seemingly years, but then one day recently I started paying attention and havent stopped listening to it since. It has a few weak spots but I love the first minute and a half or so.

Ceiling Unlimited - Echoing some previous comments. One of the best off VT, hard rocking and constantly changes things up and keeps you on your toes.

I'll throw The Enemy Within in there as underrated too.

Overrated:

YYZ - Not bad, but not close to my favorite instrumental now. Leave That Thing Alone, La Villa..., The Main Monkey Business, Malignant Narcissim and perhaps a couple more I enjoy more now.

Freewill - Again not bad, but perhaps another that's simply overplayed on the radio. I dig the guitar solo but the rest of the song doesn't do much for me.

Fly By Night - Another that I wish radio stations would branch out and away from.

The Pass - Nice song, good lyrics. A GOOD song that's been elevated a bit too much perhaps.

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Feb 12 2011, 01:52 AM)
I don't get the complaint of TCE repeating itself.. How could you not want to listen to the epicocity two times over?

trink39.gif

It's like hearing a kickass 5-minute song, twice!

I wonder if the "'Camera Eye' is overrated, because it just repeats itself" crowd has listened carefully to "Hemispheres." For an "epic," it's only 18 minutes long, and consists largely of repeated themes (Apollo and Dionysus are the same song) and sound effects. So, "Camera Eye" bashers, is "Hemispheres" also overrated?

Underrated - Beneath, Between and Behind

I think all of Fly By Night is underrated but i think this song is so good live, short and to the point. I was lucky enough to hear it live a few times

Overrated -Far Cry

Sorry, i just don't see the "Greatness" of this song . One of the better songs on S&A but that is really not saying much biggrin.gif It does nothing for me studio or live. Sadly, i think this will be in the set for a long time

QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 12 2011, 09:44 AM)
Underrated - Beneath, Between and Behind
I think all of Fly By Night is underrated but i think this song is so good live, short and to the point. I was lucky enough to hear it live a few times

Overrated -Far Cry
Sorry, i just don't see the "Greatness" of this song . One of the better songs on S&A but that is really not saying much biggrin.gif It does nothing for me studio or live. Sadly, i think this will be in the set for a long time

i agree on both. beneath, between, and behind would have been a nice addition to the setlist.

Underrated: Tai Shan

Just a beautiful song. The lyrics send chills down my spine. I love the oriental soundscapes. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x37mdq_rush-tai-shan_music

Overrated: Roll The Bones

It's an ok song but I'm just not into it. I was walking through the Hard Rock Hotel here in Tampa and while going down an escalator I saw in big letters up on the wall in front of me "Why are we here, because we're here, Roll The Bones" - Rush

I thought to myself, "Man, if you were going to put up some Rush lyrics, couldn't you find something better than this with the vast selections available?!?"

Overrated: Red Sector A...I love GUP but when I hear the beginning of this I expect the Night at the Roxy boys to start dancing. Just never got into that techno bass/drums thing.

Underrated: Chemistry...This song has balls and I have to admit that it took me years to warm up to it. There is a lot going on and the bass/guitar interplay in the verse is amazing.

Overrated: The Trees, at least by casual fans. It seems to be one they always want to hear live, but there's a lot of songs I'd prefer. I like it well enough, but others blow me away. As for more serious fans, maybe MalNar...everyone LOVES this and I think it's just kinda there (but keep in mind I'm not crazy for instrumentals, except for LTTA and maybe YYZ).

Underrated: Second Nature (hey, who threw that rotten tomato)? I identify with the awesome lyrics, Geddy's voice is heartfelt, and the piano-like synths in the beginning give way to that great 80's sound in the middle. I'll give you that it needs more guitar - if some of the synth solos could be converted to/accompanied by guitar, this song would be fabulous.

Honorable mentions to Witch Hunt (holy cow, the righteous anger of Geddy's voice) and Scars (the bass is thumping, yet the song is so ethereal, and has one of my fave lines, about one of my fave subjects - emotion, "always supersensitive, but who can care too much?"). It also paints colorful pictures lyrically.

Edited by 1 of the 7

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Feb 12 2011, 10:45 AM)
Overrated: Red Sector A...I love GUP but when I hear the beginning of this I expect the Night at the Roxy boys to start dancing. Just never got into that techno bass/drums thing.

I hate it! As Tim Commerford said on the documentary, "I'm a bass player... and my favorite bass player [Geddy] playing keyboards? I'm not too crazy about it."

Geddy even takes off the mutha fukkin' bass to play "Red Sector A." No bass! All keyboards! new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

BTW, you can't convince me that "Chemistry" isn't also a turd. Worst song on Signals, no question!

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Feb 12 2011, 11:04 PM)
QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Feb 12 2011, 10:45 AM)

I hate it! As Tim Commerford said on the documentary, "I'm a bass player... and my favorite bass player [Geddy] playing keyboards? I'm not too crazy about it."

Geddy even takes off the mutha fukkin' bass to play "Red Sector A." No bass! All keyboards! new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

BTW, you can't convince me that "Chemistry" isn't also a turd. Worst song on Signals, no question!

I'm not going to try to convince you. From 1982 until about a year ago I felt the same way you did about Chemistry. Then one day I paid attention and it caught me a certain way. Now, I really like it. Not my favorite off Signals, but a great song. In fact, I would agree that it is the worst song on the album.

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Feb 12 2011, 07:47 PM)
Overrated: The Trees, at least by casual fans. It seems to be one they always want to hear live, but there's a lot of songs I'd prefer. I like it well enough, but others blow me away. As for more serious fans, maybe MalNar...everyone LOVES this and I think it's just kinda there (but keep in mind I'm not crazy for instrumentals, except for LTTA and maybe YYZ).

Underrated: Second Nature (hey, who threw that rotten tomato)? I identify with the awesome lyrics, Geddy's voice is heartfelt, and the piano-like synths in the beginning give way to that great 80's sound in the middle. I'll give you that it needs more guitar - if some of the synth solos could be converted to/accompanied by guitar, this song would be fabulous.

Honorable mentions to Witch Hunt (holy cow, the righteous anger of Geddy's voice) and Scars (the bass is thumping, yet the song is so ethereal, and has one of my fave lines, about one of my fave subjects - emotion, "always supersensitive, but who can care too much?"). It also paints colorful pictures lyrically.

I agree that Second Nature is a fantastic song. Always wanted to hear them play that one.

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Feb 12 2011, 07:47 PM)

Good choices on the honorable mentions. I think I had listed about 4 underrated and was thinking that Witch Hunt and Scars would have probably been the next two I'd choose after that.

QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ Feb 12 2011, 11:16 PM)
Don't remember if I've posted in here but I'd say

Overrated: Tom Sawyer, 2112

Underrated: Prime Mover, How It Is

Aw, thanks TJ... I think you're underrated, too wink.gif laugh.gif

I've seen several song mentioned that I feel are underrated: Tai Shan, Second Nature, Prime Mover, Witch Hunt, Scars.... I would maybe add Lakeside Park, The Color Of Right and Spindrift.

Overrated: The Necromancer, maybe. I just can't think of any Rush tunes that I don't like. Yes, I like some more than others but I don't actively DISlike any of them. Really.

Over-rated:The Fountain Of Lamneth & The Necromancer. Both songs have such a fanatical following that poll for these songs every tour. They aren't that good! They both have cool parts, but on the whole they are inferior to the rest of Rush's epics. Are you guys just getting caught up in the imagery?

Under-rated: The Enemy Within, Twilight Zone, and Something For Nothing. These are stand out tracks on two of Rush's best albums and nobody ever says peep about them.

Ok, this is my second time posting. Sue me.

OVERRATED - Hemispheres. I know, get the mob and the lynch rope, but I'm just not crazy about this song. Maybe it's because I was never a fan of the epics, or I'm not a fan of 20 minute songs in general, but it's just nowhere near as good as people make it out to be. At least not for me.

UNDERRATED - The Enemy Within. A fun song, with a fun, almost raggae beat. Great song!

Overrated - 2112. Such a crappy song. It's like a 5 year old wrote this piece of garbage. There was no skill or creativity in this piece of music and I don't see why everyone likes it. I can't even get past the first 30 seconds without changing the song.

Underrated - Dog Years. Now here's a song I can relate to. When my dog died at age 12, I realized that in a dog's eyes, a year is really more like 7, because 7x12=84. 84 is a common age for people to die. I realized the genius in that line. And wouldn't you rather be a tortoise from Galapagos? Then you wouldn't die so early. This song made me realize who I was, and how one sniff at the hydrant, and the answer is automatic. tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

It's hard to write these words like I'm serious.