All 156 songs, ranked and reviewed by Deckiller

Deckiller

QUOTE (friendlyvoice @ Aug 30 2010, 01:37 AM)
One other note: in your review of "Red Lenses", you make note of the cheesiness of "It's true!" Just in case you don't know, that's a dated joke reference to the classic SCTV comedy show that was on at that time. "National Midnight Star" was SCTV's version of the Enquirer, the Star, etc...and the catchphrase "It's true!" was used in the fake commercials for the tabloid. ("Adolf Hitler is a short order cook in Missouri!...It's true!") So, for us older fans, we might still get a chuckle out of it...but if you're under 35 or so, you might not get it.

goodpost.gif

Didn't know that! Thanks. cool.gif

QUOTE (The_Enemy_Within @ Aug 30 2010, 10:23 PM)
QUOTE (friendlyvoice @ Aug 30 2010, 01:37 AM)
One other note: in your review of "Red Lenses", you make note of the cheesiness of "It's true!" Just in case you don't know, that's a dated joke reference to the classic SCTV comedy show that was on at that time. "National Midnight Star" was SCTV's version of the Enquirer, the Star, etc...and the catchphrase "It's true!" was used in the fake commercials for the tabloid. ("Adolf Hitler is a short order cook in Missouri!...It's true!") So, for us older fans, we might still get a chuckle out of it...but if you're under 35 or so, you might not get it.

goodpost.gif

Didn't know that! Thanks. cool.gif

The show wasn't on around here laugh.gif Still older than 35 and still not getting it.

Honestly man, you should NOT be making a list like this. The way you put down some of these songs, it really is a travestiy. I looked at your profile and it says you play a little keyboard. I play bass and piano and I know how hard it it to play alot of these songs. I mean, Vital Signs at 99? Do you know how great the bass work is on that song? Rush work really hard at what they do and with a band like Rush you just can't have lists and ranks. All their songs are great. Us Rush Fanatics don't need people like you talking about this band like it's nothing. You describe these songs like "the chorus doesn't do it for me". No one cares about your meaningless opion. Don't get me wrong it's nice for you to dedicate alot of time to talking about this band, but do it in a good way. You will probably put "Tom Sawyer" and "Limelight" in the top ten, b/c they are the most commercially acceptable songs. Do yourself a favor and try playing your keyboards more. You'll relize how hard it is to actually play music instead of critizizing it.

no.gif

dazed025.gif

new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (1dgbass @ Aug 30 2010, 03:17 PM)
Honestly man, you should NOT be making a list like this. The way you put down some of these songs, it really is a travestiy. I looked at your profile and it says you play a little keyboard. I play bass and piano and I know how hard it it to play alot of these songs. I mean, Vital Signs at 99? Do you know how great the bass work is on that song? Rush work really hard at what they do and with a band like Rush you just can't have lists and ranks. All their songs are great. Us Rush Fanatics don't need people like you talking about this band like it's nothing. You describe these songs like "the chorus doesn't do it for me". No one cares about your meaningless opion. Don't get me wrong it's nice for you to dedicate alot of time to talking about this band, but do it in a good way. You will probably put "Tom Sawyer" and "Limelight" in the top ten, b/c they are the most commercially acceptable songs. Do yourself a favor and try playing your keyboards more. You'll relize how hard it is to actually play music instead of critizizing it.

no.gif

dazed025.gif

Dude, if you don't like people expressing their opinions about Rush music, get out of this forum now as you're not gonna like it. no.gif

~ Words of wisdom of the day: Spell Check is your friend!

QUOTE (1dgbass @ Aug 30 2010, 04:17 PM)

no.gif

dazed025.gif

Now look,

I can see where you're coming from also, but Deckiller is rating the songs according to him/her (probably a dood), there's no need to get all huffy, this isn't an official ranking fer christ sakes!

Read......enjoy!

It's all meant in good fun I'm sure.

Now go and have a nice evening.

QUOTE (1dgbass @ Aug 30 2010, 06:17 PM)

no.gif

dazed025.gif

Come on. Lighten up. You're coming across a tad bit judgmental and condescending. I'm a so-called Rush fanatic. I'm enjoying this thread. Wait, I don't play a musical instrument. Am I qualified? confused13.gif

QUOTE (1dgbass @ Aug 30 2010, 03:17 PM)

no.gif

dazed025.gif

wait a minute, you posted this less than 24 hours ago on page 8:

QUOTE (1dgbass @ Aug 29 2010, 07:42 PM)
Enjoying this thread very much. I hope Rush is your favorite band of all time if your going to go through all this thought and time to do all this.

2.gif

goodpost.gif

what happened since yesterday? confused13.gif

Edited by rushgoober

Yeah, it's a Tarja avatar. It was hard finding a sprite that fits the 100 x 100.

She's such a fantastic singer and has a wonderful, sincere smile.

Truly an angel on Earth. It's unfortunate that she had to have a series of disagreements with Nightwish -- I can understand both sides of the debate on that issue.

As for the post about how I shouldn't do this because I'm not a musician who is ranking these songs on an objective, technically-oriented basis...sorry! This is just my humble opinion. I enjoy ranking songs, because it allows me to a) listen to more Rush, cool.gif listen to more Rush with a critical ear, and c) compare my opinions with other users. Yes, opinions change all the time. I have regrets on some placements -- but I'm having fun and learning things about my bond with Rush that I never noticed or had before.

I wouldn't be dedicating this much time to the band if they weren't my favorites, trust me smile.gif Nobody is perfect -- not even the boys -- and everyone is different. I understand that a deep understanding of music theory will change one's outlook on music -- that's probably why people say Dream Theater have no soul -- but you'll still have opinions that differ from others. I'm at least trying to keep the writeups short and simple, while cracking some humor with things I don't necessarily like.

Edited by Deckiller

I don't mean to be so harsh, but Rush holds a special part in my life. Probably sounds gay, but I just enjoy music more than anything. I don't want to start wars. It's not worth it. I'll admit though, I am very sensitive to this stuff and will stand by my opions. No hard feelings please. I am not a rude person and don't want to come off as such. I just don't like to associate negativity toward things I really enjoy.

QUOTE (Deckiller @ Aug 30 2010, 06:00 PM)
Yeah, it's a Tarja avatar. It was hard finding a sprite that fits the 100 x 100.

Truly an angel on Earth. It's unfortunate that she had to have a series of disagreements with Nightwish -- I can understand both sides of the debate on that issue.

As for the post about how I shouldn't do this because I'm not a musician who is ranking these songs on an objective, technically-oriented basis...sorry! This is just my humble opinion. I enjoy ranking songs, because it allows me to a) listen to more Rush, cool.gif listen to more Rush with a critical ear, and c) compare my opinions with other users. Yes, opinions change all the time. I have regrets on some placements -- but I'm having fun and learning things about my bond with Rush that I never noticed or had before.

I wouldn't be dedicating this much time to the band if they weren't my favorites, trust me smile.gif Nobody is perfect -- not even the boys -- and everyone is different. I understand that a deep understanding of music theory will change one's outlook on music -- that's probably why people say Dream Theater have no soul -- but you'll still have opinions that differ from others. I'm at least trying to keep the writeups short and simple, while cracking some humor with things I don't necessarily like.

Love Tarja wub.gif

QUOTE (1dgbass @ Aug 30 2010, 06:02 PM)
I don't mean to be so harsh, but Rush holds a special part in my life. Probably sounds gay, but I just enjoy music more than anything. I don't want to start wars. It's not worth it. I'll admit though, I am very sensitive to this stuff and will stand by my opions. No hard feelings please. I am not a rude person and don't want to come off as such. I just don't like to associate negativity toward things I really enjoy.

Yeah, you might want to stay out of this topic. Ranking songs like this means I have to find fault with pretty much half of the discography, which can be a daunting task that ultimately forces me to go on my overall "gut feeling" a lot of times.

QUOTE (tkdryan @ Aug 30 2010, 06:03 PM)
QUOTE (Deckiller @ Aug 30 2010, 06:00 PM)

Love Tarja wub.gif

I wonder if people thought it was actually me? smile.gif

-=goes to the Boston pre-concert meetup=-

"You're a dude with facial hair, not a beautiful Scandinavian lady!"

I should probably change it! wink.gif

Has anyone got hurt in here yet? This whole thing just seemed like it was primed and ready as a potential platform for intense debate...i.e. a euphemism for red-faced shouting at one another and accusing the other guy in the room that he's has got it all wrong and don't know nuthin' 'bout nuthin'...Is it at all like what I've envisioned?

Do you know how great the bass work is on that song?

>implying that awesomeness is directly linked to playing proficiency

lawl

Us Rush Fanatics don't need people like you talking about this band like it's nothing.

Now, did he really do that?

No one cares about your meaningless opion.

Yes. About the same amount of people that care about yours.

You'll relize how hard it is to actually play music instead of critizizing it.

I find this (very standard) comment funny. Let's say that i can't play any instruments. Does that mean that I can't say that I dislike death/black metal?

I don't mean to be an asshole

Then don't be one. Internet isn't srs business, contrary to what many believe.

Deckiller:

I'll start by saying I admire you for taking this on, and you've inspired me to start my own list.

But Holy Cow -- at least 2/3 of your choices from 130 on up are daggers through my heart. The implication so far is that you've rated "The Fountain of Lamneth" higher than "Grand Desgins," "Vital Signs," "Prime Mover," and "New World Man." bolt.gif

Anyway, I'm interested to see how this turns out. I would love to see 100 of these lists, then have one of the in-house statisticians calculates average rating and standard deviation from that rating for each song. What would interest me far more than the raw lists would be to see what songs are more "controversial" (i.e. have a larger standard deviation associated with their ranking).

Peace,

Ron

Edited by Ron2112