Another Day In The Rivalry

Test4VitalSigns

Here's my two cents on this...

The idiot fan should never have done what he did, but no matter what happens (and we've learned this the hard way on England) a player must NEVER react in any way at all.

Sheffield is a thug, anyone who has eyes can see that. He did show admirable restraint, but if I were Joe Torre I would ban him for 5 games and fine him a month's wages for the push on the fan, who should be banned from Fenway Park for the rest of the season.

QUOTE (Brutal Truth @ Apr 16 2005, 09:32 AM)
Here's my two cents on this...

The idiot fan should never have done what he did, but no matter what happens (and we've learned this the hard way on England) a player must NEVER react in any way at all.

Sheffield is a thug, anyone who has eyes can see that. He did show admirable restraint, but if I were Joe Torre I would ban him for 5 games and fine him a month's wages for the push on the fan, who should be banned from Fenway Park for the rest of the season.

Wasn't Shef involved in another melee at Wrigley while with the Dodgers about five years ago?

I'll reserve judgment on the thug characterization, but he would have a right to defend himself to make the play if necessary. Fortunately he didn't allow the situation to escalate any further. I do fear for players more and more. There are more and more fans who are crossing the line. The most notable case was the tragic attack on Monica Seles some years ago. A few years ago, a fan at the Phoenix Open (PGA) was accosted for carrying a gun around in his backpack while following Tiger Woods. Can you imagine?

I was watching that game and while I think that fan definitely stepped over the line, I dont think he was itentionally trying to hit Sheffield or that it was much more than incidental contact. The angles I saw made it seem more like the fan just couldnt decide whether he could try to get the ball off the field (for which he should get a royal ass kicking and be forced to drink Schlitz beer for the rest of his life!!) or not. That security guard that hopped right up there definitely deserves a free round somewhere. Right on the spot and kept an ugly situation from getting out of hand ala that Pacers (i think) game.

Must confess a bias here as a Sox fan too

Archived