NEW - Joe Satriani

EmotionDetector

I enjoyed it, but there wasn't a whole lot that grabbed me right away on first listen. I'll have to give it a few more listens and let it soak in.

Back in the 80's Satriani was the man, especially by 1987 when "Surfing with the Alien" came out. His first three albums are gold. I got "Not of This Earth" in 1986 on import because of the Steve Vai recommendation sticker and was well impressed. "Flying in a Blue Dream" was great too but the next couple of albums after were only ok and after that he's been treading water for me, with average album after average album. Same old Satch stuff. He's still a great guitarist but his albums are pretty hum drum. Edited by treeduck

Back in the 80's Satriani was the man, especially by 1987 when "Surfing with the Alien" came out. His first three albums are gold. I got "Not of This Earth" in 1986 on import because of the Steve Vai recommendation sticker and was well impressed. "Flying in a Blue Dream" was great too but the next couple of albums after were only ok and after that he's been treading water for me, with average album after average album. Same old Satch stuff. He's still a great guitarist but his albums are pretty hum drum.

Hey Duck...yeah, I can definitely see your point.

I'm a huge Satch fan, but I can agree with anyone that sees that point of view. While I enjoy all of his releases, and I've loved a lot of his recent output, he does seem to have settled on simply writing basic songs (verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge/solo, chorus, outro). It's the simple formula, and while still good, it's nothing bombastic.

I wish he was a bit more like Buckethead, and just went out there and shredded it up. Like in Blue Dream, lots of great little pieces, some moments of shred, some vocal songs, etc. Mix it up...get experimental. We know he has the ability...he just seems to be content not pushing any boundaries which is a shame really.

With that said, I've managed to listen to the first two and a half tracks (had to come back to work), and I like what I hear so far! :guitar:

Back in the 80's Satriani was the man, especially by 1987 when "Surfing with the Alien" came out. His first three albums are gold. I got "Not of This Earth" in 1986 on import because of the Steve Vai recommendation sticker and was well impressed. "Flying in a Blue Dream" was great too but the next couple of albums after were only ok and after that he's been treading water for me, with average album after average album. Same old Satch stuff. He's still a great guitarist but his albums are pretty hum drum.

I'm a huge Satch fan, but I can agree with anyone that sees that point of view. While I enjoy all of his releases, and I've loved a lot of his recent output, he does seem to have settled on simply writing basic songs (verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge/solo, chorus, outro). It's the simple formula, and while still good, it's nothing bombastic.

I wish he was a bit more like Buckethead, and just went out there and shredded it up. Like in Blue Dream, lots of great little pieces, some moments of shred, some vocal songs, etc. Mix it up...get experimental. We know he has the ability...he just seems to be content not pushing any boundaries which is a shame really.

With that said, I've managed to listen to the first two and a half tracks (had to come back to work), and I like what I hear so far! :guitar:

Yeah I tried for a long time, I got Crystal Planet and Engines of Creation which were not that great, and by the time I got to Strange Beautiful Music I'd had enough, that album was pretty much just a basic rock album, like a Steve Miller instrumental album or something, which would be ok if it was actually Steve Miller. And even the album title was basically Satch using his publishing company name like he'd run out of ideas. Since then none of the albums and stuff I've heard have tempted me back into the Satch fold. The only Satch stuff I've bought lately are the Chickenfoot albums, and he's pretty solid on there but hardly the great Satch of the 80's.

Maybe it's a Samson thing? It's been ever since he lost his hair that his albums haven't been up to scratch? :huh: :cool: <<< Satch

Yeah I tried for a long time, I got Crystal Planet and Engines of Creation which were not that great, and by the time I got to Strange Beautiful Music I'd had enough, that album was pretty much just a basic rock album, like a Steve Miller instrumental album or something, which would be ok if it was actually Steve Miller. And even the album title was basically Satch using his publishing company name like he'd run out of ideas. Since then none of the albums and stuff I've heard have tempted me back into the Satch fold. The only Satch stuff I've bought lately are the Chickenfoot albums, and he's pretty solid on there but hardly the great Satch of the 80's.

Maybe it's a Samson thing? It's been ever since he lost his hair that his albums haven't been up to scratch? :huh: :cool: <<< Satch

LOL...you may be onto something.

But seriously, I've enjoyed a lot of his 2000's output. IMO, for consistency, his best albums in this stretch (since Crystal Planet) were "Is There Love In Space?" and "Super Colossal". Crystal Planet, for me, is probably my favourite Satch record since The Extremist. Consistently good the whole way.

I was lucky enough to meet him two years ago, and the guy is just a real cool, down-to-earth fellow. It was great to meet one of my guitar heros! If I find the pictures and remember, I'll post them.

I will weigh in on this album once I get a chance to listen to the whole thing.

But seriously, I've enjoyed a lot of his 2000's output. IMO, for consistency, his best albums in this stretch (since Crystal Planet) were "Is There Love In Space?" and "Super Colossal". Crystal Planet, for me, is probably my favourite Satch record since The Extremist. Consistently good the whole way.

I was lucky enough to meet him two years ago, and the guy is just a real cool, down-to-earth fellow. It was great to meet one of my guitar heros! If I find the pictures and remember, I'll post them.

Yeah Joe seems like a good guy, always humble and enthusiastic.

When instore signings were popular here I got my Surfing vinyl signed by the dude. Still treasure it. He was playing with Mick Jagger's band I think.

Satch was good fun back at the Alien/ Blue Dream time but levelled out pretty quickly after that imo.

He's technically brilliant but his tone can be awful at times. It's particularly rank on those Chickenfoot albums.

However, my brother sees him every tour & says he's great live. Keep meaning to check his gig out.