Battle of Album Sides!

EmotionDetector

Which SIDE do you like better?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Which SIDE do you like better?

• COUNTERPARTS 1 (Animate, Stick It Out, Cut To The Chase, Nobody's Hero, Between Sun & Moon)
    • SIGNALS 1 (Subdivisions, The Analog Kid, Chemistry, Digital Man)

We always compare numerous songs and albums in various threads and polls! BUT...how about ALBUM SIDES??

That's right...let's break down albums by sides, and see which album side is everyone's favourite!

I threw all of the album sides into an automatic generator, and it generated a bracket for me with random matchups.

NOTE: Due to an uneven amount of sides to make a proper bracket tournament, I chose to remove 4 sides from the battle. I actually took this opportunity to make the poll more interesting, so...I took away:

MP - Side 1 (Could easily have been the runaway winner)

PeW - Side 1 (Another classic that could've been a clear-cut favourite)

2112 - Side 1 (Consists of 1 song, so I felt it was easier to leave out)

Hemispheres - Side 1 (Same as with 2112...only one song vs many)

With this said, I could only remove 4, so I left in The Fountain of Lamneth by itself because many people here tend to discuss that song by parts rather than a whole.

So...maybe rather than just straight answers, we could open up discussions, and everyone could maybe give some reasoning behind their choices! I will give each poll about 2 to 3 days, and then tally up the votes to see who moves forward in the bracket!

-----------------------------------------------------------

So...matchup one is a doozy if you ask me. Two solid album sides pitted up against each other. The classic Side 1 of Signals vs one of the strongest sides of the 90's in Side 1 of Counterparts.

So...fire away! waffen093.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Aug 19 2010, 03:53 PM)
First off allow my guffaw at the comparison -----> z7shysterical.gif

Signals Side 1 KILLS Counterparts Side 1

laugh.gif

There will be comments like this for sure...but I think they are both amazingly strong. Then again, I love CP.

With that said, this one is really tough for me. LOVE them both so much.

Animate and CTTC are two of the strongest tracks that they've done since the mid-80's. I am always drawn back to listening to those constantly. Stick It Out has an exceptional guitar solo, and Nobody's Hero has great guitar playing by Lerxst...while BS&M rounds out the side with a nice track, though the weakest of the bunch IMO.

On the flip side, Subdivisions is not only a classic, but probably a Top 10 song for me, and Analog Kid absolutely kills. Chemistry is criminally underrated IMO, and Digital Man, while my least favourite of this side, is still absolutely stunning with awesome bass work and drum fills.

Gimmie Signals 1...but by the thinnest of hairs.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 19 2010, 03:58 PM)
Counterparts is a great album, easily their best post-HYF, but seriously, against side one of Signals? Sorry CP, but you lose.

BTW, check out this poll on Rush album sides:

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=10818&st=80

Yeah Goobs...I remember that poll.

I am just taking things a step further, and putting an actual bracket together so that we get a bunch of one-on-one matchups between sides.

As mentioned, the bracket was made using a bracket generator, so all matchups are random.

I will post the second matchup shortly.

I have to give side 1 of Signals the edge here. Side 1 of Counterparts is still good, though. Animate and Cut to the Chase are indeed strong tracks and two of my most favorites from Rush right now. The latter needs more love from the band, y'know? wink.gif Stick It Out and Nobody's Hero are ok, too, but they can't exactly compete with side 1 of Signals. Between Sun and Moon is all right, but it's kinda weak. I could never hate the song but never really love it, either. Subdivisions and Analog Kid alone are enough for me to choose over Counterparts side 1. Digital Man is fantastic and Chemistry is probably the weakest of the bunch but still good.

Counterparts side 1 for me. Four out five kick ass rockers (and Nobody's Hero is pretty good as well). As far as side 1 of Signals goes, I never really cared for Digital Man all that much and The Analog Kid while good I think tends be a tad overrated. Subdivisions is a classic and Chemistry is among my faves on the album.

I voted for Signals, but to be honest, "Chemistry" nearly caused me to vote the other way. Terrible song!

Despite Digital Man and Chemistry being two of the few Rush songs I don't listen to that much and CP side 1 being pretty strong, I had to go with Signals. Yes, Subdivisions and Analog Kid ARE that good!

Going to be an early exist for CP, side 1 I'm afraid sad.gif

This was really tough.. every one of those songs to me is excellent. But Subdivisions and AK give it to Signals 1 by a nose.

I wish Cp1 had gotten almost any other matchup in your voting, because (for example) I'd have easily voted it over HYF 1, which got my vote in your other bracket. Off the top of my head Cp1 is easily in my top 15 sides, but drew a buzzsaw matchup here.

Why are these so hard for me so far!??!??!?!

alright, signals.. That was a a bit easier actually, it's just that "Stick it out, Cut to the Chase, and Between Sun & Moon" are good songs.. But really, not much of a match in this case.

Chemistry sounded great when I was a teen, but not so good now, kinda cheesy. Digital Man is alright to good.

Analog Kid is a great song, but a bit overrated imo.

Subdivisions was my favorite for a long, long time, being a bass/synth player. But you know what, it's old hat for me the same way Tom Sawyer and Closer to the Heart are (not so for TSOR and FW).

So I went with Counterparts. On a desert island, they would sustain me for much longer than the 4 Signals songs would...

Minority, I know....

CP side 1 is near the tops for me when it comes to the newer albums. But, Signals kicks ass and gets my vote.

Archived