The Necromancer. Laughably bad

greg122

QUOTE (peoplecanteatmachinefood @ Aug 17 2010, 04:51 PM)
QUOTE (Kenneth @ Aug 17 2010, 02:18 PM)
QUOTE (greg122 @ Aug 17 2010, 11:11 AM)
just got through listening to it. what the frig were the boys thinking?

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj116/bmac0428/arbys.jpg

rofl3.gif

Win for Kenneth. applaudit.gif

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Aug 17 2010, 01:46 PM)
The narration is the only part that brings it down for me. Other than that I have no problem with the song.

A lot of people have gone into the fact that there brilliant parts of the song in spite of the narration. I even agree. I wish it was that simple for me.

There are times in a Rush song where there's a part I don't like, but I can forgive it in the larger context. A prime example is Cygnus X-1. I never liked the narration part in the beginning or Geddy screaming at the end, but at least both parts are somewhat brief and right at the beginning and end of the song, so I grit my teeth and get through them to hear the 9 or so minutes of awesomeness in between. Even still, I skip that song a LOT.

Often, however, when Rush uses some kind of gimmick, it ruins the whole thing for me. I can't listen to Roll the Bones - it starts off as a great song, but then the soul-destroying rap section is a bummer every time. It's long and it's right smack in the middle of the song. Similarly, the narration in The Necromancer is spread throughout, and it just blows the whole thing for me.

I am not going to get into just how stupid this thread is but I will say this:

We recently played a show of ALL of the epics the boys ever did. From every last note of Hemispheres, Fountain of Lamneth, Cygnus X-1 and all totally epic points in between and do you know what song got us the most praise?

Our album quality reproduction of The Necromancer. The song is still near and dear to all serious RUSH fans everywhere. If you don't get it --don't crap on it. Just break out your Vapor Trails disk and try to explain how that is so much better than the early years.

It ain't and that's that.

That song rocks from beginning to end. Play By-Tor before and we've got a party.

QUOTE (ChroniclesOfRush @ Aug 17 2010, 02:28 PM)
We recently played a show of ALL of the epics the boys ever did. From every last note of Hemispheres, Fountain of Lamneth, Cygnus X-1 and all totally epic points in between and do you know what song got us the most praise?

Our album quality reproduction of The Necromancer. The song is still near and dear to all serious RUSH fans everywhere.

Damn! My almost 30 years of listening and obsessing over Rush made me think I was a serious Rush fan, but alas, you have spoken, and as it turns out, I am wrong. Bummer. sad.gif

Well it was 1975. I don't think it is as cheesy as some of the other stuff that came out that year. As far as "What were they thinking?" I would be more apt to apply that phrase to what was going on in 1991.

QUOTE (Mara @ Aug 17 2010, 02:41 PM)
Is it just me looking at the past through rose-colored glasses, or was the general line-up of topics during the Snakes & Arrows years much superior to what this tour seems to be prompting?  confused13.gif

OLD TRF GOOD NEW TRF BAD

edit: in all seriousness, i agree. i think it's due to nick not having been active on trf for a while yes.gif

Greg "just got through listening to it"

and wonders "what the frig the boys were thinking"?

I suggest a couple more listens Greg........and then if you'd like to critique the 35 year old release-

At least you could speak with "some" knowledge of the the topic-

In the meanwhile,there are numerous Caress of Steel threads you might want to check out

I think it's pretty darned good, except for the narration. It's completely unnecessary; the story moves forward in an easy-to-understand way through the lyrics alone - the narration only says the same thing as the lyrics, so why does it need to be there?? confused13.gif

I've pieced it together without the narration, and the different parts blend together nicely, with one part flowing into another. The narration needs to be removed.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Aug 17 2010, 01:29 PM)
QUOTE (J0N @ Aug 17 2010, 02:23 PM)
As Goober said, the narration tars it a bit, but its got a lot of great sections, I much prefer it to a lot of the more modern stuff, anyway.

Yeah...like Alex completely RIPPING up the guitar.

'Under The Shadow' is one of the most intense pieces that they have ever played. We all wish Big Al was still shredding the guitar like that today! To call this 'laughable' is beyond ridiculous IMO.

yes.gif And Into Darkness is one of their most atmospheric.

"Ultimately they will become empty, mindless spectres. Stripped of will and soul, only a thirst for freedom gives them hunger for vengeance..."

I love classic Rush. When I really love a bands music, especially the peak years or classic years, I dont usually find any songs I dont like, I take the band's catalog for what it is: The best they could do at the time. I dont skip tracks, except for maybe the ones I hear too much on live recordings.

As for this song, I love it. Just as it is. Classic Rush from 1975.

QUOTE (crunch @ Aug 17 2010, 02:25 PM)
Second post!

Well...

I like Caress of Steel. Innocence, chops and boundless ideas. A heady mixture for '75/'76... Sure, not the greatest mix in the world, and I think the tape itself was beaten to death by too many passes, but without COS, there wouldn't be a 2112...

YMMV...

Good post!

I agree. I thought it was a great effort. They were kids! I think people forget that sometimes. That's one of the reasons I love 'The Necromancer'. How old were they? 23 or 4? Shit happening so fast with their career and touring constantly at that age? f**k me! I'd be smoking a metric shitload of pot too. They stood their ground and did what they wanted and made a pretty damn good album with 'Caress of Steel'. I think it's unfair to critique it too harshly, but that's just me. I know they're not 'Fall Out Boy', but come on man! Cut em' some slack!

Archived