Who do you people think you are???

vital signz

You know, I know many people love Rush----but what I do not understand is the unmitigated rudeness of those that feel that they can just wander up into the front rows at some point during the show and sqqqquuuuueeeeezzzzzeeeeee their way into the rows and crowd those that either were blessed enough to get incredible seats, or those that paid LOTS of money to get the seats. Its one thing if you want to change seats with someone for a while. That is no problem. What I have a big problem with is just wandering up into the rows and crowding those that are peacefully enjoying the show.

It makes my blood boil. All of a sudden you are holding on to your space and getting squeezed and pushed out of your "seat area" and it just sucks.

There are people on this board that do this. I have seen it repeatedly with my own eyes. You all know who you are and it is a shitty thing to do. I saw it again very very very recently.

Stop it.

Have respect for those that are around you. There is no excuse for it, and you are being a gigantic butthole when you do it. If you want to switch seats with those you know in the front row for a while do it, but stop getting into the space of others, which leads to security coming up to you during the show, and disrupting everyone around you. It is rude, unthoughtful, and disrespectful.

Stop it.

Well, I can pitch in with my two cents and tell you what I "think" the problem may be.

Many people get carried away at concerts, which is totally understandable. After all, we as an audience all have one thing in common: We love the band to some extent, or we wouldn't be there.

But what you have to understand is that you have to look at it through the eyes of a frequent concert-goer. Do you attend many different types of concerts on a regular basis? Ever been to a heavy metal concert? If so, you would see the goings-on there.

There is no seating; there's a floor area where anyone is free to move about.. NOT seating like at a Rush show.

The problem starts with this very crucial difference. The rude "shovers" are the ones that go to concerts ALL the time and are used to standing floors, and see the need to push through everyone to get to the stage, because, hey.... it's a hard rock concert! But they fail to realize that this isn't general admission... it's RESERVED SEATING.

It' totally rude, disrespectful, and in my honest opinion, an act of a poser. If you're THAT close to the stage to be abe to shove to begin with (such as the third or fourth row from the stage), you should be staying in your area. Why waste a good thing by moving a row or two closer when you risk ejection from the facility? Is it really worth it?

Anyways, sorry that happened to you.. and I'm sorry for the rant lol. Just my two cents.

I'm not afraid to admit that if I can get in the front row, or move to a better row than the seats I have, I'm going!!!

But I'll only move to an empty seat.

I usually try to get good seats, first five rows is what I prefer but who doesn't. There is nothing more tempting, or nothing that drives me more crazy than seeing an empty seat IN FRONT OF ME!!! And I'm in the first 5 rows!!! Where are these people who hold these tickets and why aren't they at the show??!!!

My idea is, if there is an empty seat in front of me...I'm taking it. I always wait to make sure nobody is sitting there by watching the seat throughout the show and if nobody ever shows up, by halfway through the first set or at intermission, I take that seat.

The last show I attended (Jacksonville in '08) I had 7th row, and two rows in front of me where 2 empty seats so halfway through the first set I moved up. Nobody minded, I asked the people around me if it was OK and noone complained. So I stayed there....until a few minutes later I noticed 2 more seats empty in the 3RD ROW (???!!!)....So up I went to those seats, and again not a soul complained.

In West Palm in '07 I had third row way to left side, and in the front row were empty seats...that's right front row, 4 of 'em in a row!!!! They were empty because the for some reason these seats were reserved for people in wheel chairs and deaf people. The people in wheel chairs weren't sitting in the empty seats for obvious reasons, and the deaf people where standing in front of the person signing. So I moved up and asked a guy in a wheel chair if I could have have his seat and he was more than generous saying something like "f*ck yeah dude I ain't usin' it!!"

Now I understand the gripe in the thread is people who crowd you out of your seat....I hate that I won't do it and I've had people do it to me and it sucks. But I see nothing wrong with moving up a couple of rows to fill an empty seat. Moving up like 20 or 30 to a new price range of tickets is another story. I don't want anyone near me who paid 10 bucks for a seat while I paid 100.

I've worked with a friend to simultaneously share a front row seat. In this case, there ends up being an artifical "Row 1.5", with one person standing in front of the other. This usually works well because there is enough room to do so between the rail and the seats. Plus, you're not squeezing anyone this way.

But, that's a completely different situation from forcing yourself onto strangers. And, granted, sometimes security will see right through it!

After intermission, Different Strings and I found ourselves back in our front row "seats" not only moved down a good 3-4 spots, but yes, squished. It was annoying.

Most recently, I was back a bit for the last show on July 23, an aisle seat, and people just kept walking down the aisle -- and standing there! Guards kept having to move them back. Look, I want to be close too but tough cookies.

QUOTE (Prime Mover and Shaker @ Aug 16 2010, 10:31 AM)
I've worked with a friend to simultaneously share a front row seat. In this case, there ends up being an artifical "Row 1.5", with one person standing in front of the other. This usually works well because there is enough room to do so between the rail and the seats. Plus, you're not squeezing anyone this way.

But, that's a completely different situation from forcing yourself onto strangers. And, granted, sometimes security will see right through it!

How does that work though? Don't ushers check your tickets before getting to your seat and notice one of you is "without ticket"?

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Aug 16 2010, 09:10 AM)
QUOTE (Prime Mover and Shaker @ Aug 16 2010, 10:31 AM)
I've worked with a friend to simultaneously share a front row seat.  In this case, there ends up being an artifical "Row 1.5", with one person standing in front of the other.  This usually works well because there is enough room to do so between the rail and the seats.  Plus, you're not squeezing anyone this way.

But, that's a completely different situation from forcing yourself onto strangers.  And, granted, sometimes security will see right through it!

How does that work though? Don't ushers check your tickets before getting to your seat and notice one of you is "without ticket"?

Yes, in theory, they do.

I just got lucky in Vegas. Pure and simple luck - there were three of us, and two had 2nd row tickets. The usher we dealt with checked one ticket, took a cursory glance at the second, and said "you three all together"? We said "Yes", and then he turned his attention to the next group of folks. So, I guess I ended up in row 2.5 in Vegas (1.5 was Toronto 2008).

In my experience, you get your ticket checked in Vegas at more points along the way to your seat than at any other venue. And, I legitimatley passed every checkpoint except the last one (where I illegitimately passed).

Had this plan not worked, or had anyone complained, I would have gladly enjoyed the show from my original seats (floor, 18th row, not too bad at all).

I like being close, but I really don't want to do so at the expense of someone else's enjoyment who has purchased a ticket near where I am trying to be.

I'm not a very "ballsy" person this way. During intermission, I clung to my seat, and started to sweat when one of the ushers came over to talk to me. But, we just ended up talking about, of all things, orthotics ( laugh.gif ).

I think that some venues tend to be a bit lax.

The New England venues are strict-to-the-core!!!. . . Especially with the front rows!

We can only move down to empties WITHIN our section. There are guards on every aisle and for every section. Front row gets a wrist-bracelet, usually. And you can always grab a guard and "rat" to check tickets. They are a pain with cameras and smoking sometimes, but they are quick to assist when you ask.

We usually see RUSH at Mohegan Sun, CT . . . Comcast Center, Mansfield, MA (Great Woods) . . . Boston Garden.

T & I are working extra jobs and eating dandelions to pay for our front row this year. I believe if anyone tries to squeeze me out after all this work and stress, they should have a will secured in their lawyer's office!

So let it be written . . .

Hare biggrin.gif

QUOTE (vital signz @ Aug 15 2010, 11:36 PM)
You know, I know many people love Rush----but what I do not understand is the unmitigated rudeness of those that feel that they can just wander up into the front rows at some point during the show and sqqqquuuuueeeeezzzzzeeeeee their way into the rows and crowd those that either were blessed enough to get incredible seats, or those that paid LOTS of money to get the seats. Its one thing if you want to change seats with someone for a while. That is no problem. What I have a big problem with is just wandering up into the rows and crowding those that are peacefully enjoying the show.

It makes my blood boil. All of a sudden you are holding on to your space and getting squeezed and pushed out of your "seat area" and it just sucks.

There are people on this board that do this. I have seen it repeatedly with my own eyes. You all know who you are and it is a shitty thing to do. I saw it again very very very recently.

Stop it.

Have respect for those that are around you. There is no excuse for it, and you are being a gigantic butthole when you do it. If you want to switch seats with those you know in the front row for a while do it, but stop getting into the space of others, which leads to security coming up to you during the show, and disrupting everyone around you. It is rude, unthoughtful, and disrespectful.

Stop it.

Just have security verify their tickets next time. Security should be able to kick their asses outta there on the spot if their tickets aren't in the front row. wink.gif assholes... new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Tortoise and Hare @ Aug 16 2010, 01:06 PM)
I think that some venues tend to be a bit lax.

The New England venues are strict-to-the-core!!!. . . Especially with the front rows!

We can only move down to empties WITHIN our section. There are guards on every aisle and for every section. Front row gets a wrist-bracelet, usually. And you can always grab a guard and "rat" to check tickets. They are a pain with cameras and smoking sometimes, but they are quick to assist when you ask.

We usually see RUSH at Mohegan Sun, CT . . . Comcast Center, Mansfield, MA (Great Woods) . . . Boston Garden.

T & I are working extra jobs and eating dandelions to pay for our front row this year. I believe if anyone tries to squeeze me out after all this work and stress, they should have a will secured in their lawyer's office!

So let it be written . . .

Hare biggrin.gif

That's the way it should be!

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Aug 16 2010, 03:14 PM)
QUOTE (vital signz @ Aug 15 2010, 11:36 PM)
You know, I know many people love Rush----but what I do not understand is the unmitigated rudeness of those that feel that they can just wander up into the front rows at some point during the show and sqqqquuuuueeeeezzzzzeeeeee their way into the rows and crowd those that either were blessed enough to get incredible seats, or those that paid LOTS of money to get the seats.  Its one thing if you want to change seats with someone for a while.  That is no problem.  What I have a big problem with is just wandering up into the rows and crowding those that are peacefully enjoying the show.

It makes my blood boil.  All of a sudden you are holding on to your space and getting squeezed and pushed out of your "seat area" and it just sucks.

There are people on this board that do this.  I have seen it repeatedly with my own eyes.  You all know who you are and it is a shitty thing to do.  I saw it again very very very recently.

Stop it.

Have respect for those that are around you.  There is no excuse for it, and you are being a gigantic butthole when you do it.  If you want to switch seats with those you know in the front row for a while do it, but stop getting into the space of others, which leads to security coming up to you during the show, and disrupting everyone around you.  It is rude, unthoughtful, and disrespectful.

Stop it.

Just have security verify their tickets next time. Security should be able to kick their asses outta there on the spot if their tickets aren't in the front row. wink.gif assholes... new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Thing is, you shouldn't have to divert your attention from the performance to ask security to start checking tickets. It needs to be done any time people are trying to access the front row.

I got to see Big Brother's Cheap Thrills tour in '68 at age 13 and that lit the fuse - and it's still burning! I have no idea how many shows I've seen but I do know that I've never squeezed a person that has paid for a reserved seat. It's disrespectful and rude to the concert goers and the band that sees security dealing with it instead of the happy faces they are trying to make happen. Stay in your seat.

Its happened to me many times. I had pit tix for Lollapalooza (back when it was awesome) and by the end of the night, the 'pit' was jam packed with fo lks that didn't belong. By that point, security has given up. I could never do that but some folks make it a point to buy lawn tix and shove their way to the front. I hate to admit that I SOLD my 5th row Vegas tix because I DIDN'T WANT TO DEAL WITH THIS KIND OF CRAP! The closer it got to the concert, the more I didn't want to blow $700 just to have some yayhoo with a $55 ticket elbow his way next to me. I just wasn't going to have it. I'll wait for the DVD or the next leg of the tour. The wife and I had a great time in Vegas though!! It was cool to see Rush shirts on folks EVERYWHERE you went Fri and Sat!

QUOTE (Skin Bag @ Aug 19 2010, 02:53 AM)
I like Neil's idea of having a revolving floor where the first 20 rows rotates throughout the evening.

Wouldn't do a bit of good - the crashers are still going to try to cheat it. Because, y'know, they're SPESHUL and DESERVE to be up there. In fact, they deserve it much more than the people who sold a kidney for that front row experience. sarcasm.gif

I have 3rd row orchestra and both of my kidneys. I'll stay put and enjoy it and not whine about not being up front.

If they're taking open seats that either werent sold or the people left, then I dont have a problem with it at all. Ive seen people do that and it doesnt bother me.

If you're talking about them stealing someone's seat, then yeah that's not cool. But if the seats are open, I dont get why it would be a concern of yours.

If security were to kick people out of the venue instead of back to the proper seat then maybe people would stop. I can say this since I work in security. DO YOUR JOBS!! smile.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Aug 19 2010, 09:49 AM)
If they're taking open seats that either werent sold or the people left, then I dont have a problem with it at all. Ive seen people do that and it doesnt bother me.

If you're talking about them stealing someone's seat, then yeah that's not cool. But if the seats are open, I dont get why it would be a concern of yours.

I think the main complaint is the front row getting awfully crowded with people who don't belong there.

No - if someone spots a seat that is clearly unoccupied, I have no issue with that person staking a claim to it. Those seats are priced the same as the ones 40 rows back.