Who do you people think you are???

vital signz

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my problem. I'm sure Rushgirl is a nice girl, no one is disputing that (at least not with me) In fact, when I see pictures of her with her plates, I always smile because she's living the dream. The problem is people shelled out a ton of money for their front row seats, or even the close rows. Just because 90% of the time you pay for your front row seat does not mean you're entitled to ALWAYS be in the front row. I'm normally close at concerts, too. I just like to be close. At Germain Ampitheatre in 2007 I was sixth row, Geddy's side. I couldn't drop a huge wad of bills this time to get close seats. So I was not close. Was I a little bummed about it? Of course. Did I suck it up and have a blast at the seats I had? Of course. It's not just about crowding someone (which is a huge problem because they paid a lot of money to be there and enjoy the concert). She may not have been crowding anyone at all. But the principle of the matter is she didn't pay for front row seats this time around. So sometimes you just need to suck it up and deal with what you got. I would have loved to been front row. How about next time everyone just sneaks up to the front row? Since its no problem, I guess everyone can do it.

Switching seats is a whole nother issue. If someone wants to switch seats with you for a few songs or a set or however long, that's peaches and cream. But to just come up and get in the front row without have paid for it is just not right. IMO

Not trying to stir anyone up. Just giving my honest opinion on the matter.

QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ Sep 1 2010, 12:36 PM)
Here's my problem. I'm sure Rushgirl is a nice girl, no one is disputing that (at least not with me) In fact, when I see pictures of her with her plates, I always smile because she's living the dream. The problem is people shelled out a ton of money for their front row seats, or even the close rows. Just because 90% of the time you pay for your front row seat does not mean you're entitled to ALWAYS be in the front row. I'm normally close at concerts, too. I just like to be close. At Germain Ampitheatre in 2007 I was sixth row, Geddy's side. I couldn't drop a huge wad of bills this time to get close seats. So I was not close. Was I a little bummed about it? Of course. Did I suck it up and have a blast at the seats I had? Of course. It's not just about crowding someone (which is a huge problem because they paid a lot of money to be there and enjoy the concert). She may not have been crowding anyone at all. But the principle of the matter is she didn't pay for front row seats this time around. So sometimes you just need to suck it up and deal with what you got. I would have loved to been front row. How about next time everyone just sneaks up to the front row? Since its no problem, I guess everyone can do it.
Switching seats is a whole nother issue. If someone wants to switch seats with you for a few songs or a set or however long, that's peaches and cream. But to just come up and get in the front row without have paid for it is just not right. IMO

Best post. I 100% agree.

QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ Sep 1 2010, 11:36 AM)

Very well stated. Sit where you bought.

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Sep 1 2010, 11:39 AM)

Best post. I 100% agree.

Me too.

I say this from experience. And VS and RR were there when this happened.

At Cinci on the S & A tour, when I got the pick...first, I tried just sneaking up from 2nd row and getting cozy. No dice. I could tell it was too crowded, so I went back.

THEN, someone offered to SWITCH seats - his for mine, for a while. That's totally different.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Sep 1 2010, 11:47 AM)

goodpost.gif

Your sig is another picture that I always smile at. Maybe someday....

QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ Sep 1 2010, 11:51 AM)
QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Sep 1 2010, 11:47 AM)

goodpost.gif

Your sig is another picture that I always smile at. Maybe someday....

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Rush1 @ Aug 16 2010, 04:31 PM)
I agree....

In Vegas, they checked everyone trying to go to the floor, or to the front...no ticket no go...

Not everyone at every "checking post". I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to get to row 2 (I had purchased row 18).

But it was a lark; there were 3 of us walking down there, and we all got checked, at every post, except the one up front, where the other two got checked, but not me.

QUOTE (Rushgirl @ Sep 1 2010, 10:02 AM)
I will chime in here.

Yes, I did go to the front in Vegas for 10 minutes - knew a friend up there!
Yes I did go up in Columbus for the 2nd half (my friend let me stay)

No one else but YOU complains, if I was encroaching on someones space and they had an issue, of course I would leave.

Everyone around me was friendly and not pissed off.

I pay for my front row tickets 90% of the time, 2 times this tour I have not...........

Jealousy rears it`s ugly head here on TRF..........

Next time you go to a show, let me know where your seats are (I will assume front row since you buy them 90% of the time). I'll buy lawn tickets and just come down and squeeze right in on you. In fact, everyone remember that this isn't a big deal to Rushgirl and we can all sit in the front row around her.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Sep 1 2010, 12:42 PM)
QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Sep 1 2010, 11:39 AM)

Best post. I 100% agree.

Me too.

I say this from experience. And VS and RR were there when this happened.

At Cinci on the S & A tour, when I got the pick...first, I tried just sneaking up from 2nd row and getting cozy. No dice. I could tell it was too crowded, so I went back.

THEN, someone offered to SWITCH seats - his for mine, for a while. That's totally different.

Absolutely!!!!!!!!

Michelle was sitting second row...She and I said hello because I recognized her from her photos here...and Mike. She was so excited as we all were!

My friend was next to me and saw Michelle's enthusiasm, and he wanted her to sit up front for some songs to get close to Neil and Alex as possible. He asked her to switch seats for a few songs and that is how friendships work.....at least in my opinion. She is probably the biggest Rush fan! Her enthusiasm showed itself to Alex enough to the point where he wanted her to have his pick...It was an awesome moment! What a Rush!

We were all happy for her and no one was inconvenienced, and it's great to share a great seat with people you are friends or friendly with.

I just hope that Rushgirl understands that this isn't a personal attack on her. I am making this point to anyone who would do what she does. It does not matter who the person is. If I was her friend I would offer her to switch with me for a few songs, not a whole set! I would not inconvenience those around me my asking her or anyone to share 2 square feet with me for 1and 1/2 hours.

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Sep 1 2010, 12:39 PM)

Best post. I 100% agree.

Pretty much what I said, and agree. Some people just have a sense of entitlement that gets ridiculous.

FWIW, and I know this doesn't happen all the time - folks can share a seat; I've done this a few times (including Vegas this year).

In fact, in Toronto once ('08, I believe), I basically ended up doing this with Rushgirl (who is awesome) and a few others. It wasn't planned, but that's sometimes what happens.

In some venues, there is enough room for two folks (one behind the other) in any given row, or sometimes just the front row.

So, in Toronto in '08, I alternated between row 1 and row "1.5".

Similarly, in Vegas, I saw the show from row "2.5".

No one really gets crowded sideways when this happens. ...and, the folks who are in the rows behind you are still the same distance from the stage.

Granted, I've only done this twice out of the 15 or so Rush shows I've seen - all the rest were seen from the seat I had on my ticket.

I figure that, if you and I both paid for a ticket, and yours says front row, then you have more right to be there than I do, and I'll gladly leave if asked.

But, if a friend makes room for me, and it has basically no effect on you, I don't feel too bad about it.

If you paid more than face value for front row... well, your decision - that has nothing to do with me.

offtopic, but...

why do folks support scalpers and pay hundreds and even thousands of $$$ to see their fav band?

i'm a big fan of live music and love to be right up front, however, i still cannot bring myself to support the scalping industry. just seems wrong on many levels.

sure miss the days when we waited in line for hours to buy tickets, then would camp out against the venue doors waiting for them to open, then ran as fast as our legs could take us to the stage railing, then made our stand to stay stage front the entire show to feel the sweat that dripped from our fav musicians as we nurtured the symbiotic relationship we all so craved.

no scalpers could ever put a price on those experiences. not for me, anyway.

the world has changed and i am becoming a fossil.

though when reading discussion threads such as this one, it seems that this fossil enjoys shows from back-of-the-front-line with very little distracting drama brought on by scalpers and the super-fans.

QUOTE (summer_sky @ Sep 1 2010, 12:15 PM)

i'm a big fan of live music and love to be right up front, however, i still cannot bring myself to support the scalping industry. just seems wrong on many levels.

goodpost.gif Scalpers Suck

I squeezed in at Molson Amp in Toronto, and proud of it. I'll never get that close to the band in my life ever again.

No one around me gave a shit, and if they did I'd offer them professional photos of the band I just took... problem solved.

As a matter of fact, stranger beside me gave me a beer. laugh.gif

FWIW... I would rather see RushGirl up front rocking her butt off because she is a true hard core fan. VS the 15 or so "contest winners" or "my dad is the lawyer for the venue" types who get front row and have no idea who the band is, and are just texting and getting beer during the whole show, not knowing a single song. I'm sure the band enjoys seeing super huge fans enjoying them selves up front as well. My $.02. smile.gif

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Sep 1 2010, 10:19 AM)
I squeezed in at Molson Amp in Toronto, and proud of it. I'll never get that close to the band in my life ever again.

No one around me gave a shit, and if they did I'd offer them professional photos of the band I just took... problem solved.

As a matter of fact, stranger beside me gave me a beer. laugh.gif

Dude, you knew who I was.

And that wasn't beer - I just didn't want to give up my primo seat to go attend to the call of nature.

Great post. I agree. Sit in the properly assigned seat. If a seat is empty, well maybe that's one thing...but to invade someone's space at the show for your own personal benefit is just uncivil. if you want to sit somewhere - obtain the proper ticket. No one wants to be negatively distracted while slappin' the bass.

QUOTE (Prime Mover and Shaker @ Sep 1 2010, 01:28 PM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Sep 1 2010, 10:19 AM)
I squeezed in at Molson Amp in Toronto, and proud of it.  I'll never get that close to the band in my life ever again.

As a matter of fact, stranger beside me gave me a beer.  laugh.gif

Dude, you knew who I was.

And that wasn't beer - I just didn't want to give up my primo seat to go attend to the call of nature.

That's ok, I enjoy American beer every so often too.

QUOTE (JackRelax @ Sep 1 2010, 01:19 PM)
FWIW... I would rather see RushGirl up front rocking her butt off because she is a true hard core fan. VS the 15 or so "contest winners" or "my dad is the lawyer for the venue" types who get front row and have no idea who the band is, and are just texting and getting beer during the whole show, not knowing a single song. I'm sure the band enjoys seeing super huge fans enjoying them selves up front as well. My $.02. smile.gif

VS is hardly a contest winner. He is a hard core fan who works hard for the money he shells out for front row.

And I highly doubt the band would support a free for all to the front row nor woudl I imagine they would support the act of walking down and taking a seat that you didn't pay for and didn't have permission to sit in.

QUOTE (JackRelax @ Sep 1 2010, 12:19 PM)

Funny you say that. I went to Mohegan Sun in july and had floor seats. During the break i decided to find MULTIPLIED REACTION who i saw right before the first set walk past me. So i get all the way to the first row. Pretty cool. I am talking with a father and his son and i asked him " Is anyone sitting here ?" He said "No, have a seat" We talked until the lights went out and i swear most of the first 2 rows were Empty . So i am in the front jammin to the Moving Pictures . After Limelight i get a Tap on the shoulder ,security ask's me where my seats are . I pointed behind him and he told me to leave. I said " are you kidding me? No one is sitting here . He then got on his radio as if to scare me . The father i was talking with says to me "Sit next to us" but i was already walking past with the asshat security behind me . When i told Tick and daveyt about it after the show they just laughed . If a seat is open, take it just don't sit in somebody's seat when they are sitting in it laugh.gif For the record Rushgirl is a nice chick , we met on the S&A tour