Equilibrium

kazzman

QUOTE (kazzman @ Apr 13 2005, 06:22 PM)
Anybody else seen this film? I just saw it last night and I loved it.

Yeah, I saw it a few months ago. Very 1984esque, I thought. Overall, it was a good film, but I had some problems with the symbolism - I think it could have been made more subtle.

Have you seen The Thirteenth Floor and Dark City?

QUOTE (kazzman @ Apr 13 2005, 07:22 PM)

Sounds interesting.. is it out on DVD yet?

Oh, and Dark City is excellent.

Yes, it's been out on dvd for a year or so now.

I thought it was great, need to watch it again.

I knew about it 2 years before I ever saw it because I'm a big Christian Bale fan, and I wasn't dissappointed. It has some weak spots to be sure, but there are moments where the tension is so powerful you're sitting there thinking, "Bejus! How's he gonna get out of this?"

Loved it overall, but my main beef was that the ending was a tad anti-climatic for me. But I give the writers a bit of a pass because I don't think it's obvious how to create a good closure for that story-line.

Rent it. Make popcorn. Get cozy. Then come back here and tell us what you think.

cool.gif

Schro

QUOTE (Schro @ Apr 14 2005, 12:36 PM)

Rent it. Make popcorn. Get cozy. Then come back here and tell us what you think.

cool.gif

Schro

Would an "attitude adjustment" be appropriate for this movie?

Actually, more than anything it reminds me of Fahrenheit 451, both the book and the motion picture.

Unfortunately, a certain director of pop documentaries exploited that title for commercial gain, thus tainting its former connotations.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Apr 14 2005, 04:16 PM)

Rent it.  Make popcorn.  Get cozy.  Then come back here and tell us what you think.

cool.gif

Schro

I suppose an attitude adjustment, if I understand you correctly, would be a good start.

/rant on

Some would classify "Equilibrium" as science fiction - it is set in the future and creates a world that is foreign to us.

But the themes are something I think we can identify with strongly, despite the story being unrealistic.

I like the poster above who said it had parallels to 2112. Does one need an "attitude adjustment" for 2112? Consider:

Would any of us honestly pretend that there could ever be a time where music was banned, and then rediscovered? Certainly not. But if we allow the author (Neil, in this case) some latitude that it might happen, than we can appreciate the other elements he was trying to deliver to us, learning about the human spirit, it's potential, it's sorrow, and how much music means to us that perhaps we take for granted.

Movies to me are always riding a paradox. We know they are fiction, but at the same time we expect a certain sense of realism and plausability, an undercurrent of truth. Some people will walk out of a theatre and complain, "there's no way that could happen - I hated that movie."

Some movies need more "suspension of disbelief" than others, depending on the world they are trying to create. If you criticize a movie for being unrealistic, I think you also have to ask yourself, "Did the writer want us to think this aspect of the movie would be realistic?" Sometimes the writer purposely makes parts of it's movie unplausable, in order to better deliver it's main theme or themes. Unfortunately, this is lost on some people, who only focus in on parts they couldn't swallow, and don't realize those unrealistic elements were just devices towards the movie's theme.

I agree it's a fine line, and that if nothing or very little in a film rings true than it will rightfully fall flat on it's face.

I think movies can be criticized or praised like art. The best criterion for art I've heard are two questions:

1) What was the artist trying to do?

2) How successful was the artist in doing what he set out to do?

/rant off

cool.gif

Schro

QUOTE (Schro @ Apr 15 2005, 04:50 PM)
QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Apr 14 2005, 04:16 PM)

Rent it.  Make popcorn.  Get cozy.  Then come back here and tell us what you think.

cool.gif

Schro

I suppose an attitude adjustment, if I understand you correctly, would be a good start.

/rant on

Some would classify "Equilibrium" as science fiction - it is set in the future and creates a world that is foreign to us.

But the themes are something I think we can identify with strongly, despite the story being unrealistic.

I like the poster above who said it had parallels to 2112. Does one need an "attitude adjustment" for 2112? Consider:

Would any of us honestly pretend that there could ever be a time where music was banned, and then rediscovered? Certainly not. But if we allow the author (Neil, in this case) some latitude that it might happen, than we can appreciate the other elements he was trying to deliver to us, learning about the human spirit, it's potential, it's sorrow, and how much music means to us that perhaps we take for granted.

Movies to me are always riding a paradox. We know they are fiction, but at the same time we expect a certain sense of realism and plausability, an undercurrent of truth. Some people will walk out of a theatre and complain, "there's no way that could happen - I hated that movie."

Some movies need more "suspension of disbelief" than others, depending on the world they are trying to create. If you criticize a movie for being unrealistic, I think you also have to ask yourself, "Did the writer want us to think this aspect of the movie would be realistic?" Sometimes the writer purposely makes parts of it's movie unplausable, in order to better deliver it's main theme or themes. Unfortunately, this is lost on some people, who only focus in on parts they couldn't swallow, and don't realize those unrealistic elements were just devices towards the movie's theme.

I agree it's a fine line, and that if nothing or very little in a film rings true than it will rightfully fall flat on it's face.

I think movies can be criticized or praised like art. The best criterion for art I've heard are two questions:

1) What was the artist trying to do?

2) How successful was the artist in doing what he set out to do?

/rant off

cool.gif

Schro

*zzzzzzzzzzzppppppppppppppppppppppttttttttttttttt

*the sound of pedro's post going over schro's head........

LOL Pedro. Wouldn't be the first time haha.

I think I just felt like ranting on that subject and used your post as means to that end - my humblest apologies.

cool.gif

Schro

P.S. What then, did you mean by "attitude adjustment"?

QUOTE (Schro @ Apr 16 2005, 03:46 PM)

P.S. What then, did you mean by "attitude adjustment"?

Adjusting one's perspective with the help of external factors.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Apr 17 2005, 03:37 PM)
QUOTE (Schro @ Apr 16 2005, 03:46 PM)

P.S.  What then, did you mean by "attitude adjustment"?

Adjusting one's perspective with the help of external factors.

in that case...

No, an attitude adjustment isn't necessary.

QUOTE (kazzman @ Apr 13 2005, 06:22 PM)

Funny you should mention that here, kazz. I just responded to your Batman thread and referenced this movie in regards to Christian Bale. I loved it. I saw it first about a year ago and have seen it three times since. It's a great hard sci-fi picture and very moving just like good sci-fi should be. I also thought that Christian Bale and Emily Watson had great chemistry. Taye Diggs was also very fine as Bale's partner. A great story, great acting, and a very moving storyline. Thanks for mentioning this very fine film.

I really enjoyed this movie. Saw it about a month ago.

I thought the theme, a world religion that tries to suppress all human

emotion, was very thought provoking. I thought the action was dynamite.

When sir monk bad ass spun those two shotguns around and blew those

two emotion police's faces off. Oh my! Now that's a attitude adjustment

for ya.

But with all due respect, I think a more effective way to get people not to

feel is to over simulate them so the real world seems boring. You know,

enough is never enough. Could this be happening in our world?

Plus, more and more, society today encourages the use of a pill to

smooth out our emotions. I feel our emotions are signals to what's going

on in side of us. Quash your emotions and you don't have to face your

"demons". But having said that, sometimes, it seems, an "attitude adjustment" is what it takes to get you thru the night. cool10.gif

A very good flick. Give it a 8.9

wow, just saw this movie..

LOVED it!! yes.gif

i loved the recurring line, "tread softly, because you tread on my dreams.."

a lot like The Matrix, IMO. especially the main character..the acting was a LOT like the main character in The Matrix! cool.gif

great movie. smile.gif