The Doctor Who thread.

The Owl

^ I agree about Missy. While I loved her, I wish that after her first story they would have just called her The Master, rather than Missy. It made sense for her first season, because it was a surprise, but after that, calling her Missy made it a bit easy to think of her as a different character, even while knowing she wasn't.

As for the rest, while you state doubts, at least you show an open mind and a willingness to give her a shot. Too many people are just writing off as if the the Beeb just killed Doctor Who.

And I agree with your line about it being an inevitability...I don't get why a lot of people I've read are so shocked...I think I would have been more shocked if another guy had been cast...just like I was when Capaldi was cast. Everyone was being so positive that the 12th Doctor was going to be female or a minority, that the most shocking thing was to cast someone in their 50's (after a couple of young Doctors)

In fairness, Missy was introduced with the intention to fool the audience, and therefore she was intentionally given characteristics that didn't scream 'Master'. That worked for the moment, but long term it hurts the progression. When at her most devious she seemed very much the Master to me, and I had no issue, but I wonder if it's the intentional misdirect that might make people see a difference (along with the tease that she might become 'caring'). The Doctor wants that of course, but by seeming to succeed even in part she becomes different again.

But when she was devious and vicious she seemed spot on.

As to the Doctor, there are no masculine characteristics I feel are part of the character. In fact, with such a wide variety of personalities I don't agree that there were seamless transitions. 1 to 2 was quite different, and 5 to 6 was a striking difference. Unless they play up some unfortunate trope (like suddenly needing a man or crushing on some guy or something rarely Doctor like, I don't expect a problem. If she's vague, secretive, a bit quick to use others, and full of buried stress and knowledge vastly superior to her companions, she'll be great.

• Like 3

RIP to another Doctor Who companion :rose:

Deborah Watling, who played Victoria Waterford in the 1960s, starring alongside second Doctor Patrick Troughton, has died at the age of 69.

Her death followed a short battle with lung cancer, after she was diagnosed with the illness just six weeks ago.

RIP :rose: :(

d53f4123977d50041273289fb8419e55.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40684318

Deborah Watling, who played Victoria Waterford in the 1960s, starring alongside second Doctor Patrick Troughton, has died at the age of 69.

Her death followed a short battle with lung cancer, after she was diagnosed with the illness just six weeks ago.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-40684318

I didn't start watching until Tom Baker but this is sad. :( :rose:

• Like 1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40684318

Aw.... :( :rose:

Damn, another one. I had only JUST finished watching Tomb of the Cybermen story as well for the first time. She was a doll. Watching Ark in Space now with Elisabeth of course... :(

• Like 1

Damn, another one. I had only JUST finished watching Tomb of the Cybermen story as well for the first time. She was a doll. Watching Ark in Space now with Elisabeth of course... :(

Yeah, it's sad. I still can't believe Caroline John and Mary Tamm are both gone, too :(

It's good to see you back around these parts, anyway, Steevo :hi:

• Like 1

Check it out. Hank Marvin has recorded an arrangement of the Doctor Who theme :LOL: :guitar:

It's on his latest album

• Like 2

Yuor_Lnio, have you ever heard some music like What If Pink Floyd Did Doctor Who, What If Tangerine Dream Did Doctor Who, What If Vangelis Did Doctor Who, What If John Carpenter Did Doctor Who, What If Kraftwerk Did Doctor Who..? They're on Youtube and pretty good.

As well as the usual Christmas lights, this year our village has a TARDIS!

JS138676783.jpg

Obviously in honour of the fact that the upcoming Doctor, Jodie Whitaker, was born and raised in the village, some mystery people have got together and had this awesome model specially built and placed on the side of the street. I couldn't believe it when I first saw it!!! :yay:

• Like 2

JS138676783.jpg

Obviously in honour of the fact that the upcoming Doctor, Jodie Whitaker, was born and raised in the village, some mystery people have got together and had this awesome model specially built and placed on the side of the street. I couldn't believe it when I first saw it!!! :yay:

Did you try to open it?

• Like 1

JS138676783.jpg

Did you try to open it?

I tried but I couldn't get in :LOL: Looks like I don't get to be the new companion
  • Like 1

Being skeptical of the casting of a female Doctor, I've got to say, Jodie is nailing it. She's got the frantic energy, the commanding expertise, and the pattering dialogue down to a science already. I'm pleasantly surprised by her interpretation of the Doctor, staying true to the character, in circumstances that may wrongmindedly advance the temptation to over-trailblaze.

In terms of look, the show has definitely stepped up production values. The premier was a little dark for my taste, but the Ghost Monument was really beautiful. I hope the bigger budgets and new influx of attention don't drive them to be too daring. I can't help but worry that the glitzy new appearance of the show will come crashing down the moment some bad CGI or Nerf-costumed alien makes an appearance; but for now, its looks nice.

The writing needs to reel it in. They would benefit from a less packed approach. They really seem to be overloading these episodes, to the point that they become a little hard to follow. I really don't like how they've called back to events that transpired off-screen or over the commercial break ('oh yea, while you were in the kitchen grabbing a soda, I diffused those bombs')... I get that unseen details help to drive suspense toward a big reveal, but I think a more straightforward approach would benefit them. These new TV seasons are short, and I'm fearing that their ambition will overflow the confines of time allowed.

All in all, it's a promising first two episodes- take the good with the bad. I'm in for more.

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 2

I've loved the season so far. I thought she was great in Broadchurch and expected good things. No disappointment at all.

The episodes have lacked subtlety, but I figure they sacrificed a bit of nuance in order to stake out what this show will be. I imagine now that the characters (other than the cop-in-training) have been fleshed out a bit the heavy-handedness will shift away to more complex narratives.

Right now, I'm a big fan of what's happening. Jody is absolutely perfect as the Doctor.

• Like 1

I'm loving it. Jodie is great!

After the first episode I posted on Facebook, "She made a Sonic Screwdriver out of spoons!" With a love heart-smiley as a background.

:dweez:

• Like 3

I think she's doing even better considering she didn't seem to know much about the show prior to taking on the roll. Capaldi and Tennant were super fans and did enormously well. I loved Jodie in Broadchurch and Black Mirror and she's definitely bringing it. The only thing we have to worry about now is Chibnall. He has a less than stellar writing history. But it'd be pretty hard to get an episode ending as bad as Hell Bent or Kill the Moon