The Doctor Who thread.

The Owl

Doctor Who - 1970-1981

All of the Doctors up to Davison for many diff reasons...TB wins out...I know you like that Gummidge guy quite a bit :madra:

Aye!

I'm going to be watching all those old adventures soon, well ALL the Pertwee and Tom Baker ones plus some Troughton ones, and the Peter Cushing films. I have them all on DVD now. I haven't watched them since the first time I saw them back in the day so that'll be fun.

• Like 2

My favorite doctors are 7 and 12.

The writing wasn't great during McCoy's era, but he balanced an impish humor with an ominous cunning and mastermindry. Sylvester McCoy would've been amazing if he had been around during the prime era of Doctor Who storytelling.

Capaldi was absolutely the best 'modern' Doctor. He was the only one that I felt really carried the true weight of the Doctor... I often felt that Smith and Tennant (though enjoyable) lacked the gravitas and power the doctor should convey. I think Eccleston could've been great, but just didn't stick around long enough to show it.

Doctor Who - 1970-1981

All of the Doctors up to Davison for many diff reasons...TB wins out...I know you like that Gummidge guy quite a bit :madra:

Aye!

I'm going to be watching all those old adventures soon, well ALL the Pertwee and Tom Baker ones plus some Troughton ones, and the Peter Cushing films. I have them all on DVD now. I haven't watched them since the first time I saw them back in the day so that'll be fun.

When I first started watching Dr. Who, the Tom Baker ones were all that was showing, on Sundays on like local low budget channel 59. He is still my favorite one. I even knitted his scarf, the station would send the pattern for free. It only took like 15 years on and off! :LOL:

• Like 2

Doctor Who - 1970-1981

Aye!

When I first started watching Dr. Who, the Tom Baker ones were all that was showing, on Sundays on like local low budget channel 59. He is still my favorite one. I even knitted his scarf, the station would send the pattern for free. It only took like 15 years on and off! :LOL:

Excellent!

• Like 1

Doctor Who - 1970-1981

Aye!

I even liked what Hartnell had to offer, the way they produced back then is a fascinating time in Brit TV history. Well done for snagging the DVDs. The older are hard to get locally now, have to line up some bulk buy-ups soon for sure.

Edited by Steevo

Hey everyone! I was wondering if you could advise.

Britbox has ALL the Dr Who series from William Hartnell, right up to Paul Mcgann.

I've hardly seen these classic series - started from Christopher Eccleston. Yes, I know, awful.

Anyhow, Gilby and I would like to cherry pick Hartnell and Troughton, then work up from Jon Pertwee. This is mostly because Gilby remembers Pertwee and isnt that interested in the first two. I'm thinking about watching those on my own at some point.

Anyhoo, we were wondering if you could provide a "best of" list of the Hartnell and Troughton episodes. We are already working through the first four: An Unearthly Child, etc.

Can you help?

• Like 1

Hey everyone! I was wondering if you could advise.

Britbox has ALL the Dr Who series from William Hartnell, right up to Paul Mcgann.

I've hardly seen these classic series - started from Christopher Eccleston. Yes, I know, awful.

Anyhow, Gilby and I would like to cherry pick Hartnell and Troughton, then work up from Jon Pertwee. This is mostly because Gilby remembers Pertwee and isnt that interested in the first two. I'm thinking about watching those on my own at some point.

Anyhoo, we were wondering if you could provide a "best of" list of the Hartnell and Troughton episodes. We are already working through the first four: An Unearthly Child, etc.

Can you help?

I'm not sure about William Hartnell but for Troughton you need to get:

The War Games (his final adventure which sets the stage for Jon Pertwee, it's a classic too)

The Seeds of Death

The Tomb of the Cybermen

The Web of Fear

The Enemy of the World

• Like 2

Can you help?

If you're still looking for Hartnell recommendations:

After Unearthly Child, go straight into-

The Daleks

The Azteks

The Dalek Invasion of Earth

The Rescue (only a 2 parter, but introduces new companion Vicki)

The Romans (Hartnell showing he can do comedy brilliantly)

The Time Meddler (my favourite of his)

The Tenth Planet (his last one)

I'd also add "Invasion" to Ducky's list of Troughton stories. It sets the template for the Jon Pertwee era. And "The Mind Robber" which is very trippy and imaginative.

Edited by Your_Lion
  • Like 1

I'm watching S12 because, well, I've always watched the show...it's one of those threads spanning across the decades of life that is sort of comforting in a way. I admit I'm having some difficulty embracing Jodie's incarnation, just because I feel like there are some markedly more powerful actresses who could be making the first female Doctor into a bigger deal, Tilda Swinton being the one I most often find myself imagining. We just watched Constantine when company was up for the holidays, and the scene where we first see Tilda as Gabriel in the library, in that elegant suit with that self-possessed, otherworldly, quietly smoldering look of someone who has been around a very long time and seen things ordinary people can't imagine. For a second there, I could almost imagine that as The Doctor, and a formidable version it would be.

Btw, it's hard not to mention...What was up with that business at the beginning of E1 with The Doctor working on the TARDIS in an auto garage by poking around the bottom of it with hoses seemingly extending out of its inner dimensions right through its outer plasmic shell through the bottom of the police box? So now stuff can poke out of the interior dimensions anywhere a writer pleases? Strange.