The Doctor Who thread.

The Owl

My two boys and I watched Doctor Who together today. They've never seen it before. My 10 year LOVED it. the youngest was just silent. Fun and retro. Loved it. Now on to MST 3000

Classic or NewWho?

Classic. It's on retroTV. Still great though.

:ebert: Nice, which Doctor was it?

Tom Baker

So fun to watch my oldest wrap his head around the show. As I watched it, I was reminded it was fountain of creativity on a shoestring budget...and good for the lads as well.

After that, an introduction to MST3000 happened. Another great show

If you're going to start watching Doctor Who, then Baker is the way to go. It took me years, literally, to be convinced to watch any other doctor. I still cry a little admitting that Tennant is my now favorite, followed by Baker, then Smith, then Davison who I actually wouldn't watch because he followed Baker! I like him though. In a last place kind of way.

• Like 3

My two boys and I watched Doctor Who together today. They've never seen it before. My 10 year LOVED it. the youngest was just silent. Fun and retro. Loved it. Now on to MST 3000

Classic or NewWho?

Classic. It's on retroTV. Still great though.

:ebert: Nice, which Doctor was it?

Tom Baker

So fun to watch my oldest wrap his head around the show. As I watched it, I was reminded it was fountain of creativity on a shoestring budget...and good for the lads as well.

After that, an introduction to MST3000 happened. Another great show

Absolutely! The creativity that went into getting the show made for the meagre budget is staggering. In fact, the show wouldn't have been as iconic if it had a huge budget from the start: the only reason the TARDIS is stuck as a Police Box is because the production team didn't have enough money to make any more props, so had to think of a reason why.

I had no idea of the reason why. Thanks, Yuor_Lnio..! :)

Started watching the Dr. at the behest of my oldest son.

Netflicks binging--8 or 10 episodes per week--I am now deep into season 5 and loving it--can't believe that I didn't know the doctor before now.

Takes a little time to warm up to each new Doctor but I have learned to appreciate each in his own way.

After I finish the new, I want to watch as much of the old series as I can.

• Like 2

Hey it looks like Clara is finally leaving this series!

Noticed that too.

I'm not as big a Clara hater as some are, but even I thought the Christmas episode was the right time for her to go. I thought the bit where the Doctor goes to her, and she's an old woman, was a great way to say goodbye to a companion. But it was all a dream.

I haven't a clue how they're going to write her out, since she's already left the Doctor a couple of times, and she's survived dying multiple times.

• Like 1

Noticed that too.

I'm not as big a Clara hater as some are, but even I thought the Christmas episode was the right time for her to go. I thought the bit where the Doctor goes to her, and she's an old woman, was a great way to say goodbye to a companion. But it was all a dream.

I haven't a clue how they're going to write her out, since she's already left the Doctor a couple of times, and she's survived dying multiple times.

Agreed. I actually really like Clara with Capaldi. It's like when she stopped being a plot device (The Impossible Girl!) she became a person, and that person was actually OK and kind of engaging. Still, I thought the X-mas special was a good time to have her bow out. I think that will dilute the impact of her eventual exit.

• Like 1

Noticed that too.

Agreed. I actually really like Clara with Capaldi. It's like when she stopped being a plot device (The Impossible Girl!) she became a person, and that person was actually OK and kind of engaging. Still, I thought the X-mas special was a good time to have her bow out. I think that will dilute the impact of her eventual exit.

So do you think Amy and Rory might come back?

Edited by Babycat

Noticed that too.

Nah, the woman that plays Amy has too much going on career wise. She's doing the whole Marvel thing right now

Noticed that too.

It would only be for an episode or two if they do, nothing permanent.

Karen Gillan is slowly making her way into the American market now with her role in Guardians Of The Galaxy and the failed sitcom she did last year. So, she will probably be getting more roles here. Arthur Darvill was on Broadchurch but i'm not sure what else he's done since leaving Doctor Who. I don't think it would be impossible to get them both to come back for another story.

Because of how fond Matt Smith's Doctor was of Amy, it would certainly be interesting to see how the current Doctor would interact with her.

Edited by J2112YYZ

Aside from the occasional cameo, an old companion has never returned full time.

I know it might seem weird, but I've always liked Rose.

Baby have you ever done something silly you just couldn't help, like dance really badly to a song you liked in front of people you really really didn't want to be seen doing that shit in front of? And they looked at you afterwards like you were something mushy they'd just stepped in?

Baby have you ever done something silly you just couldn't help, like dance really badly to a song you liked in front of people you really really didn't want to be seen doing that shit in front of? And they looked at you afterwards like you were something mushy they'd just stepped in?

Not that I know of. Why?

Not that I know of. Why?

These are the questions that need to be asked. :AlienSmiley:

Not that I know of. Why?

These are the questions that need to be asked. :AlienSmiley:

Fair enough :)

Tonight's episode is highly 60's/William Hartnell inspired. Featuring 60's era Daleks alongside the 21st century models, and the Dalek city using the same design look as in the first Dalek story from the 60's...Capaldi is even wearing trousers similar to William Hartnell's plaid trousers
  • Like 1

Loved it.

I felt a shiver when the kid said his name (avoiding spoilers in case anyone hasn't seen it yet)

The Doctor on the guitar was hilarious :haz:

But most of all, I loved the return of the 2-parter. Cliff-hangers have always been an important part of Who, and that was a doozy.

• Like 2

Spoilers...

Did anyone notice that when the Daleks shot Missy and Clara, it did not do the traditional 'skeleton' death that the Dalek gun causes? Rather, they were vaporized...

It then cuts forward to the Doctor, holding a Dalek weapon, pointing it at child Davros.

My theory: it isn't a normal Dalek weapon. It's a teleport beam. The Dalek that shot Missy, Clara and the TARDIS really just transported them somewhere. So with that 'weapon', the Doctor is going to go back and shoot child Davros, teleporting him out of the minefield, and hopefully setting him on a more peaceful path in life.

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 2

Spoilers...

Did anyone notice that when the Daleks shot Missy and Clara, it did not do the traditional 'skeleton' death that the Dalek gun causes? Rather, they were vaporized...

It then cuts forward to the Doctor, holding a Dalek weapon, pointing it at child Davros.

My theory: it isn't a normal Dalek weapon. It's a teleport beam. The Dalek that shot Missy, Clara and the TARDIS really just transported them somewhere. So with that 'weapon', the Doctor is going to go back and shoot child Davros, teleporting him out of the minefield, and hopefully setting him on a more peaceful path in life.

Good theory. Teleport beams disguised as weapons have been used by the Daleks before, in Bad/Wolf Parting of the Ways to transport the winners of the gameshows over to the Dalek ship.
  • Like 1

Very good episode.

When that kid said his name, I was like :o

KenJennings, good call on what happened with Clara and Missy. I can certainly see that being the case.

I'm glad the two part/multiple part stories are making a return. I always felt that a lot of the newer episodes feel a bit rushed when each story was one and done. I especially felt like that for a lot of the Matt Smith stories. I haven't seen that much of the classic series but I feel there was more of an opportunity to let the story develop and let the audience take everything in with the multiple part stories. Some work as a single episode but I think it benefits the show more to have multiple parts to each one and have a cliffhanger feel to it.

Speaking of classic Who, on sunday morning's BBC America is now showing episodes with Tom Baker. They advertised it as "breakfast with Baker". It just started this week but they are showing full stories from the Baker era. Not sure how long this will go for but it's just a heads up for anyone who wants to check out or re-watch old Who episodes with Baker.

• Like 2

Very good episode.

When that kid said his name, I was like :o

KenJennings, good call on what happened with Clara and Missy. I can certainly see that being the case.

I'm glad the two part/multiple part stories are making a return. I always felt that a lot of the newer episodes feel a bit rushed when each story was one and done. I especially felt like that for a lot of the Matt Smith stories. I haven't seen that much of the classic series but I feel there was more of an opportunity to let the story develop and let the audience take everything in with the multiple part stories. Some work as a single episode but I think it benefits the show more to have multiple parts to each one and have a cliffhanger feel to it.

Speaking of classic Who, on sunday morning's BBC America is now showing episodes with Tom Baker. They advertised it as "breakfast with Baker". It just started this week but they are showing full stories from the Baker era. Not sure how long this will go for but it's just a heads up for anyone who wants to check out or re-watch old Who episodes with Baker.

I had that same exp<b></b>ression from when that kid said his name. I actually said out loud: "Did he say---?"

Loved it.

I felt a shiver when the kid said his name (avoiding spoilers in case anyone hasn't seen it yet)

The Doctor on the guitar was hilarious :haz:

But most of all, I loved the return of the 2-parter. Cliff-hangers have always been an important part of Who, and that was a doozy.

Being honest here... I'm really not liking Capaldi, still, but I LOVED this episode. I have so many theories. I thought of you YL. I know you're a huge DW fan and was looking forward to coming here and reading your input. :)

• Like 1