The Doctor Who thread.

The Owl

Got The Moonbase on DVD. A four part Patrick Troughton adventure, with the two sadly missing episodes replaced with brand new animation to the original soundtrack.

I think this is the fifth DVD released with animation, and this one was the best one yet...I really did feel like I was watching the actual episode...it was brilliantly done.

The story itself was fantastic. Troughton's 4th story, and the Cybermen's 2nd story...and the Doctor and his companions walking on the surface of the Moon a whole two years before anyone did in real life.

Here it is:

http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad190/TDear_1984/capaldi_doctor_who_costume_zps91d43370.jpg

I like it...the red lining gives it a Jon Pertwee vibe...but, i don't know, there just seems to be something missing

• Like 3

Definitely a hat. A modern twist of the sort Captain Cook might have worn, maybe?!?

Here it is:

http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad190/TDear_1984/capaldi_doctor_who_costume_zps91d43370.jpg

I like it...the red lining gives it a Jon Pertwee vibe...but, i don't know, there just seems to be something missing

Love it! Love everything about it!

More on set pictures are starting to appear. I can't wait to see him in action.

I may not bother with the next series. Matt Smith was Dr Who - Capaldi is just acting!!

Clara was good but I miss Amy too.

I hate Doctor Who.

More like Doctor Poo!!!

Hehe hehe...Seggerz, always good for a laff!

Am I talking to myself?

Go away.

Who?

My precioussss...

$0.02

I may not bother with the next series. Matt Smith was Dr Who - Capaldi is just acting!!

Clara was good but I miss Amy too.

That's the great thing about Doctor Who (or not-so-great, depending on your point of view)...it's all about change, both in front of the camera and behind the scenes.

Without change, it would never have made it beyond William Hartnell.

• Like 1

RIP Christopher Barry :rose:

The veteran Doctor Who director has died at the age of 88, after a fall at his home in Oxfordshire.

Christopher Barry was responsible for some of the most admired stories from the classic series of Doctor Who, where he was the longest serving director, responsible for 43 episodes spanning the years 1963-1979. He directed all of the first four Doctors - one of only three directors to do so.

Barry joined the Doctor Who team in the late summer of 1963, when he was assigned to direct the second story, The Daleks, the first story to feature the Doctor's most famous foe. He returned for The Rescue, The Romans and The Savages, all featuring William Hartnell as the Doctor.

In 1966, Barry masterminded the introduction of a new Doctor, when he directed Patrick Troughton's first story, The Power of the Daleks. The story, long missing from the archives, had the difficult job of introducing a new lead actor to the series and cementing the long term success of the series.

His next outing was with the third Doctor, Jon Pertwee, when he directed the 1971 story The Dæmons. Long regarded as a classic, the story is often cited as a favourite by members of the cast and production team. Barry returned the following year to direct the six part story The Mutants.

Having overseen the debut of one Doctor in 1966, Barry was able to do so once again when, at the end of 1974, he directed Robot, introducing the world to the man who would become the longest-serving (continuous) on-screen Doctor - and arguably the most famous in the public eye from the 'classic' era - Tom Baker. Barry returned to direct The Brain of Morbius and The Creature from the Pit.

RIP to a great Doctor Who director :rose:

• Like 1

My friend and her hubby took their 8 year old daughter to the New Orleans Comic Con this past weekend and they got to meet Matt Smith. She said he was very nice and her daughter was just beyond happy! Her daughter has really gotten into Doctor Who with Matt- of course due to her age. I think it was so cool that she got to meet her Doctor!

Cheers,

frippy

• Like 2

RIP Christopher Barry :rose:

The veteran Doctor Who director has died at the age of 88, after a fall at his home in Oxfordshire.

Christopher Barry was responsible for some of the most admired stories from the classic series of Doctor Who, where he was the longest serving director, responsible for 43 episodes spanning the years 1963-1979. He directed all of the first four Doctors - one of only three directors to do so.

Barry joined the Doctor Who team in the late summer of 1963, when he was assigned to direct the second story, The Daleks, the first story to feature the Doctor's most famous foe. He returned for The Rescue, The Romans and The Savages, all featuring William Hartnell as the Doctor.

In 1966, Barry masterminded the introduction of a new Doctor, when he directed Patrick Troughton's first story, The Power of the Daleks. The story, long missing from the archives, had the difficult job of introducing a new lead actor to the series and cementing the long term success of the series.

His next outing was with the third Doctor, Jon Pertwee, when he directed the 1971 story The Dæmons. Long regarded as a classic, the story is often cited as a favourite by members of the cast and production team. Barry returned the following year to direct the six part story The Mutants.

Having overseen the debut of one Doctor in 1966, Barry was able to do so once again when, at the end of 1974, he directed Robot, introducing the world to the man who would become the longest-serving (continuous) on-screen Doctor - and arguably the most famous in the public eye from the 'classic' era - Tom Baker. Barry returned to direct The Brain of Morbius and The Creature from the Pit.

RIP to a great Doctor Who director :rose:

Aw..... :( R.I.P. :rose:

At first, it took me a while to warm up to Tennant (I was a die hard Baker fan). Then, the more I watched Tennant, the more I loved him and he became my favorite. Then, I had a hard time warming up to Smith. But now I like him. I still like Tennant's Doctor though; however, there was one Smith episode that changed my idea of him. It was, "The Hungry Earth." There was actually a particular scene where I thought he had shown that he came into his own "Doctor." For those who have seen the episode... the particular scene was where Smith grabs a chair and begins interrogating Alaya, who he has just captured. She's chained to the wall and he is asking her basically why she is doing what she's doing I believe. She states that she's the, "Last of her kind." And you can see this wonderful expression in his face as he tells her not to belittle him. He knows what it's like to be the last of his kind because he IS the last of his kind. That one scene, that one line completely changed my perception of him. I really enjoy the episodes after that one with him.

• Like 2

At first, it took me a while to warm up to Tennant (I was a die hard Baker fan). Then, the more I watched Tennant, the more I loved him and he became my favorite.

Still can't stand him, sorry.

Peter Capaldi comforts young autistic Doctor Who fan.

Great article. Makes me like Capaldi even more.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/05/peter-capaldi-doctor-who-fan-autism_n_4904202.html

What a guy...he's going to make a great Doctor

• Like 1

Peter Capaldi comforts young autistic Doctor Who fan.

Great article. Makes me like Capaldi even more.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/05/peter-capaldi-doctor-who-fan-autism_n_4904202.html

What a guy...he's going to make a great Doctor

What a guy. So patient and understanding. As a mom to a child with autism, I can tell you that not many people understand how to comfort a child like this when they're upset. This was incredible to watch. I admit, it made me tear up a bit. It's just so special to see something like this.

Thanks for posting this Y_L!

• Like 1