The Doctor Who thread.

The Owl

On a side note, just got The Mind of Evil on DVD, which was released today. So that means I've now got the complete run of Jon Pertwee stories on DVD. Just about to watch it now.
  • Like 1

On a side note, just got The Mind of Evil on DVD, which was released today. So that means I've now got the complete run of Jon Pertwee stories on DVD. Just about to watch it now.

Nice. My collection of Tom is coming along fine as well :cheers:

• Like 1

Good good :cheers:

For Tom, I've only got Terror of the Zygons left to get, which isn't released until the end of September

• Like 1

For Tom, I've only got Terror of the Zygons left to get, which isn't released until the end of September

Excellent work. Are you a completist with the first two Docs?

Yeah. I've got all of there stories that are complete, which is depressingly few, especially for Patrick Troughton.

But for the stories that still partially exist, they have started animating the missing episodes. They have released two of those already, which are really well done, with more coming in the future.

Yeah. I've got all of there stories that are complete, which is depressingly few, especially for Patrick Troughton.

But for the stories that still partially exist, they have started animating the missing episodes. They have released two of those already, which are really well done, with more coming in the future.

One more Q, are you picking up the official magazine? I see it in my local newsagents occasionally but haven't had time to look through it yet.

One more Q, are you picking up the official magazine? I see it in my local newsagents occasionally but haven't had time to look through it yet.

Yeah, I get the Doctor Who Magazine every month. It's a great magazine for behind the scenes on the show, and interviews with with just about everyone. The best thing about it is the balance between the eras it covers. It's not just for the new stuff. There are always articles and interviews stretching right back to the 60's, right up to present day.

One recent highlight was a newly discovered interview with Jon Pertwee, from shortly before his death. He was candid about his life, from standing up to bullies as a child in a strict boarding school, to accounts of his time in WW2, you could see all the things that he put into his Doctor. It was quite an emotional read.

Only a thought: Remember the days of Tom Baker? He stayed for 7 years. Why can't that happen now? If the dude stayed put for long enough, we wouldn't be running out of regenerations.

Only a thought: Remember the days of Tom Baker? He stayed for 7 years. Why can't that happen now? If the dude stayed put for long enough, we wouldn't be running out of regenerations.

A big part of that today is playing The Doctor makes that person so well known that they end up getting a lot of offers to do other acting projects. I'm sure David Tennant and Matt Smith would've loved to stay longer but a role like this makes them more in demand then ever before and after awhile they just want to go on and do other things. They will always be remembered as The Doctor no matter what else they go on to do though.

Yeah, I get the Doctor Who Magazine every month. It's a great magazine for behind the scenes on the show, and interviews with with just about everyone. The best thing about it is the balance between the eras it covers. It's not just for the new stuff. There are always articles and interviews stretching right back to the 60's, right up to present day.

One recent highlight was a newly discovered interview with Jon Pertwee, from shortly before his death. He was candid about his life, from standing up to bullies as a child in a strict boarding school, to accounts of his time in WW2, you could see all the things that he put into his Doctor. It was quite an emotional read.

Awesome, I'll have to look into it more, I thought mostly new gen so I was put off. Speaking of Jon, I had no idea the recently deceased Bill Pertwee (warden in Dad's Army) was related to him.

Speaking of Jon, I had no idea the recently deceased Bill Pertwee (warden in Dad's Army) was related to him.

Talented family.

Not only that, but the part of Captain Mainwaring in Dad's Army was originally written for Jon Pertwee to play (due to his part in The Navy Lark radio series), but Jon Pertwee had just begun a successful run on stage, so couldn't take the part.

However, he didn't regret his decision not to do it, saying he didn't think he could have done the part as well as Arthur Lowe did...and if he did play Mainwaring, he would have been unavailable to play the Doctor later

Things would have turned out very differently.

Speaking of Jon, I had no idea the recently deceased Bill Pertwee (warden in Dad's Army) was related to him.

Talented family.

Not only that, but the part of Captain Mainwaring in Dad's Army was originally written for Jon Pertwee to play (due to his part in The Navy Lark radio series), but Jon Pertwee had just begun a successful run on stage, so couldn't take the part.

However, he didn't regret his decision not to do it, saying he didn't think he could have done the part as well as Arthur Lowe did...and if he did play Mainwaring, he would have been unavailable to play the Doctor later

This is very fascinating - I had no idea that Captain Mainwaring could've been played by Jon Pertwee. Imagine him playing alongside his cousin Bill..! :)

A big part of that today is playing The Doctor makes that person so well known that they end up getting a lot of offers to do other acting projects. I'm sure David Tennant and Matt Smith would've loved to stay longer but a role like this makes them more in demand then ever before and after awhile they just want to go on and do other things. They will always be remembered as The Doctor no matter what else they go on to do though.

I see what you mean. Thank you for explaining this. :)

Talented family.

This is very fascinating - I had no idea that Captain Mainwaring could've been played by Jon Pertwee. Imagine him playing alongside his cousin Bill..! :)

Thanks YL, fascinating...I haven't really looked into Jon's story.

I know BC but I'm glad it went the way it did!

Talented family.

Thanks YL, fascinating...I haven't really looked into Jon's story.

I know BC but I'm glad it went the way it did!

True..! :)

On a suggestion from Steevo, I present my Doctor Who DVD collection (photos aren't great, but you get the idea)

Classic series:

http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad190/TDear_1984/DWdvd_zps8c501ed1.jpg

New series:

http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad190/TDear_1984/NDWdvd_zpse73c5f1b.jpg

• Like 4

On a suggestion from Steevo, I present my Doctor Who DVD collection (photos aren't great, but you get the idea)

Classic series:

http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad190/TDear_1984/DWdvd_zps8c501ed1.jpg

New series:

http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad190/TDear_1984/NDWdvd_zpse73c5f1b.jpg

Jesus Christ!! :o

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

• Like 1

It's posts like this I miss Jaye's input as well, she was a huge Who fan from what I remember :(

Book collection next YL.. :ebert:

You've inspired me to put mine up soon...nowhere near this much, but it's still in progress for a few more :)

Edited by Steevo

It's posts like this I miss Jaye's input as well, she was a huge Who fan from what I remember :(

You've inspired me to put mine up soon...nowhere near this much, but it's still in progress for a few more :)

Go for it Steevo. I'd love to see what you've got...and also what your favourites are

Go for it Steevo. I'd love to see what you've got...and also what your favourites are

Ok, I'll try and make the effort sometime this weekend. Are you able to put up your books as well? :ebert:

I've been re-watching these old clips from a show called Dead Ringers.

Impressionist Jon Culshaw doing candid camera style pranks as the 4th Doctor. Enjoy:

12th Doctor to be announced tomorrow http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/happy/happy0208.gif