The Doctor Who thread.

The Owl

I took me a bit to warm up to Matt Smith as The Doctor but now I find the longer he does it the more i'm liking him.

Glad you're warming to Matt Smith. I think the way he plays the Doctor is closer to the the old Doctors. I'd say he's what you'd get if you threw Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker into a blender.

I took me a bit to warm up to Matt Smith as The Doctor but now I find the longer he does it the more i'm liking him.

Glad you're warming to Matt Smith. I think the way he plays the Doctor is closer to the the old Doctors. I'd say he's what you'd get if you threw Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker into a blender.

BBC America has been showing a bunch of reruns over christmas and new years and they showed a bunch of episodes from season five. I found myself enjoying Smith's performance much better upon seeing some of these episodes for the second time. The main reason I never warmed up to him right away was because of how great I thought David Tennant was as The Doctor. So throughout the whole first season or so of Smith's run I kept saying to myself "he's doing a good job but he's no David Tennant".

Of course falling madly in love with Karen Gillan from the moment she showed up might have distracted me a bit from Smith's performance as well :LOL:

On the 27th at 9pm, BBC America is showing a two hour special called "Doctor Who: The Doctors Revisited". This episode is about the first Doctor, so i'm guessing they're doing this for all the Doctors?

Since I haven't seen any of the classic episodes yet, I would say this might be a good way for me to get an introduction to them.

On the 27th at 9pm, BBC America is showing a two hour special called "Doctor Who: The Doctors Revisited". This episode is about the first Doctor, so i'm guessing they're doing this for all the Doctors?

Since I haven't seen any of the classic episodes yet, I would say this might be a good way for me to get an introduction to them.

Wow! Sounds great!

Just looked it up, and it appears they're having one a month, so that the last one will coincide with November (which is the 50th anniversary). Great idea!

Wow! Sounds great!

Just looked it up, and it appears they're having one a month, so that the last one will coincide with November (which is the 50th anniversary). Great idea!

:clap: I can't believe it's 50! :clap:

Wow! Sounds great!

And yet he looks so young

Wow! Sounds great!

And yet he looks so young

The funny thing is that the first doctor was the oldest person to play him and the current doctor is the youngest.

Started adding the classic Who stuff to my netflix account over the weekend. The first two discs from Doctor Who: The Beginning will be arriving soon. I'm very interested in seeing how it all started. Hopefully the whole original series won't take me too long to get through :LOL:

Edited by J2112YYZ

So, after skimming through this thread and doing some other research on the internet, I decided when it comes to the classic stuff i'm gonna start with the Tom Baker episodes. Besides Tennant, everyone seems to say he was the best Doctor and he was the longest running one. I figured since he was on the show for so long, starting with him would be a good history lesson on the show for me. I still want to see all the Doctors but going through everything is gonna take me a very long while. So, I figured I would go with the guy a lot of people consider to be the best Doctor.

So, after skimming through this thread and doing some other research on the internet, I decided when it comes to the classic stuff i'm gonna start with the Tom Baker episodes. Besides Tennant, everyone seems to say he was the best Doctor and he was the longest running one. I figured since he was on the show for so long, starting with him would be a good history lesson on the show for me. I still want to see all the Doctors but going through everything is gonna take me a very long while. So, I figured I would go with the guy a lot of people consider to be the best Doctor.

Good plan :yes:

Are you going to start with his first story and work through in order?

Just got Reign of Terror, with William Hartnell, with the missing 4th and 5th episodes animated. Can't wait to watch.

Good plan :yes:

Are you going to start with his first story and work through in order?

Yes, Netflix sent me Robot and The Arch In Space and I watched them this weekend. Next up is The Sontaran Experiment and Genesis Of The Daleks.

I didn't think the story in Robot was anything that great but the point of the episode was to introduce the new Doctor after his regeneration which it did a good job of. I liked the story for The Arch In Space, it's a plot that wouldn't be out of place at all if it happened on the show today.

I'm only two stories in but I already find Tom Baker very entertaining as The Doctor. If he's like this through his whole run, I can certainly understand why he's a lot of people's favorite Doctor. He's a great mixture of serious and funny in the role. I love his wide eyed stare and the goffy smiles he does. It really drives home the fact that this Doctor isn't really all there which makes the character more interesting. His apparent love for jelly babies is a funny little touch to the character to.

The "graphics" and show production leaves a lot to be desired considering I got into this show by seeing the newer episodes first. But i'm able to look past that and I understand that technology just wasn't that far along yet back then.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

Glad you're enjoying Tom's Doctor. There's some treats ahead.

And it's good to be able to look beyond the production. Even for it's time, Doctor Who had a small budget (it was budgeted as a children's program, which didn't get as much as the adult dramas), so most of the time, just getting the episode finished was a miracle. If it looked decent too, then that was the icing on the cake.

Just got Reign of Terror, with William Hartnell, with the missing 4th and 5th episodes animated. Can't wait to watch.

Great animation! Now they should do the two missing episodes of The Ice Warriors...that would be great.

And it's good to be able to look beyond the production. Even for it's time, Doctor Who had a small budget (it was budgeted as a children's program, which didn't get as much as the adult dramas), so most of the time, just getting the episode finished was a miracle. If it looked decent too, then that was the icing on the cake.

Was there a reason it was budgeted like that? There's stuff in it that kids would enjoy but the show deals with a lot of death, destruction and end of the world stuff. I certainly wouldn't be marketing those topics to children.

Was there a reason it was budgeted like that? There's stuff in it that kids would enjoy but the show deals with a lot of death, destruction and end of the world stuff. I certainly wouldn't be marketing those topics to children.

Part of the original remit for the show was to be educational, which is why for the first year or two, every alternate story was a historical adventure, so the kids could learn about history.

The guys in charge of the BBC always thought of it as a childrens show, and gave it very little respect, even at the heights of it's popularity in the 70's. It wasn't until the re-launch in 2005 that the BBC have given it any respect at all.

Watched The Sontaran Experiment and Genesis Of The Daleks last night. Enjoyed both of them, especially Genesis which was a very good story. I'm begininng to see why everyone likes Sarah Jane so much now. She was very good in both stories and she was a real cutie back then. She has a real likable quality to her just like Amy.

Genesis Of The Daleks was easily one of my favorite stories of the series so far. I like how for the newer series they really didn't change the look for the Daleks or Davros all that much. They moderned the look up for the new series but still remain true to how they originally looked. The Sontaran's went through a bit of a change though as the newer version of them looks meaner than the old one. Either way they're still just potato dwarfs :LOL:

• Like 1

:yes: Genesis is an all time classic.

Sarah Jane was the quintessential companion of the old series, she was in it for the longest too. Easy to see why she was the one they chose to bring back in the new series. Lis Sladen was amazing in the part, and it's really sad that she's no longer with us.

I also like Harry, who was only in that one year. The part was written because they thought they were going to cast a much older Doctor, who would need a young 'action man' companion (like the first Doctor always had). But when they cast Tom Baker, who could clearly handle all the action himself, the part of Harry became a bit redundant.

But I still like the character and think he's quite funny.

Season continues saturday march 30th at 8 on BBC America :7up:

Can't wait for new episodes. :yay:

And it's cool that it's premiering over there on the same day as over here...which doesn't always happen

Season continues saturday march 30th at 8 on BBC America :7up:

Can't wait for new episodes. :yay:

And it's cool that it's premiering over there on the same day as over here...which doesn't always happen

It's also been moved up an hour now. Maybe since it's getting more popular in the US they're trying to expand the audience even more by putting it on earlier.

:yes: Genesis is an all time classic.

Sarah Jane was the quintessential companion of the old series, she was in it for the longest too. Easy to see why she was the one they chose to bring back in the new series. Lis Sladen was amazing in the part, and it's really sad that she's no longer with us.

In agreement (again).

Finally some new episodes.

But only 8 for the rest of 2013, did I read that right?

That's kind of a bummer.

Yep that's right...it's counted as being the same series/season as last years episodes (of which there was only 5 plus the Christmas episode)

Alas, the BBC is short of cash, so we have to be grateful for any new episodes

Finally some new episodes.

But only 8 for the rest of 2013, did I read that right?

That's kind of a bummer.

Yep that's right...it's counted as being the same series/season as last years episodes (of which there was only 5 plus the Christmas episode)

Alas, the BBC is short of cash, so we have to be grateful for any new episodes

Why is the BBC short on cash?