The Doctor Who thread.

The Owl

QUOTE (Your_Lion @ Jun 12 2012, 11:04 AM)
Just pre-ordered the Death to the Daleks DVD, with Jon Pertwee. Out next monday.

Great story.

The first episode is really atmospheric, with the power failing in the TARDIS, and the misty planet. Cool stuff.

Plus, it's a bit different with the Daleks having to make a truce. (There's a funny clip of an unused take, were all the Daleks are whispering to each other. It just sounds silly laugh.gif )

RIP Caroline John rose.gif

British actress Caroline John, known to many for playing Doctor Who companion Liz Shaw, has died at the age of 71. A funeral was held in south-west London on Wednesday for the Yorkshire-born actress, who starred opposite Jon Pertwee's Doctor in the BBC series.

Caroline John played Liz Shaw in Spearhead from Space, The Silurians, The Ambassadors of Death and Inferno, and later reprised her role in 1983's 20th anniversary story The Five Doctors.

Doctor Who chief writer Steven Moffat paid tribute to "a brilliant actress" and "tremendous co-star" for Pertwee. He said Liz Shaw was "not just a sidekick but a scientist in her own right and a match for the universe's number one know-all. The Doctor's companions should never be his assistants - they're the people who keep him on his toes and that's what Caroline did."

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5yuyzqlNq1r2z56io1_500.jpg

A friend and I recently watched the two feature films from the 60s that star Peter Cushing as the Doctor. We then watched the documentary Dalekmania that came with the set.

The films are lots of fun and Cushing is great as always, but it's strange to have a Doctor who is referred to as "Doctor Who" rather than simply "The Doctor" and is human rather than an alien.

QUOTE (Yefa @ Jun 23 2012, 03:48 PM)
A friend and I recently watched the two feature films from the 60s that star Peter Cushing as the Doctor. We then watched the documentary Dalekmania that came with the set.
The films are lots of fun and Cushing is great as always, but it's strange to have a Doctor who is referred to as "Doctor Who" rather than simply "The Doctor" and is human rather than an alien.

Yeah. Back when the Cushing films were made, not a lot of the Doctor's backstory had been revealed. Gallifrey hadn't been thought of yet, neither had the term 'Time Lord'.

They're enjoyable movies, though. Big budget remakes of the first Dalek story and the Dalek Invasion of Earth. I heard they were also intending to remake the third dalek story, The Chase...which would have been weird.

QUOTE (Your_Lion @ Jun 12 2012, 05:04 AM)
Just pre-ordered the Death to the Daleks DVD, with Jon Pertwee. Out next monday.

Have you seen the missing episodes to "The Invasion" story on Dailymotion? They used a cartoon version. Nicely done. They should do that with all the lost stories. Btw, I'm starting to think the Troughton-Hines pairing is one of the best in Doctor Who. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Jun 29 2012, 01:50 AM)
QUOTE (Your_Lion @ Jun 12 2012, 05:04 AM)

Have you seen the missing episodes to "The Invasion" story on Dailymotion? They used a cartoon version. Nicely done. They should do that with all the lost stories. Btw, I'm starting to think the Troughton-Hines pairing is one of the best in Doctor Who. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Yeah, I love Troughton-Hines...they work great together, and it's different to most Doctor/companion relationships. I love the little bits of fun they put in, like in the Invasion, when they sit down and start playing cards in the street.

The animated episodes of the Invasion are included on the Invasion DVD. Yes they are great!

Unfortunately, the company that did them priced themselves out of the budget of the DVD range, so 2 Entertain have since been looking round for another company who can do it just as good.

The good news is, they have. Hartnell's 'Reign of Terror' has been animated and is due for a DVD release at some point. More should follow.

Got the DVD of 'The Krotons' with Patrick Troughton, which came out yesterday.

Probably most notable for being the first script Robert Holmes submitted for Doctor Who.

Plus, another good performance from Philip Madoc, who went on to play the War Lord in Troughton's final story 'The War Games', and Solon in Tom Baker classic 'The Brain of Morbius'

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Jul 12 2012, 09:37 PM)
Just watched "Day of the Daleks" again, after many years. Those laser killing effects were definitely ahead of their time. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Day of the Daleks is a great story. The time traveling aspect makes it much more imaginative than the average Dalek story. Plus, I think the Ogrons are great.

QUOTE (Your_Lion @ Jul 14 2012, 06:00 AM)
QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Jul 12 2012, 09:37 PM)
Just watched "Day of the Daleks" again, after many years. Those laser killing effects were definitely ahead of their time.  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Day of the Daleks is a great story. The time traveling aspect makes it much more imaginative than the average Dalek story. Plus, I think the Ogrons are great.

It kinda reminds me of the "Terminator" series. I wonder if they stole the concept from that story...

Caroline John, not too long ago...now more sad news.

Mary Tamm passed away yesterday at the age of 62, after she lost her 18-month battle with cancer .

Maty Tamm played the first incarnation of the Time Lady Romana, alongside Tom Baker's Doctor.

Tom Baker payed tribute to her by saying "She was a darling companion and wonderfully witty and kind. I'm so sorry to hear of her death."

So sad. rose.gif RIP Mary Tamm rose.gif

http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/thegeekfiles/Mary%20Tamm%20Tom%20Baker%20Doctor%20Who.jpg

QUOTE (Your_Lion @ Jul 27 2012, 03:10 PM)
Caroline John, not too long ago...now more sad news.

Mary Tamm passed away yesterday at the age of 62, after she lost her 18-month battle with cancer .

Maty Tamm played the first incarnation of the Time Lady Romana, alongside Tom Baker's Doctor.
Tom Baker payed tribute to her by saying "She was a darling companion and wonderfully witty and kind. I'm so sorry to hear of her death."

So sad. rose.gif RIP Mary Tamm rose.gif

http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/thegeekfiles/Mary%20Tamm%20Tom%20Baker%20Doctor%20Who.jpg

She was a beauty. Such terrible news... sad.gif R.I.P.

She sure was a beauty.

I remember watching 'The Ribos Operation' when I was about 8. At the time, I didn't really understand the story, but I had a major crush on Romana for a while.

Been re-watching the Key to Time season over the last few days. Just got The Armageddon Factor left for tonight.

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Aug 1 2012, 07:05 PM)
Watching some of the Colin Baker episodes...it's a shame he left after only 11 stories. eh.gif

Agreed. Colin Baker is a very underrated Doctor.

He got a bit of the $%^* end of the stick, with the show narrowly avoiding cancellation at the end of his first year, then having the episode count reduced, then getting the sack.

The BBC used him as a scapegoat for the falling viewing figures, despite the fact that his performance was actually the best thing about the show at the time.

QUOTE (Your_Lion @ Aug 2 2012, 10:31 AM)
QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Aug 1 2012, 07:05 PM)
Watching some of the Colin Baker episodes...it's a shame he left after only 11 stories.  eh.gif

Agreed. Colin Baker is a very underrated Doctor.

He got a bit of the $%^* end of the stick, with the show narrowly avoiding cancellation at the end of his first year, then having the episode count reduced, then getting the sack.

The BBC used him as a scapegoat for the falling viewing figures, despite the fact that his performance was actually the best thing about the show at the time.

It seems the stories at the end of Davison era and continued under Baker have gotten darker. A possible reason for the poor ratings... unsure.gif

QUOTE (burgeranacoke @ Aug 3 2012, 12:03 AM)
Nerdgasm Warning!

Doctor Who: Full Length New Series Trailer Autumn 2012 - Series 7 - BBC One

Cool! Can't wait!!!

The Western episode has got Ben Browder from Farscape and Stargate SG1...it'll be great seeing him in Doctor Who