The Doctor Who thread.

The Owl

Okay, let me say first that I am American, and do not know many other Americans who watch this show.....but it is fantastic. I just started watching this almost 50 year old series about a month ago.... and I am loving it..

I decided to watch the newer episodes (since the 2005 revival) before going back to the Old episodes, and this series is great. Right now I am watching David Tennant's final episode before his regeneration....

I know this to you Brits is like religion over there, but not widely talked about here in the States, that should change......

http://www.njdevs.com/forums/uploads/1216773027/gallery_47_36_34348.jpg

Actually, much as I love SF, I'm not that much of a Dr Who fan. I'll watch it if its on but won't go out of my way to do so.

I think part of the problem comes with the attitude of Who fans. A lot of the time, I've seen acting along the lines of "we're fans of the longest running SF series so we WILL have your unreserved respect and adoration" before getting huffy when you mention the wobbly sets and RADA acting skills of the older episodes. Similarly, they tend to look down their noses at you if you don't immediately prostrate yourself when the name Russel T Davies is mention. (I'm not say this all Who fans but I've certainly encountered a lot of like this).

however, I will say there is one thing makes Dr Who worth watching:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4095/4882089474_c2dbe826e7.jpg

karen-gillan-police-uniform by Slaine2112, on Flickr

I really enjoyed watching Karen Gillan as Amy Pond keeping the Doctor honest. The whole "fractured-wall" angle was beautifully tied up. Can't wait to see where Matt Smith will take Amy and Rory next season. cool.gif

I grew up with Tom Baker as the Doctor and he will always remain as my favorite. I believe, I am not alone in those sentiments. The 41 episodes he did were exceptional. 40, if you decide not to count "Shada." I look forward to each story coming out on DVD. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
  • Like 2

Any other fans from the U.S..

Of what I've seen, I've enjoyed all three doctors of the new series....... Watching the Matt Smith episodes now..... I do miss David Tennant.... his speech at the end of the "Waters of Mars" episode was f***ing fantastic...

"The Laws of Time are mine, AND THEY WILL OBEY ME!"

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Aug 13 2010, 04:39 PM)
I grew up with Tom Baker as the Doctor and he will always remain as my favorite. I believe, I am not alone in those sentiments. The 41 episodes he did were exceptional. 40, if you decide not to count "Shada." I look forward to each story coming out on DVD.  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Couldn't agree more. Just snagged Destiny of Daleks as it happens trink39.gif

I grew up with Baker and a little bit of the Davison stuff. I agree with those who say Baker is THE quintessential Doctor... but it's neat how they don't stick to one "type" when they're re-casting the role as a different regeneration. Davison was very different than Baker, and subsequent Doctors are very different from earlier ones.

Companions? How about Leela, with her skimpy and primitive leather outfits?

• Like 1

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 14 2010, 02:32 AM)
I grew up with Baker and a little bit of the Davison stuff. I agree with those who say Baker is THE quintessential Doctor... but it's neat how they don't stick to one "type" when they're re-casting the role as a different regeneration. Davison was very different than Baker, and subsequent Doctors are very different from earlier ones.

Companions? How about Leela, with her skimpy and primitive leather outfits?

Yes, Louise Jameson was incredibly sexy. As was Katy Manning as jo Grant, Freema Agyeman as Martha and Lalla Ward as Romana (2) - especially when she wore the schoolgirl uniform drool1.gif

With regard to Tom Baker, I read his autobiography last year (well worth it). Apparently, when he met children and they were too shy to ask for his autograph, he would ask them for theirs first and swap the two. Apparently, while he was married to Lalla Ward, she was looking for something in their house and found a drawer filled with little slips of paper with children's signatures on them. Apparently, Baker kept every single one of them.

The guy is more than a great actor - he's an institution.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Aug 14 2010, 09:41 AM)
Louise Jameson was incredibly sexy. As was Katy Manning as jo Grant, Freema Agyeman as Martha and Lalla Ward as Romana (2) - especially when she wore the schoolgirl uniform drool1.gif

I'll take Mary Tamm, (Romana 1) then. common001.gif

I need to get caught up on the old episodes...... Watched a couple of the William Hartnell episodes........ they kind of drag on as opposed to getting to the point.....

Are later episodes a bit more quick paced?

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 17 2010, 07:22 PM)
I need to get caught up on the old episodes...... Watched a couple of the William Hartnell episodes........ they kind of drag on as opposed to getting to the point.....

Are later episodes a bit more quick paced?

I think that can be said about the first three Doctors. Even Jon Pertwee seemed to have long conversations with the Master which slowed things down. It was only when Tom Baker took over, with his famous one liners, did the show picked up the pace. Still, the old stuff is worth watching. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I grew up watching John Pertwee and Tom Baker as a wee girl. Once Tom Baker left I lost track of it until it was revived. Was never keen On Chris Ecclestone but absolutely loved David Tennant. He brought a real energy and joy back to the role.

Sorry - not impressed with Matt Smith new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

I just started watching Doctor Who this year, I started with Christopher Eccleston in 2005 and just finished the new season with Matt Smith. I liked Eccleston, but I really loved David Tennant. He's so emotive, without being annoying. (IMO) I found him to be one of the most endearing characters I've seen on tv in a long time. I liked Matt Smith, but I can't help but miss Tennant.

Does anyone here like the spin-off, Torchwood?

QUOTE (VampireBiscuits @ Aug 20 2010, 06:43 PM)
I just started watching Doctor Who this year, I started with Christopher Eccleston in 2005 and just finished the new season with Matt Smith. I liked Eccleston, but I really loved David Tennant. He's so emotive, without being annoying. (IMO) I found him to be one of the most endearing characters I've seen on tv in a long time. I liked Matt Smith, but I can't help but miss Tennant.
Does anyone here like the spin-off, Torchwood?

I'm a Torchwood addict!!! Adore that programme - so clever. John Barrowman is brilliant. SO glad to hear its back again next year and going Stateside too! applaudit.gif

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Aug 13 2010, 12:39 AM)
I grew up with Tom Baker as the Doctor and he will always remain as my favorite. I believe, I am not alone in those sentiments. The 41 episodes he did were exceptional. 40, if you decide not to count "Shada." I look forward to each story coming out on DVD. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

goodpost.gif

Can't say I'm a Dr. Who fan. But, I remember watching Tom Baker play the Dr back in the 80's when I'd come home from school. Was okay. But, could never get past the special effect compared to Star Wars, etc. even though I knew it was supposed to be more about the story.

Out of curiosity, has anyone read Michael Moorcock's books of Dr. Who? I'm a huge fan of Moorcock's writings so curious about other's thoughts on it.

QUOTE (ForceTen @ Sep 2 2010, 04:00 PM)
Can't say I'm a Dr. Who fan. But, I remember watching Tom Baker play the Dr back in the 80's when I'd come home from school. Was okay. But, could never get past the special effect compared to Star Wars, etc. even though I knew it was supposed to be more about the story.

Out of curiosity, has anyone read Michael Moorcock's books of Dr. Who? I'm a huge fan of Moorcock's writings so curious about other's thoughts on it.

Don't know Moorcock, (maybe I should be happy about that) laugh.gif but you are correct. It was more about the story than special effects. I'm pretty sure I saw strings connected to a model spaceship on one of the episodes. laugh.gif